Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 212 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 6.191

2015 PLACEMENT: 168 of 210 (5.99)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 (@DJHazey)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 2 (@Bleu Noir @Mister_G)
    MY SCORE: 4/10

I hate to say it I hope I don't sound ridiculous but I don't know what this song is. I mean, it could be walking down the street and I wouldn't... I wouldn't know a thing. Sorry to this song. I'm not even being that hyperbolic. In fact I'm probably lucky it didn't come up in that game I mentioned last week where I had to guess the Madonna song by the first five seconds because this would have stumped me. I think I've listened to "It's So Cool" a grand total of five, maybe six times.

1. Discovering it actually existed in the perineum of Celebration
    2. Scoring it in 2015 (1 and 2 might have happened in one listen)
    3. After @DJHazey gave it his 11/10 in 2015 to wonder what on earth he was thinking
    4. Doing the write up for its elimination in 2015
    5. Scoring it in 2020
    6. Doing the write up for its elimination in 2020

Narrator Voice: He didn't yet know it, but the sixth time would actually be the last time @RJF listened to "It's So Cool" because when the time to run the Madonna Discography Rate for a third time came, he would instead choose to jump from the nearest bridge.

Bizarrely enough, it was originally an American Life outtake, which at least explains the lyrical perspective and the Mirwais Ahmadzaï writing credit. Did Paul Oakenfold just power hose any identity off of it? I mean, at least "Revolver" manages to imprint itself on your memory for better or worse. The 2002 demo is a marked improvement if only for the fact that the spirit of the song hasn't been crushed under anonymous pop-dance production but overall it doesn't sound fit to lick the sole of the shoes of any song on American Life in any form. I've included a link below. There are also a few attention seekers on YouTube with demos marked as being produced by Bloodshy & Avant, and I can confidently tell you, dear readers, that this is a hoax and they ever touched the damn thing. Another myth busted wide open by my pole of truth.

This will be the last time I acknowledge this song. I've already forgotten what it sounds like, although I'm sure @DJHazey is about to tell us.

2. "It's So Cool" is the epitome of a song that I would've never imagined to have any full-on stans like @DJHazey nor have any major detractors nor anyone trying so hard to wipe it from its existence like @RJF, but this rate continues to surprise me.
    It's definitely a song that exists and it's quite good in its extremely inessential glory.
    Needless to say, the "American Life" demo version of it is much better for sure.

3. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

I also couldn't tell you what 'Its So Cool' sounded like if you put a gun to my head.

4. How did I listen to that demo just now and it's less notable than the Celebration version?

5. Why is "Heartbeat" still in?

[​IMG]

Aester, Lila and Future Lover like this.
  6. That's a bit odd. Obviously, the production is more finished on the "Celebration" version, but the song is significantly more bland. Also, her vocals on the "Americans Life" version are much better, and I find the whole organic, campfire, sing-along feel of it highly endearing.

Music Is Death and cheida like this.
  7. It's not like It's So Cool is a 10/10 for me, but honestly, if I listen to Celebration, Revolver and It's So Cool in a row...It's So Cool is the clear winner.

8. Illuminati is a a sinister bop and the kind of ridiculousness that works through sheer force of will. I feel quite out of touch based on some these early stage eliminations...

9. It’s So Cool is uneventful, I would have much preferred Broken, in fact scrap Revolver and just give Celebration and Broken.

cheida and Future Lover like this.
  10. Everybody in this party is not shiny like Illuminati, to be quite fucking honest.

It's So Cool...is fine. This feels like the appropriate time for it to be out

11. R27

R27

Glad to see Illuminati go, but I actually quite enjoy I’m So Cool. Based on some of the reactions to it, I was expecting much worse and was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I actually scored it the highest of the four Celebration tracks. Hopefully the next elimination will be one of the songs on my sub-6 score hit list.

Aester, DominoDancing and Maki like this.
  12. I’m wheezing that people thought she was paying homage to Da Vinci in her list of deceased musical legends.

@RJF thanks for dedicating Illuminati’s write-up to the tour performance. The audience was gooped.

13. My thoughts on It's So Cool

[​IMG]

(I can't remember what it sounds like either)

14. I know it's heavy-handed (an understatement) when you look at a song repeating "we need love love love" but the message speaks volumes in the literal hell we've been living in during 2020. The lyrics are very desolate, seeming to point to some kind of 'world's end' scenario that again speaks at a slightly higher volume today. But honestly I heard the song for the first time in 2015 and immediately couldn't get it out of my head. It has the perfect kind of 'sad bop on the dancefloor' soundscape that can work with me in spades if done right (like this or the remix of "Crazy" by Alanis Morrissette for another example of an all-time favorite that every other person on the planet would consider random -- for some reason it can to mind when thinking about this subject so don't @ me). Honestly, most of the 00s/10s songs were new to me back then and I had no clue how it was regarded, it could've been some gem buried in her discography and I just became the newest stan for it. I didn't work out that way, it ends up being some anomaly that I love it so much, but this is far from the first time and won't be the last time something like that happens.

15. Oh and don't worry, my actual 11 is infallible and I'm sure @RJF agrees you can't argue against it.

16. Nothing Fails <3

17. Not to go back an elimination but the Illuminati interlude was truly fantastic. My heart was in my mouth the entire time watching it live.

funkyg, acl and dodoriazarbon like this.
  18. What the fuck at Illuminati going out this early. The lyrics are nonsensical but like, *looks at song title*, and it pops ALL the way off. I especially love the way the production sounds like it's starting to level up before collapsing near the end. Y'all are a mess.

19. RJF

RJF

20. RJF

RJF

Let's try that again, shall we?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.