Madonna - General Discussion | Page 1830 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Something To Remember was a better reissue, done separately from the EU vinyls, so I wonder if it's gonna be any different from its EU reissue from a couple of years ago?

2. I just want a Celebration reissue.

Mvnl likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray

I would so love it if the Bedtime Stories and Ray Of Light vinyls were coloured... For Ray of Light transparent blue and gold please.

4. Hmph. The BS cover is shit quality on the vinyl in the US. The pictures are super grainy. The whole thing looks cheap. That said, it's a gatefold with an inner sleeve, though no new photos. I would have paid ten bucks more for a pink vinyl with sharper cover image.

ManilaChinchilla and Mr.Arroz like this.
  5. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Discogs page is up already: https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Bedtime-Stories/release/8889013

6. I want this Bedtime Stories vinyl. What has started this reappraisal? I've seen like 5 random articles re-examining it this week, plus across various forums. Love *heart emoji*.

--

Lowkey one of her best forgotten treasures.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Mr.Arroz and Andy French like this.
  7. I wish they'd put more effort into these sort of things. There's a very hi res cover (of both versions) ~out there that they could have easily used. Shame.

aaronhansome likes this.
  8. I've always felt Madonna had great chemistry with her male co-stars even if the films were shit. She and Griffin were a blast together in Who's That Girl. Body of Evidence is trashy fun but she and Willem Dafoe did have chemistry.

I love Who's That Girl - the animated opening credits, the music, Madonna and Griffin, Haviland Morris as Wendy Worthington, the tied-up bridesmaids (featuring a pre-Sheila Carter from Young and the Restless and pre-Trump supporter Kimberlin Brown). It's a fun '80s comedy.

EDIT: I just learned that the co-writer Who's That Girl is the ex-husband of one of the judges I used to work for. He also wrote and directed Airplane II.

Kirkland likes this.
  9. I think I'll watch Who's That Girl. I am an eternal Madonna stan but I'm just not bothered about her films at all, or even trying to watch them. I got halfway through Evita.

10. I feel like this is how anything concerning her back catalog is, though. I never want to get anything because, with misguided hope, I always think something more comprehensive will come out? I'm a fool.

mindtrappa likes this.
  11. Madonna's album artwork really does shine on vinyl. Especially the early years.

12. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Probably the fact that it's finally being reissued on vinyl after 20+ years and a cancelled promise of a reissue in 2012. Combined with the resurgence in vinyl in the last few years as well the record historically being written-off or plain under-appreciated by the GP, I think people are really digging into how the album was not only pivotal but necessary for her during that era, but also the Madonna that we got for the rest of 90's.

Just guessing though.

13. Also it's bae.

14. RJF

RJF

It's still basically useless to me outside of the singles and "Sanctuary", but get your lives, girls.

RebelFingers likes this.
  15. I will ALWAYS WORSHIP Madonna for her creating the most erotic / S&M leftfield songs of all time; Erotica and Justify My Love.

No Beyonce, Rihannas, Britneys, Janets, Gags etc - even all of them together come even close to that.

blod, Izzie and Kirkland like this.
  16. So I just started listening to Bedtime Stories for the first time.

I expected to hate it based on my previous perceptions and from comments I've seen but I really like it so far.

Very different to her earlier stuff and it's actually a nice change. Don't Stop is a bop and so is Secret.

rav4boy, LTG, Vasilios and 5 others like this.
  17. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

I love watching your journey!

rav4boy, LTG, Ray and 1 other person like this.
  18. Okay, maybe this is just because it's just a first play through but the second half of this a lot weaker than the first for me.

Maybe it's just because the songs aren't as instant?

19. RJF

RJF

Sis, take "Secret", "Human Nature", "Sanctuary", and the title track and run.

20. Just reached Sanctuary now.

Still have to hear Take A Bow and the title track.

Also, no love for Survival?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.