Madonna - Madame X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.

Why can't I shake the feeling that M60 might finally bestow the Like A Prayer / 90s albums ( / Music?) remasters upon us? (They return to Madonna's ownership next year, right? It's not something I know much about but I feel like I've seen it discussed somewhere on this site before - ? My apologies if my dates are out.) Like... celebrating turning 60 by re-releasing some of the most influential / iconic pop albums ever to be released and in turn hyping up an impending new release seems like so savvy a move that I feel I'd be doing Madonna a disservice if I didn't presume she's at least considered such a schedule. (Mind you, I may well merely have convinced myself because I know how much I would enjoy re-listening to them in all their remastered glory.)

More to the point though: I couldn't be more excited at the prospect of a new Madonna album. Rebel Heart was (and remains) such an enthralling, rewarding listen for me; a true return to form after the wobble of MDNA.

It was necessary. To me, the costumes/themes (as much as I loved them) were kind of lazily playing up to the idea of reinvention and "concept" and distracting from the Lady of the Manor persona she had developed in her real life after she got married to Guy. Being Madonna should be enough, and I'm glad she realized that over the last few years.

Dare I say though that as someone who has followed her from the very start, the whole point was nobody knew who Madonna 'was', didn't actually want to and part of her appeal was her incredible malleability. Despite recurrent themes, motifs and values, she is extremely contradictory when you think about it. And hooray for that. The Lady of the Manor was another adopted persona, it wasn't 'her'. If anything Hard Candy and MDNA suffered for me because the artifice and role playing was wanting

he/him
I don't get the Rebel Heart hate. There were some fantastic tracks from that era. I think she just thought she may as well release a huge amount considering they all got leaked regardless. A condensed version from all the tracks we got would make one of her best works.

Hmm.

Why can't I shake the feeling that M60 might finally bestow the Like A Prayer / 90s albums ( / Music?) remasters upon us? (They return to Madonna's ownership next year, right? It's not something I know much about but I feel like I've seen it discussed somewhere on this site before - ? My apologies if my dates are out.) Like... celebrating turning 60 by re-releasing some of the most influential / iconic pop albums ever to be released and in turn hyping up an impending new release seems like so savvy a move that I feel I'd be doing Madonna a disservice if I didn't presume she's at least considered such a schedule. (Mind you, I may well merely have convinced myself because I know how much I would enjoy re-listening to them in all their remastered glory.)

More to the point though: I couldn't be more excited at the prospect of a new Madonna album. Rebel Heart was (and remains) such an enthralling, rewarding listen for me; a true return to form after the wobble of MDNA.
There was a True Blue super deluxe edition in development when MDNA was released, but for whatever reason nothing came off it.

I don't get the Rebel Heart hate. There were some fantastic tracks from that era. I think she just thought she may as well release a huge amount considering they all got leaked regardless. A condensed version from all the tracks we got would make one of her best works.

'Rebel Heart' is VASTLY overrated and I feel it's positive reviews is due to it being such a step up from the previous two shitfests.

'Ghosttown' (song and video) are the best things she has done in YEARS and is exactly what I want from mid 2010s Madonna, 'Bitch I'm Madonna' is fun and 'Living For Love' is great but feels like there's an ingredient missing from allowing it to cross over to 'Iconic' and the rest of the album is simply 'quite good'.

he/him
'Rebel Heart' is VASTLY overrated and I feel it's positive reviews is due to it being such a step up from the previous two shitfests..

Well in that case you could say Confessions is VASTLY overrated because it was a success after a "flop" and its positive reviews are due to it being a step up from the previous album. Surely an artist recovering and improving after a misfire (or two) should be celebrated and encouraged so they can only get better still?

Reactions: Ray
I think people rate it well because it's genuinely good, and not in a "well at least it's not MDNA or Hard Candy" sort of way. And not that many people frown upon Hard Candy outside of her European stans. MDNA was the only true misstep.

The album holds up well on its own but I do believe that the weakness of previous eras elevated people's appreciation and outlook on 'Rebel Heart'.

Well in that case you could say Confessions is VASTLY overrated because it was a success after a "flop" and its positive reviews are due to it being a step up from the previous album. Surely an artist recovering and improving after a misfire (or two) should be celebrated and encouraged so they can only get better still?

'American Life' is amazing and her best '2000s' album in my opinion.

he/him
The album holds up well on its own but I do believe that the weakness of previous eras elevated people's appreciation and outlook on 'Rebel Heart'.

But then doesn't that apply to all of her releases that follow a perceived "weak" album? Ray of Light following Bedtime Stories and Erotica? Confessions after American Life?

But then doesn't that apply to all of her albums that follow a perceived "weak" album? Ray of Light? Confessions?

No because Madonna never had a 'weak' album/eras up to 'Hard Candy', she may have had controversial eras or 'poor' eras when it came to stats/sales/media representation but 'Hard Candy' was the first point where the music wasn't absolutely captivating or her image locked and loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.