Madonna - Madame X | Page 1715 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna - Madame X

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Her voice was only ever really “bad” on MDNA, and that was mainly just due to the poor mixing. But yeah, I’d say she’s playing with her voice here for the first time since like Hard Candy or American Life.

-tastic likes this.
  2. I haven't fully delved into this track as I just had my first listen but she does sound the most natural since Hard Candy. And I almost hear her Ray of Light voice control.

Love the Portugese parts btw. Glad she included them.

3. I'll concede she's playing with her voice. I resist the idea that that somehow makes her actual vocal performance better than on her last few albums. It isn't. And thats fine, as others have said her voice is what it is now. But constantly needing to bring her other albums into the equation to praise this one is getting tired.

4. Fair enough, and while I agree that vocal experimentation doesn't make a vocal performance better, it makes her sound more engaged to me. And I think it helps her display more tone.

I can see the frustration with throwing other albums under the bus, but I think comparisons are unavoidable. On a pop forum, people are inevitably going to talk about albums in relation to eachother.

cabirian likes this.
  5. It could be worse. We could all wrongly assume Confessions was her last album before this one.

6. The last note in the "NAO FUNANA~~~~" chorus... It just disappears in a grunt of the sheer unableness to exist.

Raichu likes this.
  7. Funana remains the only outright terrible track of the era. The lyrics might be her laziest ever.

BodyElectric, diegolcl and cabirian like this.
  8. Terrible may be too harsh of a word, but yeah, Killers does not have the worst lyrics after all huh

Tchelitchew and Raichu like this.
  9. “Funana” is too endearing and earnest to be terrible

Mr Blonde, LTG, rav4boy and 15 others like this.
  10. Ermm... I always imagined the shoehorning of Prince and Aretha (along with the others) was a mea culpa of sorts after the tributes she did for them were panned, but maybe that's too cynical of a reading.

cabirian likes this.
  11. Well, Funana's not offensively bad, but it's still a huge no for me. And I think it's weird that Mirwais produced it. It sounds way too cheap and cheesy for his standards.

12. Let's just be thankful they didn't have all this auto tune in the 80s/early 90s. We would have missed out on some classic vocal takes in Live To Tell, Crazy For You, her growling vocal in Rescue Me, the ending of This Used To Be My Playground (which would have sounded bland and emotionless like Masterpiece in this day and age)...

13. They were able to alter vocals back then. I actually remember Madonna being a big defender of lip syncing, altering and dubbing vocals.

Could have been a good time

14. Oh, I love Funana... I find it quite emotional even with the amount of autotune it has.

Faceintheleaves and LPT like this.
  15. Funana gets stuck in my head all the time. It’s such a twee lil throwaway bop.

Mr Blonde, LTG, Jwentz and 2 others like this.
  16. Funana is a disaster. An enjoyable disaster

17. Did Nakhane end up collaborating with Madonna at all?
    I'm just remembering they were spotted together (with Mykki, I think) and thought he would show up in one of the tracks but it seems not.

cabirian likes this.
  18. I don’t know if this has been posted, but this video is stunning.

I need the Faz Gostoso video to be in theme with this look and whole vibe.

Juango likes this.
  19. Nope. She said they were friends but that’s about it.

20. LiK

LiK

The Funana slander on this page though. Lyrically it's hella basic, but it's such an endearing and in a weird way tender song. The production has this oddly nostalgic retro vibe to it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.