Madonna singles rate. | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna singles rate.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by The Visitor, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Don't know if anyone has ever done this before, but I thought i'd give it ago. If there's not much interest I'll not bother. All you have to do is rate each of Madonna's UK singles out of 10 and send it to me by PM. I'll tot up the scores and averages and then count them down in this thread providing I get enough responses to make it worthwhile.

Note- I'm only including the UK singles- starting with Holiday and finishing with Celebration- no Me Against The Music either as she's a featured artist. Here goes- rates to the left please:

HOLIDAY
    LUCKY STAR
    BORDERLINE
    LIKE A VIRGIN
    MATERIAL GIRL
    CRAZY FOR YOU
    INTO THE GROOVE
    ANGEL
    GAMBLER
    DRESS YOU UP
    LIVE TO TELL
    PAPA DON'T PREACH
    TRUE BLUE
    OPEN YOUR HEART
    LA ISLA BONITA
    WHO'S THAT GIRL
    CAUSING A COMMOTION
    THE LOOK OF LOVE
    LIKE A PRAYER
    EXPRESS YOURSELF
    CHERISH
    DEAR JESSIE
    VOGUE
    HANKY PANKY
    JUSTIFY MY LOVE
    RESCUE ME
    THIS USED TO BE MY PLAYGROUND
    EROTICA
    DEEPER AND DEEPER
    BAD GIRL
    FEVER
    RAIN
    I'LL REMEMBER
    SECRET
    TAKE A BOW
    BEDTIME STORY
    HUMAN NATURE
    YOU'LL SEE
    OH FATHER
    ONE MORE CHANCE
    YOU MUST LOVE ME
    DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA
    ANOTHER SUITCASE ANOTHER HALL
    FROZEN
    RAY OF LIGHT
    DROWNED WORLD/SUBSTITUTE FOR LOVE
    THE POWER OF GOODBYE
    NOTHING REALLY MATTERS
    BEAUTIFUL STRANGER
    AMERICAN PIE
    MUSIC
    DON'T TELL ME
    WHAT IT FEELS LIKE FOR A GIRL
    DIE ANOTHER DAY
    AMERICAN LIFE
    HOLLYWOOD
    LOVE PROFUSION
    HUNG UP
    SORRY
    GET TOGETHER
    JUMP
    4 MINUTES
    GIVE IT 2 ME
    MILES AWAY
    CELEBRATION

Blimey, that is a back catalogue and a half.

2. Oh I thought it was a comment on how many singles she's done per year over her career or something, haha! I'll have a go and rating these songs later.

EG.

3. Blimey! I will give this a go, might take a while though!

4. Just voted!

5. Excellent. Thanks for all the votes so far. Need a few more to make it more authenic. Anyone know any mad M fans that may want to vote please PM them.

6. Hello. What are we voting on? Singleworthy-ness? How good the song was? Video etc? Let me know and I'll vote.

7. Well I've had a good response so I'll close this tomorrow and start the countdown on Saturday

8. Ok, this is now closed. I'll start the countdown from 65 tomorrow. Anyone want to guess what our (collectively) least favourite Madonna UK single is?

9. Hanky Panky?

10. No, Conan, not Hanky Panky.

65. FEVER average rate 4.4/10
    Year : 1993
    UK Peak : 6

The fourth release from the Erotica album, this was a dance version of the old Peggy Lee standard. I'm not surprised it has finished bottom of the pile as it's a bit shit really isn't it? Still, one PJ'er gave it full marks. I'll leave it up to them to admit to it.

11. I only love the live version of Fever from The Girlie Show Tour. What an attitude she shows in it.

Sadly I missed this.

12. Fever's ok. I rated it as one of her lowest with a 6 out of 10 score. It's not that it's bad it's just that it's not the Peggy Lee version which is better. It suffers from cover-that's-not-as-good-as-the-original syndrome.

13. I'm a tad upset about this one.

64. THE LOOK OF LOVE average rate 4.9

Year 1987
    UK peak : 9

This was the third single release from the Who's That Girl soundtrack, a ballad which received little promotion and didn't have a proper video. It managed to get to #9 in the UK, at that time her lowest chart position since Lucky Star.

It's a Pat Leonard collaboration, so I guess the idea was to have a Live To Tell part 2 for the film. It's obviously not as good as Live To Tell but it's still a corker. Why do you all hate it so?

14. Ouch, poor Fever! I think I gave it a 7. It was one of my favourite singles off Erotica, which was generally one of those albums (for me) where the best tracks weren't 45s.

EG.

15. I don't recall the Look of Love being a single and didn't even know the song till I got the Who's That Girl album in about 1998. It's quite lovely really but I can see why it's low down on the list as it's just not very well known.

16. It is a TRAVESTY that Look Of Love is rated so low by Madonna fans. While it's no classic, it's better than most of the atrocities she's released since 2002.

EG.

17. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Fever cannot be the lowest, surely? It's brilliant.

18. Sorry JadeFan but it is. It got lots of 2/10 and even a 0.

19. Fuck you cunts, Fever is brilliant.

20. I don't know the Peggy Lee version. But Fever is good, not great on the album. But her live performance on the Girlie Tour makes it a ten live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pMWg4UcYHo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.