Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 176 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. ............................... . . . .

2. Give us song titles. Create the ultimate mess.

Remorque, Maki, K94 and 9 others like this.
  3. Wasn’t there some story about why Ain’t No Big Deal didn’t surface until 1986?

4. Poor Turn Up The Radio. I just realised after heavy stanning Chromatica Turn Up The Radio fits in nicely in sound.

5. She wanted I Know It to be the b-side to all her singles and then the label stepped in ddd.

The only thing I’ve read about her early b-sides is that she’d choose songs where she got most of the credit so then she’d get most of the royalties, which explains the same songs popping up again and again for the entire 80’s. Or something like that. I love that early Madonna was a Business woman!

Edit: I’d love to know why b-sides were far and few for her entire time with Warner, with so much being left in the vault, which has all mostly leaked. Then the 2010s were inundated with leftovers.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  6. RJF

RJF

I imagine it's down to the Stephen Bray connection? I know he was thrown off production duties for the debut and didn't re-appear until Like A Virgin, where they were understandably blasting ahead with new material. I imagine they just had it lying around and already licenced to chuck out as a b-side? I'm not really sure.

7. Ain't No Big Deal is heavenly and sounds like something that would've bopped on 80s radio, not a damn B-side.

NightmareBoy likes this.
  8. RJF

RJF

The way she just ate these men up and spat them out... icon.

9. Turn Up The Radio sounds like a Selena Gomez song released during her Disney days.

Ain’t No Big Deal is cute, there’s worse still in but at the same time I don’t care that it’s out already.

Pop Life, Modeblock, Verandi and 2 others like this.
  10. Best Friend x Heartbeat for the MDNA Tour was such a fucking serve. I like that Inside Out on Rebel Heart kinda followed in its weird, grinding, industrial, emotional footsteps.

11. The lifeless production in the chorus of Inside Out though...

12. I meant the demo...

Babylon likes this.
  13. "Ain't No Big Deal" is cute and this is exactly where I expected it to leave, so I'm fine with that.

Well, she had taste. "I Know It" could've been a nice single, actually.

14. I'm disappointed to see Incredible drop out already ddd but I knew it was inevitable. I quite like Pretender even though the production is very... sparse and static.

Best Friend is pleasant in certain ways. I'm not upset by it but I think there are worse offenders remaining.

Turn Up The Radio is shit.

Bleu Noir, nikkysan and Jonathan27 like this.
  15. I gave Turn Up The Radio a 8 and I'm surprised. Then again, my averages for this album were overall high and I'm sure it's all about nostalgia. Once I dreamed there was a car playing Turn Up The Radio in a random street and suddenly Madonna was on top of it and t's a dream most pleasing to me in my career.

FridayNight likes this.
  16. WHY IS GIRL GONE FLACID STILL IN THE RUNNING?
    [​IMG]

17. In the end I just didn't have the time to participate in this but for what it's worth I would leave have chosen Into The Groove as my 11. Interested to see how it all unfolds.

18. RJF

RJF

My Madonna playlist is on shuffle during my morning workout and it’s hard to keep a straight back during “Waiting” when all your instincts are telling you to arch like rent’s due.

19. The story I read is that Ain't No Big Deal was supposed to be the A-side, i.e. her first single. If true, thank goodness that got changed. "Everybody, come on, dance and sing" talk about the perfect lyric to start her legendary career. "Ain't no big deal," not so much... I still don't get how anybody could hear Everybody or Holiday or Borderline and think "No, let's go with that No Big Deal song!"

Oh, and "Waiting," what a track. It really encapsulates all of Erotica's themes so well: anger, frustration, bitterness, mixed with desire and somewhere under all that, hope.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.