Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 175 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Similarly, it's my most played Madonna album ever (AHHH)... simply because it came out at the peak of my music consumption. It doesn't have as much to do with the quality of the album as it does the year it came out. See also: Femme Fatale, Born to Die, Electra Heart, fucking Cinderella's Eyes...

2. Cinderella’s Eyes is iconic though.

Remorque, KingBruno, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  3. My Madonna stan phase was middle-to-high school, so my most listened to albums are Music, American Life and Confessions... The other albums aside from maybe Immaculate Collection don't even come close.

Remorque and (deleted member) like this.
  4. I actually went into this rate expecting Turn Up the Radio to be one of the few higher scores I gave to MDNA as I quite enjoyed it when the album dropped only to find it’s completely curdled with time. The vocal production is bad across the album but it feels so stark here both due to the theme of the song and how there seems to be a build up on the bridge only for it to peak with some neutered explosion. It’s better than Girl Gone Wild but just barely.

Remorque likes this.
  5. RJF

RJF

And we bow out today with...

[​IMG]

SCORE: 5.736

2015 PLACEMENT: 193 of 210 (5.387)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.5 x 1 (@DJHazey)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 3 (@P'NutButter @Daniel_O @Ramalama)
    MY SCORE: 5.5/10

AHHHH this is so cute. Madonna's wee baby voice filled with attitude even then. Quite the improvement on its 2015 score as well. Popping up as the b-side to "Papa Don't Preach" in Europe, and "True Blue" in the US, it's a sweet bop about how it ain't no big deal. That's all there is to it. It's actually one of the first songs that Madonna had on her demo tape way back when she was trying to get a deal, along with "Everybody" and "Burning Up". There's a particularly amusing anecdote on Wikipedia about it was originally going to be the b-side to "Everybody"... until those in charge heard "Ain't No Big Deal" and just put "Everybody" on both sides of the record sksksk.

It was produced by Stephan Bray, did a good chunk of work on Like A Virgin and True Blue, which is why I'm guessing they were able to get their hands on it for a b-side. He and Madonna had originally been dating for a brief while and remained friends after breaking up, being part of a band that went swiftly nowhere and defunct, before Madonna finally said she had had e-fucking-nough of this shit and wanted to go solo. Bray then released it as part of an unofficial compilation in 1997 along with other early Madonna songs he had lying about in the vault. The official release date of said compilation was deliberately timed to leapfrog off the press of Lourdes being born. Thus ends your hourly reminder that men are trash. Good night!​

6. I shouldn't be surprised considering it gets a weird amount of hate around here, but...Ain't No Big Deal being axed before GAYLuvin'? Gals.

Remorque, RainOnFire, evilsin and 5 others like this.
  7. RJF

RJF

8. I'm a little bummed about Best Friend. The numbness to the production & M's delivery is offset by the deeply personal lyrics, which I think saves it.

I feel nothing when I think of Turn Up The Radio. If it comes on, I'll listen. If it doesn't, I won't seek it out. It's just there. I get what she was trying to do with it, but it's not nearly as effective as the Sunday Girl demo.

Remorque, dodoriazarbon, Maki and 3 others like this.
  9. The absolute worst track of the early years.

Womanizer likes this.
  10. Lila

Lila Staff Member

It’s still so funny to me that they randomly play Turn Up The Radio on Radio 2 semi-frequently. Of all the Madonna songs.

11. RJF

RJF

Tomorrow, it's meant to be two hundred goddamn degrees in Glasgow with a few thunderstorms to boot. I'll be trying to run naked through any of them while also pondering making love in a train cross-country. Then I'll be sitting on my couch with a bag of ice on my crotch until the numbness spreads to my soul. Hopefully we'll get into the Top 200 amidst all that!

Remorque, Wills, GimmeWork and 28 others like this.
  12. I didn't realize the Sunday Girl version was out there, I've been bopping to the ultra-LQ version that Solveig played at a set that one time. I would've probably scored the M version lower if I'd heard this in glorious HQ... Sunday Girl fits it so much better.

Also, her performance on the MDNA tour was atrocious all three times I saw it, in the golden triangle we were slightly shielded by the overwhelming backing track, but in the seats... let me cover my ears a bitsy.

Remorque likes this.
  13. And, scene.
    [​IMG]

Remorque, Babyface, Crisp X and 14 others like this.
  14. RJF

RJF

Well, you're used to bopping to low-quality demos for years aren't you.

15. I’m not too bothered about Ain’t No Big Deal, it’s exactly what I expect from a b-side.
    It’s harmless though, I wouldn’t skip if it came on.

Skyline, Maki and Mirwais Ahmadzaï like this.
  16. Apparently the crew didn’t even know about the length, literally just Madonna and her management. Tickets were the full MDNA tour price, shocking! I’m not sure what it was even for.

17. Sad that the top 100 is going to be full of her maudlin ballads now.

Modeblock likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

Remorque, Maki, Crisp X and 7 others like this.
  19. Ain't No Big Deal sounds wimpy and has a weak melody. If it had more oomph, it might work. I gave it a 4.

20. I don’t even know where to begin with this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.