Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 216 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.245

2015 PLACEMENT: 152 of 210 (6.284)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 12 (@Euphoria @Cutlery @Suburbia @elear @Ana Raquel @torontodj @theelusivechanteuse @TheChoirgirlHotel @LTG @Mr Blonde @Music Is Life)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 2 (@Sideout @Markus1981)
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Sorry, but I have to scream. "Act of Contrition" finishes its run inside the Top 180, beating out nearly fifty other actual songs to be here. Iconic. I'm only just noticing that it nearly made into the Top 150 last time too. You truly can't keep an absolutely terrifying album outro down.

There doesn't appear to be any kind of consensus online as to what this is even about, and Madonna has never specified, so it remains one of the many intriguing mysteries in a career packed with them. My take? Well, I more or less shared it when "Act Of Contrition" came up in conversation in the thread last week. Queen is rather flippantly saying her prayers so she can be absolved of all sins and get past those pearly gates, with the chopped and screwed and reversed "Like A Prayer" cacophony playing underneath her as a representation of all her filthy sinning ways. Unfortunately it turns out that St Peter thinks she's full of shit, and after sincerely apologising for being an asshole in the eyes of the Lord... she turns into a demon on His doorstep because it turns out Booking.com lied to her several times. That's really it. Like A Prayer on a whole has Madonna repeatedly dipping her quill into the church's ink for some naughty (and some not) double entendres, so it makes sense the album ends with a perfunctory and half-hearted apology for doing so.

Elements of the track were used in the performance of "Like A Prayer" on Blond Ambition, but... it's a little too early to posting that sort of thing, isn't it?​

2. Love yourself.

3. Not that it's a goal anyone should have, but I've lost three 10s already. Not everyone has that!

acl, Sleepycat and Maki like this.
  4. I can't believe that got twelve 10s.

5. I can’t believe it got a single 10.

6. I was going to give "Act of Contrition" a score of 6.66, but that wasn't allowed, so I settled on a 6.5.

Scream at the amount of 10's it received.

AshtrayHeart and NightmareBoy like this.
  7. LTG

LTG

8. RJF

RJF

Stay mad beasts!

9. I find the unmixed version of Confessions on Spotify almost unlistenable after being used to the mixed version. Jump just seems so limp without that outro/intro from Forbidden Love.

acl, Push, AshtrayHeart and 2 others like this.
  10. I should have given it a higher score. It feels wrong to see it go. It's so iconic!

11. My first 10
    [​IMG]
    I gave it out of pure admiration of ending one of her most iconic albums like that, without giving a single fuck. And also getting the catholics tits up, which she excels at. It's an amazing listen

12. R27

R27

I only gave it a 7.5, but I’m still kind of pressed that a Like a Prayer track (that isn’t Dear Jessie) has left already.

Babyface likes this.
  13. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to the unmixed version in full. I remember hearing the unmixed outro to Isaac once and just knew it was not for me.

14. By the way, I just had to rewatch this video. It's so iconic and I wish I had 1% of her presentation skills.

15. I mean, the TASTE of those Twelve Apostles giving Act of Contrition its deserved 10s!

16. Act of Contrition is genuinely one of my favorite Madonna tracks. It's brilliant.

17. I gave it a cautious 9 but it honestly is a 10. That kumbaya moment when she starts clapping and halfheartedly singing "Oh my God, I'm heartily sorry"... What a scream.

18. I gave it an 8, but I enjoy it more than the other 8s on the album...hmm. Intros, interludes and outros are always difficult to rate.

19. I don't have a huge amount to say about the cuts so far, but I'm loving the write ups nonetheless @RJF. They're keeping me educated and a couple of them have made me howl.

Music Is Death, K94, Crisp X and 15 others like this.
  20. I gave it a 2. it was my lowest score left in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.