Madonna - Madame X | Page 1814 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna - Madame X

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Either way no matter what she released was not going to get the results we wanted. Medellin is the introduction to the record and Madame X. Crave did its job and God Control despite the video and controversy wouldn't have done much except what it already did. Remember the meltdown "But it's backwards, I wanted more fun disco scenes, less typing" and fans proceeded to just make a generic mutilated dance only video completely missing her message over "But we need disco!!"

Andy French likes this.
  2. Thank goodness we got multiple videos this era and very adventurous ones rather than something like Celebration.

3. “Crave” wasn’t even finished to have the option of being the lead single when they would have needed it. I don’t think it was on the album until the very last minute; you’ll notice it’s one of the only songs she doesn’t talk about in the documentary as well because her voiceover was recorded in January.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Music Is Life, acl, Jacques and 4 others like this.
  4. Medellín felt like such a moment when it was released. It's such an odd song that's packed with fun. It has replay value and I think it's probably her most different lead in a long time. The video is fantastic, Maluma was a nice feature, everything was nice.

I've grown to really enjoy Crave and I see how beautiful the song is, but if it was the lead, for me, it would blend into some "Rebel Heart Sequel" territory. No way it's a bad thing, but it wouldn't feel "as fresh" as Medellin felt. I also find the video to be really beautiful and well done, but again, as a whole introduction for the Madame X era it would feel a bit hollow.

I wouldn't change anything. Maybe it would have been cool if Crave just followed Madellin a bit faster since (sadly) Medellin didn't do much. But we can't really say anything bad about this era. It was fantastic and it makes me happy that I was able to witness everything unleashing in real time.

5. The wash of lush, warm, familiar, honey dripped vocals I felt when Medellin hit my ears for the first time was pure Madonna made joy. Like the heat that hits your face when the plane door opens. Those slow synth stabs creeping up on you as Mirwais hands you a margarita with that deliciously layered intricate production just as you smell the musk rise from Malumas chest as he reaches over you and puts a flowery hoop around your neck.
    Lordy......
    I don't care where I am. I'm kicking off my mules and I'm coming with you to the party.
    Today, tomorrow and always.

6. If I had to choose a different song than “Medellín” as the lead, it definitely would have been “God Control”. Both of them represent the two parts of the album extremely well. I think the plan was to release them at the same time or in very quick succession, but either way I think pushing “God Control” back kind of caused it to get lost in the shuffle of promo tracks, unfortunately.

7. Why?

I don't need buzz singles and introductions and everything with the established girls. Have a proper plan and release a proper lead.

They tried with Medellin - big performance, big video, what they thought would be a big feature too. It was all designed to be an event single like Madonna used to do. They may didn't went with the right song but I want Madonna to fully arrive like this. Not some buzz then double single stuff.

I reall think there isn't enought space for the older ones to have lots of singles before the album release. They need a proper start with some promo to get it going. Radio rarely plays the lead, where is the place for a tease and a double single now? Sadly.

8. Noticed that as well.

Just think that God Control was a massive statement that should've been at the forefront of the campaign. Because there's no way in hell she will ever have a traditional hit single again, why not just release the most bonkers thing you've done in recent memory as a way to say Hello to everyone again. I just think the moment was overlooked because people didn't actually care to check for it. And it's quite sad because it's very much a career highlight for me.

9. That is very reasonable. Actually yes. Maybe I just found the word tease wrong. It should have just been the big start of the campaign. Proper.

cheida likes this.
  10. I don’t think any song would have done well. Aside from radio demographics, the album just isn’t a single-friendly set. I don’t think it’s really meant to be either. Sure there are a few features, but MDNA and Rebel Heart sounded more like she was trying to get on radio and fly up the charts. I think she knows or knew going into this one that it wasn’t going to happen and to just do what she wanted to do. So with that said, the songs that you think should have been released with videos were released with videos despite the order in which they came out.

It’s going to be really interesting to see what’s next for her after this tour. She has no contract and she’s dealing with an injury and was trying to figure out a new way to tour. I doubt she’ll be taking a break but I do think the next thing she works on won’t be music related... an autobiography perhaps with hopes that someone turns it into a film a la Queen and Elton? I guess we’ll find out soon enough. We’ve known that a new album and tour was coming for the past 20 years with her contracts. This is totally new territory. Kind of exciting.

cheida likes this.
  11. I don't think I would've changed anything. I just wish she'd use/used the different Madame X personas more.

papatrick, LoveSoSoft, cheida and 7 others like this.
  12. "Medellín" is one of my least favorite tracks on the album, and I'm not even sure why. I would have gone with "Crave" or "God Control" as the lead as well. The former because it's one of her best midtempos in ages. The latter because man, that would have been such a damn power move.

13. RJF

RJF

The era was played perfectly; it's just that no one gives a shit any more.

14. Medellin was the perfect lead single. Can't think of a better way to usher in a new era than "I took a pill and had a dream" and "ven conmigo let's take a trip"

15. She should have Radar'd Inside Out because, whew, a song.

It's basically the Crave prototype. Some of my favourite current day M lyricism and vocals too, which it also shares with Crave.

16. Inside Out is underrated and something about “You’re beautiful when you’re broken down” has always tugged at my heartstrings

17. The meltdowns we would’ve got from stans if she lead with Crave, kii.

OspreyQueen and Andy French like this.
  18. Honestly given how some of them reacted to Medellín I don’t think it would have been that much of a difference nn. Still in disbelief that I saw so many people calling it her worst-ever lead in a post-GAYLuvin world

19. Ever since @push the button described it along the lines of a half hearted vocal, as if she’s singing in the shower, I’ve not been able to unhear it. I still prefer it to Wash All Over Me and Heartbreak City though.

20. LTG

LTG

When the vocal comes back after that fake out! Sis gets me with Ghosttown then does it again a few songs later and I fall for it again. Ugh her mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.