Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 156 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Yas kill each other.

2. Bitch I'm Madonna should be top 40.

3. I don’t need to fight about it luckily - when you’re right, you’re right!

4. I've yet to hear a good explanation as to why Bitch, I'm Madonna is a bad song. It just seems to come down to "it's immature." And it's like, "Yeah. What of it?"

5. K94

K94

Let's flush out a few of those extras, I'm Breathless and Love Song before we get to the others xx

6. Bitch I'm Madonna was the perfect song for Madonna to record/release at the time. It perfectly captures her more eccentric, quirky, fun, mom-on-social-media-but-also-the-world's-buggest-pop-star vibe more than any other song then or since.

Raichu and cheida like this.
  7. ‘Incredible’ isn’t so abhorred in other parts of the world, 73 on Last.fm’s most popular Madonna songs of all time. I know it’s not an exact science but it gives me some comfort. Hung Up is No.1.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  8. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 5.603

2015 PLACEMENT: 206 of 210 (3.657)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 (@eatyourself @Ana Raquel)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 2 (@Suburbia @RetroPhysical)
    MY SCORE: 4/10

Welp, even at this end of the leaderboard, we have our own little success stories. "Cyber-Raga" gains nearly two whole points since 2015 and improves its standing tremendously in the leaderboard as well. Okay, so finishing fifth last with a score of 3.657 maybe isn't the highest of bars to clear, but it's rare to see such a re-evaluation in numerical form. Not bad for a regional bonus track. It was also the b-side to "Don't Tell Me", so it could have done a lot worse in terms of company i.e. most other recorded songs.

I mean, I like it, I just don't think there's much to it. It's basically a production suite with a Sanskrit mantra repeated throughout, and I'm going to go out on a limb and just assume Madonna's butchering the pronunciation. What a production suite though! It led on me quite the rabbit hole with the producer, Talvin Singh, who has worked with Siouxsie and the Banshees and Björk in his time. I'm actually surprised Madonna didn't work with him more considering his sounds were exactly what she was into at the time. Hell, he's a damn OBE these days. Although perhaps he came onto her radar just as she was moving on. Oh well. He did an absolutely brilliant remix of "Nothing Really Matters", which I'm going to post below. It's also had a tour outing, which is rare for songs at this end of the leaderboard! It was used as an outro to "I'm A Sinner" on the MDNA Tour that then bled into main-show-closing "Like A Prayer", a decision I'd be fascinated to know more about. Like, who suggested the use of a song this obscure? Her music director? Did Madonna actually remember it?

Endothelium, Remorque, Wills and 61 others like this.
  9. I don't get how people don't like it. I can sing the lyrics by heart and I don't even know what language that is precisely.

10. Cocteau Twins <3

11. The full version of Talvin's remix of Nothing Really Matters is nearly fourteen minutes long, and it is...a journey.

12. RJF

RJF

The fact that there's a comment on this video saying that this version isn't even the full version sksksks Miss Talvin did not come to play.

13. I think my zero was probably quite harsh. Cyber-raga was one of two Madonna songs on the rate list that I'd never heard. I listened to it, sighed and chucked it a zero. The production is actually really nicely done.

RetroPhysical and Maki like this.
  14. RJF

RJF

Tomorrow, we're back to three eliminations a day, and we'll have breached the Top 200 by the end of the week. What's getting the chop?

15. I had no idea about the Siouxsie and Bjork connections, I’m going to have to learn more about this!

Also, Gambler is a bop, leave it be.

16. A small victory for the Little Ragas!

[​IMG]

17. I’m keeping note of those who bomb Cyber-raga and Shanti/Ashtangi. Just tryna see sumn...

18. Oh I figure it bombed because it's not in English. Yikes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.