Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 134 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Jimmy Jimmy is the worst song on True Blue but it's still a cute 6/10 and shouldn't be going anywhere just yet. There are plenty of other songs that can leave before anything from True Blue needs to.

2. Yeah, I think it's too early to call for these inoffensive and/or cute tracks from her earlier albums, when some actual dross from "I'm Breathless" and "MDNA" is still around.
    In about 5-10 eliminations or so, I would be fine with them starting to leave.

Remorque likes this.
  3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

To be honest all songs being discussed right now are at the very least enjoyable to me.
    So: A. I have very low standards (which reflects in my lovelife)
    B. There's very little worst in Madge discography, just a lot of songs not up there with her best.

Music Is Death, Remorque and Maki like this.
  4. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 4.852

2015 PLACEMENT: 198 of 210
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 (@Andreas @Andy French)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 2 (@OSHi @K94)
    MY SCORE: 5/10

What's that old adage? Ah, yes. Sometimes... less is more. I can practically hear @Laura Vanderbooben’s tap shoes from across the Atlantic every time I've played this and, reader, I hate it. I hate musical theatre in general, so you can imagine how I feel about a Stephen Sondheim number performed by Madonna in her best high whore 1930s cabaret drag.

"More" is one of three Sondheim numbers on I'm Breathless and, okay, I don't find it particularly egregious, but like I said in the opening paragraph, it just overstays its welcome something fierce. The way it feels like it has got about six verses so it can really labour the point of excess and opulence. The way those foghorn, affected backing vocals kick in about two thirds of the way into the track when you're already weak from the schtick. It's just... so jazzy it makes me break out in a rash. Lop its running time in half and I really wouldn't have a legitimate case against it but at nearly five minutes I think I'm entitled.

MOAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
    MOAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
    MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  5. RJF

RJF

Tomorrow night: I'm Breathless gets a day off! I wonder what fresh hell awaits us!

6. "More" no more! Glad to see it leave.

Well, almost. But here's hoping that "Spanish Lesson" departs among the next few cuts.

Now, this is interesting.
    I think that "MDNA" and "Hard Candy" will be losing tracks tomorrow (hopefully the correct ones).

Edit: Oh, I nearly forgot that "Like a Virgin" non-singles can be in danger, too (I only like two of them, though).

Remorque likes this.
  7. True Blue shouldn’t be losing any songs anytime soon teebs. Surely we’re going to cull the non-singles from Like a Virgin + most of MDNA before we start touching other albums?

Phonetics Girl and nikkysan like this.
  8. I don't hate More, there's a decent song in there, but listening back to it tonight, I've realised my aversion to it (and some of the other I'm Breathless tracks) is that it reminds me of this:

And I can't fuck with that.

Remorque likes this.
  9. But to be serious, More would be far more tolerable if it was shorter. By the third minute I’ve already tapped out, it just never ends...

Music Is Death, Remorque, aux and 4 others like this.
  10. Surely the 6-and-a-half-minute torture that is "Incredible" deserved to vacate before "More".

Lord have mercy.

11. [​IMG]

12. RJF

RJF

Was this a Dick Tracy deleted scene?

13. Yes. It's the scene where Breathless Mahoney realises there's another fucking verse in More to record.

14. ....the fuck? More is a solid 9.

This Breathless slaughter is inexplicable when MDNA exists.

15. Okay, with the back of More I think I at least like everything left in this. Lament will probably cling on for a bit longer because of that tour performance (which is actually great) but that would be my next choice.

Then I feel like Cyber-raga, I Fucked Up and Spanish Lesson are probably in the most danger - although there is a certain MDNA fan favorite I would like to see leave before them.

Remorque and phoenix123 like this.
  16. Also can we take a moment to appreciate the absolute stan who has actually quite skilfully edited high quality music videos for a number of the I’m Breathless tracks.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  17. Gang Bang is dreadful.

Remorque and Maki like this.
  18. I'm referring to a... ballad oop!

Remorque and Pop Life like this.
  19. Best Friend deserves to hold on for a while, I love the production on it, sounds like a cast off from Bjork’s Homogenic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.