Madonna - Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones + General Discussion | Page 3751 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna - Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones + General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Excited for her Fallon appearance later today !

Coolrockgirl likes this.
  2. I’m guessing she’s singing due to what she posted in her Insta stories.

3. Technically they’re not singing about being rich, they’re singing about not wanting to be with a broke dude. They’re not buying anything for themselves.

4. I get where @Raichu is coming from, but I think this kind of status flex in hip-hop adjacent tracks has become such a trope by now that these lyrics shouldn't be taken as anything other than that. Or, should they be, I think the subverting point of having Saucy delivering them is much more interesting. I see flaunting your monetary status in hip-hop as being no different to the word "baby" being used 2500 times on average in pop songs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  5. I'm not sure I like this either though. I mean: I understand it and if I'm honest, I also want to have my partner to have an income, but even if it's true, do you say it? Because I feel like being broke is often not the broke person's fault. Rather, they are a victim of an inequitable system.

This is a very interesting point. I guess these tropes just hit a bit different in an era where wealth inequality is center stage. I honestly probably would not have had this reaction back in the day.

RebelFingers, blod and Applause like this.
  6. I mean, Saucy Santana is more or less singing about being a sugar baby, so yes, know your worth!

7. They’re doing a Classroom Instruments segment with the roots (she did Holiday back in 2015).

Coolrockgirl likes this.
  8. I agree that wealth bragging is a problem. But isn’t what Material Gworl’s about (I actually don’t love the song). It starts off with the declaration “I’m not fancy, I just love fancy shit”… nuff said. It’s just a tongue in cheek 2022 update of “Only boys who save their pennies make my rainy day.” In times like this, if we give up on escapism, there’s literally very little left…

9. We’ve had sooooo many songs over the year with “wealth bragging” elements, hell, pretty much the whole 2008-2013 charts were filled with those kind of songs… but they basically translated into weekender club life, surely it’s all just meant to be fun?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    tommylander likes this.
  10. This whole talk over Material Gworllll of all things...
    Can we use the "but it's meant to ironic!112²¹!!" card yet?
    [​IMG]

Itslevvyqueen likes this.
  11. I'd usually be nervous for Fallon for I think she's relaxed and confident these days I think that makes her a better chat show guest, being interviewed or singing.

12. She’s always been great on Fallon. Future Graham Norton is when we should be checking our blood pressure.

Coolrockgirl likes this.
  13. "I will be poor, if the poor are humiliated"

tioknar, Humanracin and Ferk like this.
  14. I don't think she's ever going to stop wearing grillz.

15. She’s Madonna

freeheadmess likes this.
  16. She talked about everybody hating her grillz

17. And they did Music

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.