Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 139 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Chew??? Hard Candy coming up next?

Edit: Y*s

2. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Ddd I love 'Superpop' and think its better than a few songs on Confessions and I never got the hate!

If I was a drink I'd be a lemon drop? I felt that!

Remorque and RainOnFire like this.
  3. RJF

RJF

I wasn't going to include the 2015 scores as well as the placements but it's actually quite interesting so I'll be doing it from now on.

4. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

'Spanish Lesson' is unforgivable and I think its one of the main reasons people don't remember Hard Candy fondly despite it being an actually great album.

Remorque, Euphoria, LTG and 1 other person like this.
  5. RJF

RJF

Speaking about overall album averages has also reminded me that I still need to calculate them. Let me get on it real quick and see what's what...

6. I...understand the problems people have with Spanish Lesson but the guitar and the deadpan ‘work’ segments are great cardio fuel. I stand by my 7!

7. I like the production of Spanish Lesson and I think it bops a bit, hence my 5, but the topline is pretty stupid. It's annoying that she calls it Spanish Lesson when her phrasing of words in another language is at her career worst.

Remorque, Maki, Babylon and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rise up Spanish Lesson. Snatch that 6+ average in 2035.

Both cuts quite hurt for me today. But both expected so nothing to shocking.

Remorque likes this.
  9. I think Spanish Lesson is poorly-written, but the production bops. It’s a 5 from me.

Remorque likes this.
  10. I would've preferred Incredible to have left first, seeing as I gave it a 1. Spanish Lesson and Dance 2nite both scored a 3.5 from me, rounding out as the worst three songs from Hard Candy.

11. A lot of songs on Hard Candy feel like they could made decent with another vocal take, tweaking the instrumental or cutting the fat from the track. Like, there's a good song somewhere in there.

Spanish Lesson is not one of those songs. Should have just been binned.

Maki likes this.
  12. I think the live performance is actually quite good but when I listen to the song within the context of Hard Candy, it's definitely the weakest track on the album for me. Candy Shop has grown on me over the years, and the excellent MDNA and Rebel Heart performances really contributed to that. I like She's Not Me and Incredible much more than I did back in 2008, although both are still too long.

13. My least favourite song on Hard Candy, am I right in thinking on initial release reviews said it was an upbeat La Isla Bonita? Nope.

Also, when you have Ring My Bell, Animal and Across the Sky lying around, but Spanish Lesson gets a place on the album?

Maki likes this.
  14. Seeeeëñoritahhhhhh! I jus wanna fall in lahv! Bop!!!!! 7.5 ñ

15. I’ve come round to its silliness since 2015 so lemme get lumped in with the people who improved its average

16. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Spanish Lesson is a bitsy iconic

17. Stop trying to speak this into existence, Incredible is great and far better than Dance 2Night!

Mirwais Ahmadzaï likes this.
  18. Okay but Spanish Lesson is actually a bop and a half.

19. It's a bop but not 'and a half' certainly the best song gone so far, I gave it a 7. There's worse songs that could've left from the same era in fact. Looking at Candy Shop, Voices, and Ring My Bell.

Remorque and sfmartin like this.
  20. I won’t let @Jonathan27 suffer alone - I gave Spanish Lesson a 6.5. It’s a fun girl!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.