Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 196 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

@RJF can I delete these posts instead?

2. Wow the absolute goop of Killers making it surprisingly far in the rate where so many voters had problem with racism in I'm Going Bananas.

4. Oh it's been a bit since I've recapped my eliminated scores.

210. Pretender - 5.5
    209. Back in Business - 7
    208. Love Makes the World Go Round - 7.5
    207. Hank Panky - 7
    206. Graffiti Heart - 7
    205. Best Friend - 9.5
    204. Turn Up the Radio - 7.5
    203. Ain't No Big Deal - 9.5
    202. Can't Stop - 7.5
    201. Revolver - 7.5
    200. Super Pop - 6.5
    199. Buenos Aires - 7
    198. Give Me All Your Luvin' - 10
    197. He's a Man - 5.5
    196. Some Girls - 9
    195. I Fucked Up - 6.5
    194. I'm a Sinner - 7
    193. Killers Who Are Partying - 6.5

He's a Man was overdue, but honestly Sooner or Later got a 4 from me and I'm wondering how it's hung on this long and survived most of the I'm Breathless slaughter.

I'm glad some of the MDNA tracks I'm not fussed about are going but Some Girls was expected. I did think Give Me All Your Luvin' would last a bit longer, it's such an effortlessly catchy pop song and I don't know why it gets hatred. I'm not as a big a fan of Gang Bang or I'm Addicted, and wonder why they seem to be looked at as highlights of the album.

Some songs that I'd like to see go based on my scores:

Love Don't Live Here Anymore
    Love Song
    Act of Contrition
    Sooner or Later
    Fever
    Where Life Begins
    Love Tried to Welcome Me
    Bedtime Story
    Shanti/Ashtangi
    Voices
    Medellin
    Batuka
    Extreme Occident
    Looking For Mercy
    I Want You

Sprockrooster likes this.
  6. It’s the fact that you’ve minimised Medellín as if people would strongly disagree but you haven’t minimised Bedtime Story and I Want You.

7. I don't know, I've seen a bunch of people hold Medellin in such high regard in this thread and not the others, maybe I've missed something?

8. People calling for Unapologetic Bitch when it’s clearly a Rebel Heart highlight?

You know, you never really knew
    How much you loved me till you lost me, did you?
    You know, you never really knew
    How much your selfish bullshit cost me
    Well, fuck you
    It might sound like I'm an

[​IMG]

9. I think it’s appreciated, but I’ve seen others who don’t think it was the right lead single. I love it and I don’t think it should be eliminated for a while but it’s not my favourite on the album for sure.

10. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 6.036

2015 PLACEMENT: 195 of 210 (5.241)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 4 (@fatyoshi @Up Down Suite @DinahLee @Sleepycat)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 (@acl)
    MY SCORE: 5/10

The only version of this song that was ever officially released was one marked as a Rough Mix Edit, sitting on the b-side to "Secret", the lead single of Bedtime Stories. Listening to it, the parentheses make a whole deal of sense, but I thought it was still valid to include anyway considering it is, for all intents and purposes, an entirely unique and complete song. Still though... rough is right. There's maybe a really good song here that a day or two more's work would have revealed, but the version we were given plays its entire hand in the first ninety seconds and after that, kinda just feels like when the girls would loop iTunes previews in the early 2010s and put them up on YouTube to try and trick people into thinking an upcoming track had leaked. Plus, the butchery of Dallas Austin in what he did to Madonna's vocals here, making her sound like she smokes four packs a day. That wordless, repeating hook where she sounds like a wounded gargoyle. No, ma'am.

Still though, an enjoyable little detour that, again, maybe shouldn't have gone as far as it did as you can see by the meteoric rise from 2015's rate. It's cute! There are little flecks of Prince in the production that I can appreciate. I just wish it sounded as seductive as it's trying to be rather than Madonna being produced to sound like the witch trying to lure Hansel and Gretel to her wee gingerbread house or however the story goes. I had a troubled childhood okay I wasn't reading fucking Jack and the Bean Stalk or w/e!!!!!!​

11. RJF

RJF

I'll return most likely much later on this evening with our final elimination of the day. PEACE.

12. What you were actually reading in your childhood:

[​IMG]

13. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Signed copies of these go for an absolutely obscene amount of money dd

14. RJF

RJF

Dood-Bye Drace?

15. Let Down Your Guard is great just like everything else from the Bedtime Stories era. Can’t wait for her to include it in the virtual Get Unconscious virtual concert to celebrate the album going to number one!

Womanizer likes this.
  16. Ouch! The first of my 10s to bite it! Fair enough. It's a rough demo. But some of you have never had to cum inside and it shows!

Womanizer likes this.
  17. Something I love about Let Down Your Guard is it sounds like T-Boz is singing on the chorus. It’s very CrazySexyCool.

18. "Let Down Your Guard" is a reasonable and perfectly fine elimination at this point.

One thing I didn't expect is that it managed to get four 10's - it literally sounds like a song that wouldn't have its highest score higher than a 9 to me.

dodoriazarbon likes this.
  19. Let Down Your Guard is gone far too soon, I think purely because of that (Rough Mix Edit) tag and it being relegated to b-side status. It's the 'worst' song from the Bedtime Stories era but that still places it reasonably high in her catalogue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.