Madonna - Madame X | Page 1797 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna - Madame X

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Also, the gays technically stole Madonna from the wannabes and culturally appropriated her, so it’s swings and roundabouts!

I miss the wannabes...

Madonna took a movement created by some of the most disenfranchised people on Earth and said “this is special.” Celebrities weren’t exactly falling over themselves to speak out for the gays in the late 80s and early 90s.

People are entitled to their dubious opinions about Madonna but back when I was a baby gay she was the only person on the planet who made me feel... okay... with who I was. If other people don’t feel the same way fine, but they don’t speak on behalf of everyone.

And for the record, Madonna can steal anything she likes from me. Dance moves I’ve invented... my Japanese Star Wars figures... my sealed Sex book...

2. As I said on a previous page, the amount of content we’ve gotten out of this era is amazing. This video (not counting the few frames of older footage here and there) just proves it.

Jwentz, matthew., Dreampopboy and 5 others like this.
  3. RJF

RJF

I find the period of the AIDS crisis a fascinating time in Madonna’s... well, not even career, but life. I feel like we’ve only really ever had brief peeks into it either through abstract references from Madonna herself, or from others who were there and in her presence and we get to here about random little acts of kindness, or camaraderie, or pain. I got a wee shiver when I saw her post yesterday. It's always a bit of a shock to be reminded how long she's been out here doing her thing, and how much of her thing has been for the community.

I always lean into mum's music a little more this time of year because it's a whole universe of endless treasures in a period that I always find... hard (I had a biT of a wobble today and Confessions Tour is legitimately out here healing folk.) so I've been listening to her a lot recently, and returning to this album a lot more as a consequence. I feel like she's going off for a long, long time once this tour wraps up, so I'm happy that we've had such a wealth of treats to enjoy this year to make the wait until she returns to us a little easier.

Mirwais Ahmadzaï, Ferk, LTG and 23 others like this.
  4. It’s because of this alone that I don’t just get annoyed but outright irate at fans who have the audacity to sneer at or downplay this era as a whole. I was hoping that she’d be even more engaged and refreshed with the next era as she was during Rebel Heart, and she’s more than accomplished that with Madame X. This is the most active and frankly present she’s been in an album campaign in about a decade-plus, and people don’t have to like everything but they had better damn well appreciate it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  5. Very this energy
    [​IMG]

LTG, acl, achilles and 5 others like this.
  6. Medellin is my song of the year. For a Madonna lead single in 2019 to bring me ever increasing joy with every repeat listen...? I wouldn't have bet money on it.

I realised we got like 6 videos for this album and a tour that's not even done yet (please, knee, hold out until my London date). She's said and done so much on her terms this era I reckon like @RJF that she'll be away from music for a long time. And I reckon this is the start of a new live phase for her. Whatever the next tour looks like it will be easier on her physically and scheduling wise. And that's fine. She's earned it.

7. RJF

RJF

Madame X is a whoreA WHORE feels like it was yesterday.

8. I love you sis x

9. Colour me surprised that Medellin ended up being my most played song in 2019 on Spotify.......

Slamb, Music Is Life, cheida and 2 others like this.
  10. Mine too! Madame X really snapped.

Slamb, neinzedd and cheida like this.
  11. I like that Madame X wasn’t afraid to experiment. Not all of those experiments work but she tried and even brought her funky accordion.

V3RYP05H likes this.
  13. Do you like accordions and fado though?

jakeyfw likes this.
  14. 2019 Billboard Year End Charts

Adult Contemporary
    32 Crave - Madonna & Swae Lee

Dance Club Artists
    5. Madonna

Dance Club Songs
    27. Medellin
    31. I Rise

Latin Digital Song Sales
    17. Medellin

Latin Pop Digital Song Sales
    5. Medellin

Latin Rhythm Digital Song Sales
    14. Medellin

15. USA
    BB Dance Club Songs
    Issue 12/14
    #27 Crave
    #55 I don´t search I find (NE)

cheida likes this.
  16. I think Madame X might be my favourite big pop girl (yes she's still one of them shut up) album of the decade. It's got everything I could possibly have wanted from a pop album and a few things I didn't even know I wanted. I even see a lot of my own personality in it with its kinda...darkly optimistic mood.

17. Finally...

enough love

18. I. LOVE. THIS!!!!!

MrWonderfulPop and Andy French like this.

19. I love this! Perfect for my workout playlist and love how it works so well!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.