Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 172 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. It’s confusing because I’d agree in this case that the album ending on Falling Free is the true ending of the album, but then the artwork for the deluxe edition seems to be the “true” artwork, as is the case with the deluxe version of Rebel Heart.

nametag likes this.
  2. "Best Friend" is basically a sequel to / reprise of "Incredible".

Can't say I'm sad to see it go.

sfmartin likes this.
  3. Am I right in thinking B-Day Song was originally included on the standard edition or have I made this up?

Future Lover likes this.
  4. I don’t see how „I feel like I lost my very best friend“ is a reprise of „Sex with you is - ugh - incredible“.

DJHazey likes this.
  5. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 5.727

2015 PLACEMENT: 189 of 210 (5.471)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 6 (@Dangerous Maknae @Andrew.L @FridayNight @Michael17 @Music Is Life @tommylander)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@Beautiful Child 2)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

Well, I did my best in the voting period, but "Turn Up The Radio" or less falls in a similar position to where it landed in 2015 when you account for a whole new album being present. Looking at the elimination list it's probably the first "real" single out too that got solid treatment as such, which is really not a title that I would bestow upon it when there is... a far worthier candidate in this very singles run (OH we'll get to that.) but alas. In a rate, the voters are riding shotgun, and shotgun is in charge of the tunes, and I guess y'all chose to turn down the radio.

I'm basically repeated my In Defence Of, but I do think this is quite a cute little ditty. Far from being one of Madonna's finest but also nowhere near her worst despite it rubbing shoulders with crap at this end of the leaderboard. The melody is sweet and light, she rides it fairly wonderfully, and overall that wistful anywhere-but-here feeling is deeply relatable in these lockdown times. I think it was one of the few times Martin Solveig's presence produced something genuinely a bit joyful and fun. You can find the demo below, performed by Sunday Girl, whose album sampler (or was an officially released EP?) is in my iTunes for some reason. Her voice is definitely more suited to it.

Our first song to not only have a tour outing to its name, but also a video actually starring Madonna and not just a stock footage montage! Filmed in approximately two hours when she had time off during the MDNA Tour, Madonna stuck on her best Nancy Sinatra wig and got driven about Florence by a bunch of beautiful men. It's alright for some I guess. The song was also performed during said tour with Madonna... kinda croak-roaring through a lot of it, but it's definitely a far livelier version of the track than the studio version is. The below performance was from her intimate set in Paris, but the setup is the same. Enjoy!

6. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

'Turn Up The Radio' is a lovely little gentle bop and you all did her so wrong. ESPECIALLY since 'Girl Gone Wild' is still in the running.

[​IMG]

7. Uno

Uno

Y'all really did the MOST with not even putting this in the Top 200! It's a fine song.

I can't help but laugh.

8. This is my least favorite song by her not because it's necessarily her worst, per se as much as it is her at her most basic. This is too derivative and faceless a track to be recorded by anyone, let alone Madonna.

Remorque, Skyline, sfmartin and 6 others like this.
  9. I'm screaming at this rate having 150+ voters and Turn Up The Radio not being able to get at least one 10.

I don't even remember how Best Friend goes oop.

10. As it should be.

DJHazey likes this.
  11. Ah yes, and Turn Up The Radio is basically a sequel to Live To Tell.

12. R27

R27

Glad to see it go. This used to be one of the few Madonna songs they would play when I worked in a grocery and my hate for it grew with every listen. Madonna sounds so plain here and the entire package is painfully generic. One of her worse singles; however, it’s not even the worst single from MDNA’s tragic single campaign.

Remorque likes this.
  13. RJF

RJF

And where the fuck is your ballot huh?

14. Girl Gone Wild is better. I gave Turn Up The Radio a 5. Not too bad but painfully generic. Her voice is not light enough for it. Sunday Girl's whispery vocals work so much better.

eatyourself, Maki and phoenix123 like this.
  15. I enjoy it, it's always been a highlight on MDNA for me, a 9 it deserved.

16. I had finals and didn't see this until the day after voting closed
    [​IMG]

17. How is this harmless cute bop worse than Girl Gone Wild or the lead single? Puzzled

18. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

'Girl Gone Wild' is by some margin Madonna's career worst single.

Remorque likes this.
  19. I have scientific proof that Hey You is literally far far far worse.

Remorque, Skyline, KingBruno and 3 others like this.
  20. These feeble attempts to minimize Girl Gone Wild's fanbase compared to a song that didn't get one 10 over this scale of voters, while the Girl Gone Wild likely got at least 10 of them.

I'm okay with this elimination compared to Best Friend for sure, the song is fine but nothing I'm jumping to the defense for in an aggressive manner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.