Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 159 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I try not to do this as well because Like a Prayer and Vogue are two of the greatest pop songs ever and exceed literally everything else in her discography for me personally so if I could give them both an 11 I would, but Swim is literally magnificent so I gave that a 10 as well. And every other song on the album.

Remorque, acl, stuaw and 3 others like this.
  2. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 5.615

2015 PLACEMENT: N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 (@torontodj @phoenix123 @Filippa)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 2 (@Hurricane Drunk @sexercise)
    MY SCORE: 7/10

Right, that's it. In the Madonna 2025 Discography Rate (hosted by @My Single Is Dropping) we're just sticking to the fucking singles for Evita. "Lament" actually becomes the first song that's not off a main album to be eliminated, which is difficult to get not everyone has that. Serving as Madonna's bow out from the soundtrack, it's performed as Eva Perón lies on her deathbed, just before she succumbs to her illness. Oh, come on. As if I'm putting that in spoilers. Not only is the film over twenty years old, it's also, you know, history. Although I did once have to correct a friend who had been calling Eva Perón... Eva Braun nn.

This is lovely. Those high notes are maybe just outside of Madonna's range, but considering girlfriend is on her deathbed during the scene perhaps the struggle is intentional, and she still sounds stronger than Selena Gomez at the AMAs last year. Did this get marked down purely because Antonio takes over halfway through and it ceases to be a Madonna song after about two minutes? It seems like a bit unfair if so considering she died halfway through it. I also enjoy the irony of it being about living a full, short life rather than one that is long and empty as Madonna sits in her sixties now having lived the existence of several entire universes. It definitely could have lasted a little longer and I would have minded despite my hatred of musicals (why would you start belting it out on your fucking deathbed sksksk) but I suppose we have bigger fish to fry. Don't cry for me Popjustice. Oh. You're not.

The links below are the scene in the film which "Lament" is performed, which Madonna, to be fair, acts the hell out of, and its outing on the Re-Invention Tour, where the song's key plummeted for understandable reasons. Again, Madonna performs it well and with far more gusto than someone about to die. Guess she had a point she wanted to prove.

3. The studio version is a 5, but the Reinvention Tour version is a solid 8.

4. RJF

RJF

PS: That Madonna historian Instagram page that someone posted in the thread way back is actually in the midst of the era where Madonna was filming Evita, and are re-posting excerpts from a diary she kept during it, published by Vanity Fair in 1996. They're definitely worth a read and are an interesting look into her head space at the time. Some of them are funny, some of them are sad... and nearly all of them are conceited as fuck nn. It's maybe easy to see why she didn't do a film as gruelling as this again. I mean the films she was in afterwards were gruelling but in different ways. You can see why she wanted the control of being behind the camera after that.

Here are a couple of the recent ones, but the page has loads more.

"The bishop can kiss my ass." asdfghjkl

5. Was this added to the list later? Because I'm pretty sure I never rated this and checking the PM I sent to @RJF, there's no Lament in there nn.

Remorque and Maki like this.
  6. In the movie it’s a moving moment, no doubt. But on a soundtrack or a rate playlist listening to it isn’t a particularly enjoyable experience.

I know the good sis is about to peg it (insert image of Madonna with the strap on in a bag about to give Guy the fucking of his life here) but hearing vocals that sound like someone is dying? Not for me. It’s why I’ve never listened to someone like Joanna Newsom.

7. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

As one of the few people on this forum who is in a position to confirm this: yes, she is, but her pronunciation on this is still way ahead of Shanti/Ashtangi, the pronunciation of which is just an assault on the ears to anyone who has actually heard a Sanskrit raga. Honestly, this whole period of time was really bizarre to me because it felt very much like what I would now call cultural appropriation - it seemed like she was dabbling in Hinduism and adding religious symbolism (such as the "om" in henna on her hand in the video for Frozen) for no discernible reason.

