Madonna: The Discography Rate - #15 | Page 303 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - #15

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I can't see a top5 for Hard Candy without She's Not Me. The 2-minute outro is Disco Perfection.

Music Is Life, ufint, Lila and 3 others like this.
  2. Ah, so that is who Wendy is. Awesome.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  3. Everytime I get a tag from this thread, I can't bear to look and see which 10 I've bloody lost now
    (I honestly don't think I'll be the lowest scorer on anything left)

She's Not Me was a S&S highlight, hence the 10.

Music Is Life, Lila, Maki and 2 others like this.
  4. Nothing can beat that first listen of Why's It So Hard as a confused, closeted, bullied and scared fourteen-year-old. For the first time, I felt like I had an ally who was gonna have my gay back.

[​IMG]

Like ... don't you ever tell me Erotica isn't M's most important album.

5. They're so similar in personality and general "alpha"-ness that I doubt it would have led anywhere, but my god could you imagine what a Prince/Madonna album would have sounded like?

6. RMK

RMK

Never knew about the Born This Way mashup. Beyond shocked.

joeee likes this.
  7. I genuinely can't fathom not knowing about that, but maybe that's because I lived through the slow reveal of it on the first night of the tour and the subsequent...tantrums...it inspired. Honestly, I feel like the fact that I actually survived the gaymosexual minefield that was being a joint Gagoon-Madoon stan in 2011-2012 should by rights entitle me to compensation

8. It high key went off live. I thought I'd hate it, but the Express Yourself/Born This Way performance was one of the highlights of the tour until she ruined it with She's Not Me.

I'd love for Rebel Heart to finally fucking leave.

acl likes this.
  9. Am I the only one who finds She's Not Me to be an earsore on headphones? Those handclaps at the beginning always sound like my eardrums are being slashed with a knife. That being said, I always get my life screeching along to "I know I can do it better".

10. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.345

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN
    2 - 117 of 210 (6.961)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 11 (@eatyourself @Sprockrooster @sfmartin @Sail On @joeee @TrueBeliever @phoenix123 @Filippa @Markus1981 @Music Is Life @Push)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@NightmareBoy)
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

First of all, who on earth does Justin Timberlake think he is, trying to go by first name only on that single cover? Your name isn't even iconically biblical, son. It's about the whitest, breadiest name you could possibly have. And next to Madonna? Sit down.

ANYWAY. We lose our second lead single. Is anyone surprised? I haven't actually seen "4 Minutes" attract nearly as much ire as I remember it getting five years ago, so I guess no one really had it pegged (hee!) to go any time soon, but alas! It leaves us now, and it leaves Hard Candy... kind of circling the drain to be honest.

Originally called "4 Minutes To Save The World" and famously crafted with the help of Justin Timberlake and Timbaland, two of the biggest hitmakers of the time, the song was born out of Madonna and Justin having a conversation in the studio that seemed to be basically be along the lines of:

"did u no bees are dying"
    "omg what"
    "ye"
    "wow"

And thus, a song about only having a finite time to save the world from environmental disaster was born. Although considering we're twelve years from when this song first came out and the world is fine, does anyone think global warming is a good thing? I love Madonna, I think she's a really interesting artist. But yes, although the song was largely inspired by the fact that our world is on a collision course with destruction because capitalism is designed to slowly strangle the life out of everything good and pure in the world, the song is also more broadly about simply having a sense of urgency to your life, which tracks more than the initial inspiration.

I've always thought that this maybe got a bit of a rough time of it from fans. At the end of the day, the buzz around Madonna collaborating with two people who were so huge at the time was massive, and I think the song is appropriately bombastic and absurd and stupid to carry the weight of that expectation. So many of Timbaland's productions from this time sound muddy as hell, but I think "4 Minutes" still sounds relatively clean, and Madonna's vocal is similarly pristine. The brassy production is great fun and... yeah, okay, Justin is actually a pretty great foil for her and matches her cadence on the verses perfectly. They have good chemistry. It's just a fun bop. I'm also surprised that it took nearly thirty years into Madonna's career for a primadonna pun to pop up in any of her songs, so it has that going for it too.

As much as we all kind of like to cast "Hung Up" as Madonna's final mega-hit, I'm afraid that title goes to "4 Minutes", which more than succeeded in returning Madonna to the Hot 100 after Confessions hadn't landed too well in the US compared to the rest of the world. It was huge everywhere, in fact. It surged to the Top 3 on the Hot 100 and has sold double of what "Hung Up" did, along with landing in the Top 10 of 2008 overall in terms of digital sales. Anecdotally, I also remember it being massive in the UK, where it was No.1 for four weeks and one of the best selling singles of the year to boot. Pretty sure this was also the same year the likes of "The Promise", "Sex On Fire", and "Mercy" were all in the Top 10 in the UK chart. It was a very transitional year in terms of trends for us. By the end of its chart run, "4 Minutes" was No.1 in 21 countries. Not bad for a girl who was apparently just trend-chasing.

As a lead single when Madonna could still have success with them, "4 Minutes" has of course been performed quite a bit, although weirdly enough never outside of its home era, which is weird considering how big it was. Naturally, it was a part of the Sticky & Sweet Tour where it had an awesome intro, and a few promo performances to boot that Justin even turned up in. Speaking of Justin, it's quite a revelation to watch him in the video and realise that... this was probably the last time we saw him do actual choreography and be fun before he became eternally trapped in a tuxedo with chemically straightened hair that would later become flannel and a buzzcut. This was also before he had a stupid hat permanently glued to his head. White men age so tragically :( The video's fun! More a CGI playground for a director with too big a budget, but Madonna and Justin move so well and it's just such a stupid concept that I can't help but accept it. It and "Give It 2 Me" were never off The Box back in the day!

...but is anyone else annoyed the song is four minutes and five seconds long?

11. She's not me is great. The best part of the song is the outro, I love it when she goes mental while performing this live during this part. I love this song but I'm not mad about it leaving now.
    The only Hard Candy track that shouldnt leave before top 50 is Give It 2 Me, that is a classic.

Maki likes this.
  12. 4 Minutes is a wig-adjuster. I don't use it much other than when I'm listening to Hard Candy in full, but she bops. The remixes were good too.

Weirdly, one of the biggest and most enduring signs to me that it was an actual hit for her at the time is that it was in the Get Smart film adaptation in 2008? My tiny gay ass perked up the SECOND I heard those horns near the end

13. ARE YOU JOKING

Push, Maki and AllGagaLike like this.
  14. I gave out so many weird 10s

[​IMG]

15. LTG

LTG

Wow I always thought it sounded like Wendy, but didn’t realise they actually were saying it. And definitely didn’t realise it was that Wendy.

Iconic that both Melvoins have been involved in Madonna songs.

16. Welp I didn't expect 4 Minutes to fall outside of the Top 100, let alone rank lower than Give It 2 Me.

RMK likes this.
  17. A rare moment of taste for forrem dot popjustice dot com

Womanizer, soratami, ericcccc and 4 others like this.
  18. 2014

2014 Staff Member

4 Minutes bangs, but Give It 2 Me is better so well done.

19. Could have stayed a tad.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    phoenix123 and Maki like this.
  20. RMK

RMK

Give It 2 Me always fell way flatter for me. Shocked this isn't in the top 100. Miles Away is the best song left from Hard Candy.

Crisp X, Beat, R27 and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.