Madonna: The Discography Rate - #12 | Page 341 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - #12

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. "Angel" is the weakest single from "Like a Virgin" and I'm glad we collectively agreed about that. It's a great song, though - the only things that let it down are the lame chorus and the demo-ish production.

2. Urgh, I wish we still lived in a time with some of the most watched TV shows in the country just being mostly various Madonna videos on loop.

3. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.636

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 3 - 98 of 210 (7.253)

11 x 1
    @Tigerlily

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 11 (@HEARTCORE @Euphoria @Remyky22 @Andrew.L @Andy French @fatyoshi @1991 @scottdisick94 @joeee @BEST FICTION @japanbonustrack)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@gezza76)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Mmm we love a subversive Madonna jam, don't we, females? Entirely built to sound like a sexy romp, complete with suggest title... only for it to be a meditative, yearning ode to always carrying the memory of a loved one with you long after they're gone. In which case, the loved one appears to be Madonna's mother, the subject of so many of her songs that have death as their subject. It apparently started life with Shep Pettibone like a lot of Bedtime Stories, before being reworked by Dave Hall and Nellee Hooper that Miss Shep doesn't even get a look in on the credits. Sad!

Not only is the entire track soft and comforting as a freshly turned pillow on a summer's night, I just find Madonna's multiple ways of investigating her own grief fascinating. Here, it's a slightly more simplistic approach. A "nice" sentiment, comforting words that you give to people at funerals, they're here with you, watching over you, they would be so proud of you. I hear some of this stuff sometimes and I'm always a little... appalled? Like, how would you know if someone was proud of me? Why would I want them always with me when they're not with me? When do memories become weights dragging you down rather than encouragement spurring you on? I'm getting ahead of myself; we'll be covering that in upcoming songs, I think.

For now, we have the reasonably well-adjusted response to loss, I guess. We'll get to the pressure of expectation and how grief and can become a stinging, infected sore on your soul in later songs. Kii! Oh, and shout out to @Tigerlily for the rather unorthodox 11/10 choice too. I wouldn't have thought of it, but I can definitely see why it would strike a strong enough chord to warrant it!​

4. Proud of Inside of Me for making it this far. It's absolutely lush and one of her most underrated moments.

5. RJF

RJF

Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Material Girl
    Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    True Blue
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Promise To Try
    Cherish
    Oh Father
    Keep It Together
    Spanish Eyes

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Waiting
    Thief Of Hearts
    Words
    Rain

Secret
    Human Nature
    Sanctuary
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Swim
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye
    To Have And Not To Hold
    Mer Girl
    Has To Be

Music
    Impressive Instant
    I Deserve It
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Paradise (Not For Me)
    Gone

American Life
    Hollywood
    Love Profusion
    Nobody Knows Me
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Mother And Father
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Let It Will Be
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Isaac

Give It 2 Me
    Miles Away
    Devil Wouldn't Recognize You​

Living For Love
    Devil Pray
    Ghosttown
    Bitch I'm Madonna (Feat. Nicki Minaj)
    Joan Of Arc
    Rebel Heart

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control
    Crave (Feat. Swae Lee)
    I Don't Search I Find

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Who's That Girl
    Causing A Commotion
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    I'll Remember
    I Want You (With Massive Attack)
    You'll See
    Beautiful Stranger
    Time Stood Still
    Celebration​

6. Three of the best "Bedtime Stories" album tracks are gone even before the top 90... tragic.

In retrospect, "Inside of Me" should've gotten a 10 from me instead of a 9.5 I gave it. It's a stunner. Her vocals are heaven and the production is a total delight. And I love that it received an 11 - awesome choice, @Tigerlily!

Ironically, "Sanctuary" is my third lowest rated non-single from "Bedtime Stories" (still got an 8, though), but I would like it to stay for a bit.

Tigerlily, berserkboi and rav4boy like this.
  7. Angel is so nostalgic for me. The cassette featuring the 12 inch version with Into the Groove. Released at the height of Madonnamania with no video and still a hit (proving Madonna didn’t need to rely on videos). A gem.

funkyg, Womanizer, Bleu Noir and 2 others like this.
  8. RJF

RJF

Tomorrow's two eliminations will come an earlier time, most likely late afternoon/early evening because... I'm vanishing into the Highlands for the weekend later on tomorrow night. However, this does not mean that you will be without content, for I have arranged for an illustrious and talented professional to come in and take the reins from Friday to Sunday so the rate doesn't stall again. Be kind to them; they've not done a lot of rates.

9. It still bugs me that they cancelled the music video for Angel because they didn’t want to risk her being over-exposed but then released a compilation of all her most popular videos instead.

10. As long as no more of my bloody 10's go, they'll be fine by me.
    Inside Of Me is beautiful guys, like really beautiful.

But this heartache isn't going anywhere
    In the public eye I act like I don't care
    When there's no one watching me
    I'm crying
    [​IMG]

Maki and joeee like this.
  11. #95? What a waste. Should have given my 11 to Sky Fits Heaven. I hate you yags.
    [​IMG]

12. Angel, Inside of Me and Secret Garden all deserved better.[​IMG]

13. This may trigger some of the fans, but I consider "Inside of Me" a far better tribute to her mother than "Promise to Try", solely based on the sonic aspects of both songs.

14. I should have given Angel a 10. Uh
    [​IMG]

15. I don’t understand the logic of not doing a video for Angel. If you don’t want to “oversaturate” the market why release it as a single at all? Or maybe release later in the year? Or better yet relegate it to the BSide of that MASSIVE BOP single you should be releasing in the USA that isn’t on the album and would promote her current film and you were forced into making a video for.....

16. The production on 'Angel' is sooo much fun.

I'm pleasantly surprised 'Give it 2 Me' is still here. I only gave her a 7 but in hindsight it's an easy 8.

17. I’m surprised Mother and Father is still kicking. Wiggy.

18. Not Angel :(

Feel like pure shit, just want it back xx

19. If you haven't pulled a Dua and managed to get a Madonna feature, then I'll be disappointed.

20. When someone asks Ariana, Miley, or L*n* what to call them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.