Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 166 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I overscored this with a 5. It's terrible, but damn that intro is beautiful. It sounds like it's going to turn into a much more substantial song but doesn't. Hanky Panky is everything I hate about the I'm Breathless aesthetic in one song. I probably didn't score it too terribly because as bad as it is, it's noticeably better than the likes of More, the racist song, Cry Baby, or that soggy duet.

Mirwais Ahmadzaï likes this.
  2. Madonna serves vocals on the live version tho. I love the growl in her voice.

3. Madonna:

@Raichu:

4. Not a lie was told though. Like every other artist, Madonna does have some terrible stuff in her discography, though her quality control is comparatively high.

That being said, it's just weird as hell to see Lament and Back In Business eliminated this early. Though I love it, I can see why Incredible is divisive, but those two really puzzle me.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Maki likes this.
  5. The Re-Invention mix of Hanky Panky pops the fuck off and the song itself is a fun romp. There’s far worse on I’m Breathless (a lot of which has already mercifully been eliminated).

6. I bought the 12” of Hanky Panky from a Charity Record Shop in Edinburgh a few months ago and the man gave me a nervous smile when he rang it through and said, “...wasn’t one of her best, was it?!”.

I didn’t know whether to feel shame or to feel like he was being an ally or what but either way my bottom hurts just thinking about it.

7. Hanky Panky's so much fun.

Y'all...

She sounds out of breath on the whole thing and I live.

stuaw, Music Is Death, funkyg and 4 others like this.
  8. What's left on I'm Breathless is really good though:

Vogue (One of the greatest pop songs of all time of course)
    Sooner Or Later (I like this much better live, but it's still kind of a classic)
    He's A Man (I love her voice on this interesting noir bop)
    Something To Remember (A stunning ballad, the second best thing on the album after Vogue)

Remorque and Maki like this.
  9. Poetry.

10. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.697

2015 PLACEMENT: 159 of 210 (6.147)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 (@BreatheBox @phoenix123)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@Euphoria)
    MY SCORE: 4/10

Love is pain.

And pain is art.

Show me your graffiti heart.

[​IMG]

11. Based on some of the averages I saw, I'm surprised that there hasn't been an elimination from Madame X yet. I'm thinking Funana will probably be the first out, though I've come around to thinking it's the best of the bonus tracks.

Remorque likes this.
  12. I'm quite ignorant in this aspect - what was Vogue released for? I knew it was something unrelated to the soundtrack but never found where it came from.

Remorque and soratami like this.
  13. Natalia Kills <3

14. I was worried about being too liberal with 10's but...the amount of zeroes I've been seeing - some deserved, some not - is...well.

15. Graffiti Heart is cute and creative with an interesting mix of an African pop sound and frantic drum and bass. I gave it a 7.5. It doesn't reach greatness because it's so cheesy and slight and those vocals are not great (I think the demo actually had better sounding vocals), but I like it a lot. It's corny like Hey You, but it actually had some creativity and thought put into it. I love the lyrics about Frieda Khalo.

Remorque and Crisp X like this.
  16. Nooooo...this song is amazing, so much funa dn a complete bop! I hate you ll!

Remorque and phoenix123 like this.
  17. RJF

RJF

The great legend of "Vogue" is that it was almost pissed away as a b-side to "Keep It Together", the final single of Like A Prayer. But then the suits at Warner heard it and, in a shocking display of taste from a label, realised it was too good to not get a full service. The rest is history, but we're not going to be delving into that history for................................. a while. I think it was really just meant to be a cute lil single to keep her profile up as she went on tour. Not that she needed it, of course. Then I'm Breathless rolled around and having a massive No.1 present on it certainly didn't make it sell less.

Remorque, stuaw, Wills and 33 others like this.
  18. I feel like I'm mentalling investing way too much in these early eliminations.

Maki and Andy French like this.
  19. RJF

RJF

So, three songs and another day down! How is everyone finding the pace? I'm actually really enjoying it, but I do know that it's slower than how I normally operate and that even though I did warn this rate would take months, I'm willing to listen if people are wanting me to get the show on the road a bit.

Let's see what we have tomorrow... Oh?

Another single?

See you then.

20. Scream! This is amazing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.