Madonna - Madame X | Page 1755 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna - Madame X

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Not really getting the Discovery Channel comparison, but okay. It reminds me a lot of “Secret” and “Nothing Fails” but with a very strong disorienting and foreboding feeling.

2. Reconstructed drama?

3. Uurgh I just watched it again and I’m in awe. I really wish I’d went to see MDNA! Interested to see what she pulls out for this tour but it definitely seems more... lowkey and focussed on the music rather than a big production.

beautifulmorning likes this.
  4. I just remembered that I had a theory that a Martha Graham quote inspired Rescue Me...so the fact that it's being performed on this tour feels even more surreal.

"I confessed that I had a burning desire to be excellent, but no faith that I could be.

Martha said to me, very quietly: “There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. As for you, Agnes, you have so far used about one-third of your talent.”

“But,” I said, “when I see my work I take for granted what other people value in it. I see only its ineptitude, inorganic flaws, and crudities. I am not pleased or satisfied.”

“No artist is pleased.”

“But then there is no satisfaction?”

“No satisfaction whatever at any time,” she cried out passionately. “There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.”"

It's not my business to decide
    How good you are for me
    How valuable you are
    And what the world can see
    Only that you try to understand me
    And have the courage
    To love me for me

A true anthem of self-love and self-reliance. It really is one one of her best written songs.

5. It’s stupid of me to get this annoyed over something so trivial but John Cameron Mitchell posted this tonight and...really queen?

I find it really disingenuous and shitty to not only claim Madonna appropriated the cover for Madame X from one of history’s most outspoken AIDS activists when it’s a tribute to her dead mother, but also discredit her own activism and allyship in that area during a time that was long before it was considered widely acceptable. Fuck outta here.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  6. He must like the attention he is getting from trashing Madonna!

7. Eh. I doubt that, in all honesty, but I just think that sort of unprompted vagueposting (+ that awful interview from a few weeks back) is shockingly...off-base and petty from someone who has shown themselves to be fairly intelligent in the past. He’s entitled to feel whatever way he wants about her and clearly he does, but it’s disappointing to me as an admirer of his work and his own activism.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Dreampopboy, acl and RebelFingers like this.
  8. I agree...pretty transparent.

9. Using the anniversary of somebody's passing to trash another person is beyond tacky and it cheapens the tribute he's written in the rest of his post.

10. Just saw that weird post on my timeline too. I have a Hedwig tattoo on my arm (I know, I know) but even I'm about to unfollow JCM, it's far from the first time he's bashed Madonna out of nowhere and it's getting gross.

cabirian, SlowBurn, acl and 2 others like this.
  11. Very interesting reference. I wonder if they shot something similar for the album

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2019
  12. Re. John Cameron Mitchell. Gay men have had our collective feet under the table of mainstream (ish) culture (broadly speaking) for all of five minutes and already women, who’ve been our allies and partners in crime since time immemorial, are subject to this kind of misogynistic bullshit from within the gay community? Seriously?

See also, Elton John. While Madonna was empowering baby gay me Elton John was married to a woman. Every time he drags Madonna in a hateful, misogynistic tirade it makes my skin crawl. It’s shameful.

13. Dear HR Manager,
    I don't know why that image is in my browser history, but I do recall seeing @mindtrappa lingering near my desk earlier.
    -Compliant Employee

If you're PopJustice'ing at work, you may want to avoid clicking on those spoilers above.

cabirian likes this.
  14. Don't know about Mitchell, but I always thought Elton was probably irritated the gay community doesn't hold him up as an icon as they do Madonna. But, as you say, Madonna was sticking her neck out while he was doing the opposite.

Music Is Life, acl, Mr.Arroz and 7 others like this.
  15. We would if he had bops.

16. Hmm careful with Elton. Coming out publicly is a completely different matter to supporting Gay Rights. It’s a deeply personal choice. Elton’s more than made up for publicly since and in many ways did a lot before he came out.

SlowBurn and Mikal like this.
  17. Candle In The Wind tho.

18. Yes he apologized to her in a restaurant and they ended up sharing a bottle of wine I believe.

push the button likes this.
  19. Um, and this pre-"Vogue" list of divas. This might be the gayest thing ever recorded.

(starts around 3:35). "Talulah Bankhead!...Princess Caroline of Monaco!...Miss Pat Fernandez!"

Hunterpoop, HorseTears and Vasilios like this.
  20. I love a Tallulah Bankhead reference.

moorje and jakeyfw like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.