Madonna - Madame X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that didn't live up to the hype. I'd actually not heard the Met Gala performance and I had a feeling that a song with such a cheesy title wouldn't work for me, but I always want to keep an open mind. "Experimental" doesn't fit. So, a pretty dated sounding, clunky main song of posturing followed by a Clockwork Orange take on Tchaikovsky with some spoken word is... experimental? I'd be fine if it were relegated strictly to interlude status on the tour. I have a feeling this album might be a mixed experience for me.

I hope the wonderful Medellin, Crave and Future are more indicative of the quality of the album than the bland, bloodless Dark Ballet and I Rise.

he/him
The NY Times writer's Twitter account is bombarded with outraged BTS stans because of the dig at them in the article. They really believe BTS are legends on the level of Madonna. I have to laugh. That being said, Madonna should post something in praise of BTS aka stream Madame X.

It is a bit...... odd for a writer, at the exact same time as Madonna infiltrates other cultures for the world-building of her album, to 1) scoff at the suggestion that an act from Asia could ever be seen as in the same rank as an American music artist and 2) not really understand the language of the audience she claims to be observing as a journalist. You know - a position in which one would be expected to do research.

he/him
Nn I just realized Madonna isn’t some “angel of inspiration” as some have interpreted. She’s actually the leader of the women burning Mykki alive.

2-C15551-D-941-A-4-D16-8-E69-EA6-B295463-A5.jpg

he/him
I thought that group was meant to be in mourning for Mykki, given their all-black clothes and veils, and the various clergy were the ones that condemned him to be burned alive

Well I imagine in this case, they’d typically be the ones “praying” for the sinner. I take the men as representing the government and the women representing the complacent ones/women who voted for Trump. It reminds me of Handmaid’s Tale when the women were forced to throw stones at one of their own for misbehaving.

he/him/his
The video is brilliant and already one of her best.

The song itself however, just feels like it's at odds with itself. The Daft/Punk Tchaikovsky bit towers above the American Life rehash (lyrically speaking) at the start, but is given hardly any room to breathe - the reprise at the end stalls all momentum.

It's a great idea of a song, but a Paradise (Not For Me) it is not.

Last edited:
I just watched the Dark Ballet video & there’s... a lot going on in it. I have to say, I’m loving all of the songs we’ve gotten so far, but I am a little confused as to what her overall message is, or what it is she’s trying to convey. I feel like it’s a lot less clear this time around. Like, she’s being bold but I’m trying to figure out... what it all means together. Maybe the album as a whole will tie it together.

Dark Ballet’s production is amazing and the structure is interesting. But I do echo that her vocals are so weirdly processed. If autotune was done for artistic purposes, it didn’t really work. The lyrics are a bit too on the nose, too. Looking forward to watching the video later as it looks great.

Not for me I’m sorry.

The video is interesting but nowhere near her best. Why she feels the need to extend all her videos and break up the song etc is beyond me.

The song itself - awful. After 1 great song (Medellin) and 3 decent ones I thought this would be the full on launch the album spectacular but it’s just terrible.

As with Future, I'm slightly annoyed that the latter part of Dark Ballet is now so heavily linked to the ESC performance and its aftermath. After listening to the song several times with the novelty factor now wearing off I feel I'm actually left with very little here. I can appreciate her attempt but it's more like an interlude, an obscure peculiarity than a fully developed and thought-out piece of work. I does need and extra minute or two to really go all-out bonkers and tie up the loose ends. I'm eagerly looking forward to God Control, Crazy and I Don't Search I Find.

The video is brilliant and already one of her best.

The song itself however, just feels like it's at odds with itself. The Daft/Punk Tchaikovsky bit towers above the American Life rehash (lyrically speaking) at the start, but is given hardly any room to breathe - the reprise at the end stalls all momentum.

It's a great idea of a song, but a Paradise (Not For Me) it is not.

I think we could definitely do with an extended version.....hopefully that materialises on tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.