Madonna - General Discussion | Page 647 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by debord, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Just watched her Super Bowl performance and it was amazing, got chills when Like A Prayer started!

2. I was so worried she wouldn't pull this performance off. I've spent too much time in here with you lot, because I had nothing to worry about, it was magnificent. My favourite bit was the opening sequence (it was so camp) and Give Me All Your Luvin' was fabulous, especially M.I.A. doing her popstar grinding. Then Madonna started Open Your Heart! Then Cee Lo started singing along! And Like A Prayer is still as powerful as it was when it first came out. The audience loved it too.

3. Could the image of Madonna crossing her wrists (the updated Madonna album cover) be the standard cover to MDNA? I notcied it flashing on the floor screen during the Superbowl gig?

4. RJF

RJF

The graphic where the football field was sucked up and enveloped by a starry night sky was breathtaking.

5. SBK

SBK

Like a Prayer really didn't need CeeLo Green. The song is big enough on its own to not need someone perceived as cool to make the kids interested.

6. I think Madonna really held her own against Cee Lo's big body and bigger voice.

7. Credit where credit was due, she did brilliantly with that bit. Once I read about it, it was the only part I was nervous she would be outmatched.

I just can't get over HOW MUCH FUN she appeared to be having. Like, I'm a hardcore fan, but I don't remember the last time she genuinely appeared to be having fun. Like, you could see the sparkle in her eyes the whole time which just made me so happy inside. I'm really excited by how well it all went..

8. SBK

SBK

Well exactly, why was he there? I just felt it was pandering to the youth. She didn't need to do it with that song.

9. I don't know which thread to discuss that performance in but I will post here too!

I believe THAT ladies and gentlemen is why Madonna IS and probably always WILL be the QUEEN OF POP!

Like A Prayer gave me goosebumps, mimed or not...the whole atmosphere was so breathtakingly amazing! Words are indescribable.

10. nevermind

nevermind Guest

Like A Prayer needs a back-up singer for the middle-eight (?)

11. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Current US iTunes

Albums
    #1 MDNA
    #3 Celebration
    #37 Celebration [Deluxe]
    #112 Like A Prayer
    #149 Madonna
    #150 Like A Virgin
    #170 Ray of Light
    #171 True Blue

Videos
    #1 Give Me All Your Luvin'
    #24 Like A Prayer
    #33 Vogue
    #73 4 Minutes
    #136 Material Girl
    #177 Like A Virgin

Singles
    #2 Give Me All Your Luvin'
    #22 Like A Prayer
    #104 Vogue
    #146 Like A Prayer
    #194 Music

I think it worked!

12. Fantastic. Madonna Queen Of iTunes etc.

13. Ray

Ray

So when we include (lack of) airplay that will give her a #98 Billboard smash? (Gotta love the American charts.)

14. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Give Me... will definitely not hit #1 this week. Kelly Clarkson has that in the bag..

15. Leading the albums, as it should. What a fantastic day!

Too bad about GMAYL, if it were any good it would've smashed so hard right now. Wasted opportunity. It's so, so unbelievably frustrating that the only thing wrong with this era is the actual music.

16. Kelly Clarkson is still around making music?! I'm actually surprised.

17. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Her rendition of the national anthem was a surprisingly safe and strong promo spot for What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger).

18. MJH

MJH

Just going through Madonna's singles on wiki and I was surprised to see that one of her best ballads, "Oh Father" was her biggest UK flop at the time (even though it still managed to get Top 20 peaking at #16!) Anyone surprised by this and what do you think of the song? It was the 4th single aswell afterall.

19. It wasnt released over here until 1995 as part of the Something to Remember campaign ...inexplicably...TAKE A BOW was also a number 16 smash the year before...oddly.

20. If you were wondering why MJH it might have had something to do with the fact that it was released at Christmas, not exactly the time for a haunting, autobiographical ballad about a dead mother to smash. And also, 'You'll See' was actually still in the charts at the time, not much further below it.

http://www.theofficialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1996-01-06/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.