Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 137 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Candy Shop and Revolver to make a swift exit please.

Womanizer and Pop Life like this.
  2. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 4.948

2015 PLACEMENT: 197 of 210
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.5 x 2 (@Sprockrooster @paullypaul)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 2 (@Babylon)
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

I actually had a far lower score for this one on my first go around of going over the ballot but then it popped up on shuffle when I had my This Is Madonner playlist on in the background and I had a major re-evaluation of it. It's actually really, really solid and she sounds brilliant on it. Probably one of the best songs on Like A Virgin. I mean that's not high compliment but again, I'm left a little perplexed at the vitriol for it when it is, yet again, inoffensive at worst. That chorus is just sugary sweet and I love it. Like I could see me gently bopping in the aisle of a pharmacy to it if it came on the radio, and it's okay for it to be that. There's an entire genre of background shopping music that might not deserve your attention but it does deserve your respect! Nile Rodgers didn't produce this CVS skincare aisle BANGER for you to give it a score lower than 5/10!

So yes, one of my little rediscoveries from this rate. Maybe I should have done an In Defence Of bit for it in retrospect. It should at least be a little higher, but I'm also starting to realise that my Madonna pressure points don't appear to be the same as others. Anyway, I'm off to gently sway towards the park for some afternoon reading in the sun. See you later for more eliminations! I'll leave you with a link to the song that it's an homage to. Which is also a bop.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  3. No.

4. I actually agree with this, despite not being a fan of "Spanish Lesson" and "Incredible" - at least they have multiple redeeming moments, compared to the lifeless "MDNA" tracks.
    And "Hard Candy" generally has a lot of highlights, some of which get trashed, and therefore is my 'guilty pleasure' album.

Have you rated "Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day" instead?

Edit: Oop

Remorque likes this.
  5. I'd say we're about 218 spots too early for that.

And 200 spots too early for that.

Remorque likes this.
  6. I’m so here for the softening of @RJF when it comes to Esther’s Eezy Listening Bops!

7. I don't see what's so bad about Shoo-Bee-Doo, I only gave it a 5 but that's in line with two other Like A Virgin tracks (and above two more).

8. I only gave out 6 zeros across the rate.

I just find that Shoo-Bee-Doo chorus... painful.

9. First of all:
    A good start.

Shoo-Bee-Doo - 5
    ~ A cutie, but a bore at the same time. It's surely a pleasant listen, and there's nothing outright bad about it, although it really goes on for too long and it too saccharine, and therefore I lose interest. I had to reconsider my score for this, but it still remains my least favourite track from "Like a Virgin" and a perfect first elimination from that album (even though it's not in my personal bottom 10 of Madonna songs).
    Screaming at the accuracy of this except from the "banger" part.

And, speaking of ballads from "Like a Virgin", I must say that "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" eats "Shoo-Bee-Doo" for breakfast.

Music Is Death, Remorque and Crisp X like this.
  10. It was a 3 for me so no great loss.

Maki likes this.
  11. Tea.
    Oh, more tea.

12. My lowest score went first, and three of my next four lowest are gone too. Prayer circle for Pretender to hoof it on out of here so I can move on to my 5s in peace.

B-Day Song (Feat. M.I.A.) 3
    Cry Baby 4
    Superstar 4
    Shoo-Bee-Doo 4
    Pretender 4

13. I love Shoo-Bee-Doo. I really should have given it a 10.

Remorque likes this.
  14. Poor Shoo-Bee-Doo, it always takes a beating. I personally like this cute lil ditty.

15. Tea at Poo-Pee-Poo being a pharmacy aisle bop. Very that.

[​IMG]

Remorque, Crisp X, Trinu 3.0 and 6 others like this.
  16. Madonna graced the Princess of Pop with a STUNNING sung-rapped middle 8 (which I believe to be direct descendant of the infamous Soy Latte verse in American Life).

The abject f****try.

Remorque likes this.
  17. Shoo-Bee-Doo is a highlight of Like A Virgin.

Remorque, Euphoria and sfmartin like this.
  18. I’m So Stupid and Love Profusion are my least faves off American Life but it’s definitely way too soon for people to start calling for them to go.

Shoo-Bee-Doo is just so nothingy... not fussed at all it’s gone now.

Andy French likes this.
  19. Shoo-Bee-Doo was a 4 for me so that's another good result. Pretender is the worst song on Like a Virgin though.

20. I agree that's inoffensive but it's part of the slew of 5.5, 6, and 6.5's I gave to the back half of Like a Virgin.

Maki likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.