Madonna - General Discussion | Page 3694 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Body Shop, also a great M ballad.

2. "You'll See" & "Live To Tell" are top-tier for me.

rav4boy, Rooneyboy, Mvnl and 2 others like this.
  3. Great lists, but how can you forgive this gem?

4. One of her most beautiful, elegant melodies and vocals. Sublime production too.

Antony85 and electrosamurai like this.
  5. Such a shame this is buried on a soundtrack nobody bar her fans knows about. She could’ve got away with including it on GHV2 as a “new” track.

6. Why is it called Time Stood Still, she only sings that in the first verse? It’s always bugged me. Surely The Next Best Thing makes sense being the chorus, I wonder if she thought it cheesey or something, anyone know?

7. She saw the first move draft.

Womanizer, rav4boy, LPT and 7 others like this.
  8. I know it's a bit of a flop choice, but Crazy for You is my fav M ballad. You'll See, Rain and The Power of Good-Bye are the only ones that may snatch the title, depending on my mood.

Also, I'm pages late to the Like a Prayer talk, but Love Song is an absolutely hypnotic gem. It really sneaks up on you. I used to prefer Spanish Eyes to it, but now it's the runner-up to Til Death Do Us Part as the top album cut.

9. She really has 20 or more great ballads doesn't she. Other girls don't even have 20 ballads period.

10. My go-to Madonna ballads these days:

Crazy For You
    Live To Tell
    The Look Of Love
    Promise To Try
    Oh Father
    Something To Remember
    This Used To Be My Playground
    In This Life
    Rain
    Take A Bow
    The Power Of Goodbye
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    Ghosttown

WhatKindOfKylie?, Antony85 and Mvnl like this.
  11. It’s a more elegant title to me, and all her movies songs are not tied with the title of the movie (aside from Crazy For You, but that was the European title because of the song!) and Die Another Day.

SlowBurn and Andy French like this.
  12. I love songs that "bury the lede" with the title, so to speak. It makes it hit harder to me

13. Same. Feels a little more creative. I also like when albums don’t have a title track.

rav4boy likes this.
  14. Does anyone have a nice playlist of Madonna ballads post-Something To Remember? Obviously albums like Ray Of Light and American Life, as well as the Evita soundtrack, already offer a lot, but despite being a Little Medonster for quite a while now, I only learned about the existence of Time Stood Still today (!), thanks to this thread, so I'm thinking there might be a few more "forgotten" songs I'm not aware of.

Mvnl likes this.
  15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I might be up for this.
    There's definitely a decent More To Remember in there.

Forgot to mention I love Messiah and Masterpiece to.
    Inside Out as well but that production kinda stopped it from being a ballad I guess.

IEngineered and SlowGinFizzzz like this.
  16. I’ve made this a while back but it’s not strictly ballads it has some sexy midtempos too
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7FJrVtTnxyEIw0RiWtp6xe?si=OyxCEB4rRnOCEW1zgTde1w

SlowGinFizzzz likes this.
  17. I have a fondness for all her Orbit produced ballads - including this cracker

18. Masterpiece and Falling Free are the main reason I revisit MDNA. It’s almost like they should be on another album.

LPT, Antony85, relby and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Did a very quick starting point. Think I got the main ones here
    (Was a bit torn if I should consider Like It Or Not and Rebel Heart ballads. Same for Voices and Crave really. But then Rain was pretty midtempo too? Also obviously noone's here for Hey You, but for completion's sake...)
    Very tempted though to trim the fat, beginning with possibly all Evita songs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.