(For context, the late nineties and early noughties were also a time when a whole bunch of British and American artists seemed to be shamelessly lifting stuff from Hinduism - see also: Govinda by Kula Shaker, Gwen Stefani wearing a bindi for the Don't Speak video and Aerosmith using the god Krishna on the cover of their album Nine Lives before pulling it after protests from Hindus.)

I would enjoy Shanti/Ashtangi if I had literally never heard the Sanskrit language before, so I guess I understand why it's still here, but for me it's really hard for me to get past the way she's basically singing it like somebody is throwing up the words phonetically on an autocue and she's never seen them before in her life. At the time it felt very "what white nonsense is this?"

The lyrics to Shanti/Ashtangi are directly taken from the opening prayer used at the beginning of many ashtanga yoga classes, which sounds like this:

It's safe to say Madonna wasn't exactly meticulous with her pronunciation.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  8. RJF

RJF

"Lament" was added in a conversation in the Rates Discussion thread. Your ballot still has "Waltz For Eva & Che" in its place from old ballot that I posted in that thread. I didn't notice as I was only looking at the numbers when inputting your scores, so your score for it is down as a 1/10.

9. Now that I'm listening to it... I approve this score.

[​IMG]

10. "Lament" is lovely and deserved top 200 placement at least. Me questioning its inclusion here made me realize that it shouldn't even be counted as an integral part of the rate, mainly because the studio version is a collaboration, so weirdly I don't consider it a bigger loss.
    Also, it is the only song in the rate where I scored the live performance (even though that isn't really allowed according to the rules). And, yes, only the four singles from "Evita" should be included next time.

Scream.

Filippa likes this.
  11. I make no secret of the fact that I’m an Evita stan. I think my high Evita scores are probably my only “controversial” submissions to the rate. It got an 8 from me. The tour performance is particularly incredible.

The fact that some of y’all think that Girl Gone Wild is a stronger composition than this...

12. This is literally me listening to Madonna singing in Portuguese dd

13. Thank fuck.

14. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Would it kill her to get a native speaker to come and perform the parts she wants done in other languages? She is really not a natural with new languages and accents.

15. The thought if Madonna playing Eva Braun. Bye.

16. rdp

rdp

I think her portuguese is pretty good on Faz Gostoso I can barely distinguish her voice from Anitta's on it though so that may be part of the reason why ddd

17. It is, but only on that one. I imagine it being a cover made it easier to get it right, it was just a matter of singing just like Blaya does in the original.

18. Poor Lament. I gave it a 10 for three reasons: it's perhaps Madonna's most powerful moment on film. She is completely naked emotionally. She really delivers. Secondly, the score may be out of her range but Madonna has always been an emotive singer so she is able to capture the emotion of the song and I still think her tone is beautiful. Thirdly, the Reinvention performance of Lament is very powerful and was a contributing factor (just like Love Spent, the MDNA performance).

19. Killers Who Are Duolingers though... She really could've just given us sistren a call.

u mun é sovajeim
    u
    khaminho é sssolitaaaahrio

[​IMG]

20. 220. More - 6
    219. Shoo-Be-Doo - 6
    218. Spanish Lesson - 7
    217. S.E.X. - 6.5
    216. Ring My Bell - 6
    215. Now I'm Following You - 4
    214. Jimmy Jimmy - 5.5
    213. Incredible - 7
    212. Cyber-Raga - 4.5
    211. Lament - 5

Out of this section, I would have Spanish Lesson ranked in the 140s, and Incredible in the 150s but otherwise no complaints.

The only terrible song left from I'm Breathless, to me, is Sooner or Later.

Ray of Light got a lot of mediocre scores from me just because they don't stand out to me in a profound manner, a lot of 6s and 7s, including every song mentioned as a 'first elimination'. Shanti/Ashtangi was certainly my lowest score though.

I love everyone coming to defense of Gambler, didn't remember how well loved it was but it was huge discovery for me this time through.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.