Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 191 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 5.964

2015 PLACEMENT: 192 of 210 (5.441)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 (@Suburbia @Andrew.L @unnameable)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@Dangerous Maknae)
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

Although the position looks similar, "I Fucked Up" has actually climbed quite high considering there were more songs to overcome this time around, and an uptick of over half a point is nothing to sneeze at. Agonisingly close to breaching the 6/10 threshold too, considering the next song manages to clear it. This could have gone quite a bit further if it was up to me, but unfortunately it isn't. Produced by Martin Solveig, it's actually a fairly sedate ballad with well-produced vocals. On MDNA? I know, I'm shocked too, but I think Madonna sounds great here and winds around that melody like it's a pole and she wants good tips tonight. It also shares the same characteristic of the other MDNA divorce tracks of being... shockingly up front and candid in terms of laying out the issue, where Madonna is basically admitting that she also had a part to play in the dissolving her marriage and is sorry that it had to end in such a grisly manner. The sting in the tail at the end of the track when you learn that maybe the entire thing is so sweet because she's being sarcastic just makes if you ask me. Like, of course she's not apologising. She's unapologetic to the point of being a bitch, if later songs are to be believed.

Doomed to bonus track status on an already derided album, it hasn't had any outings in terms of live performances, although it would have been great on the MDNA Tour or even during Tears of a Clown. It's just cute but irreverent also. Yeah, y'all did this a bit dirty to be honest. It should definitely be in the top tier of MDNA tracks left rather than here, but what can you lose do?​

2. Bye to both
    [​IMG]
    I gave Some Girls a 5 and I Fucked Up a 3. Now we just need to finally cleanse the rate of Dance 2night and that'll be 3/3 for me.

Maki, cheida, Womanizer and 4 others like this.
  3. When it goes double tempo as she's making a list of all the things they could've done... honestly, a moment. A properly good song. Should NOT be gone this soon.

4. Dance 2night is worse than either Some Girls or I Fucked Up, but some girls fucked up I guess...

5. RMK

RMK

The kii is Bebe's vocals being at a proper place in the mix.

6. I did not expect to lose a 10 before the Top 100...
    Ugh, the final half of this song is bloody wonderful.

Get A Grip Hens,

madgemad likes this.
  7. RJF

RJF

I mean, are Bebe's vocals ever in the proper place? I got to her CROYING in the limousine before closing the tab.

8. I Fucked Up was tied for my highest score on MDNA (at a 7.5, dd) so I would’ve liked to see it hang around a bit longer. I find it very affecting to hear Madonna THEE Madonna being so apologetic and self-reflective about how her actions hurt another person and to reminisce on what could’ve been.

And the ‘or not’ at the end is a scream.

Dreampopboy and cheida like this.
  9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

YAS die MDNA.

Push, acl, Maki and 2 others like this.
  10. These last two cuts got one point total from me. Bye!

Modeblock likes this.
  11. I rarely listen to that song so I’m glad to see it go. The only two songs from MDNA I’d love to see go far are Beautiful Killer and Masterpiece.

Maki likes this.
  12. I Fucked Up didn’t deserve to go this early. Sure, it’s not top tier Madonna but it’s definitely kinder to the ears than some of what’s left.

13. The MDNA apologist in me is about to start swinging

14. I Fucked Up is great?

15. Not the Bebe demo being a lot better than the actual song. Also, "I Fucked Up" has always had a special place in my heart. Somehow it tugs all the necessary string of my heart and I can't give it a low score, not to mention that middle 8 is superb.

16. Sad I didn’t get to finish my scores for this but I Fucked Up is one of the few songs I return to from MDNA. It’s a great little track! Sad to see it go this early.

17. Nor did I, but I just lost "Some Girls".

[​IMG]

18. So spot on.

Maki likes this.
  19. RJF

RJF

Let's kick the last one of the night out, shall we?

20. Come on Killers Who Are Partying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.