Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 222 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. American Life better be left untouched until top 50.

cheida, Maki and sfmartin like this.
  2. Don’t Stop better look over its reductive little shoulder ...

3. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.339

2015 PLACEMENT: 163 of 210 (6.095)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 (@Andrew.L @Up Down Suite @scottdisick94)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 (@HEARTCORE)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

This just ain't up to all that much, is it? Part of what Bedtime Stories does so well as an album is that it still manages to sound like an authentic Madonna experience despite the fact that it was probably the lowest she had ever bowed to trends in her entire career (which isn't bad going considering this was album number six and she was twelve years in the game) but if there's maybe one song on the album where it verges into landfill 90s RnB, it's this one. I mean I'll admit that sometimes in my darkest hour I do, in fact, find myself singing la di da di, but overall it just doesn't really add much to Madonna's canon, or the pantheon of fantastic 90s RnB at large. What it really would have been elevated by is a rap verse by someone who was popular at the time, if only to break up that dull as fuck melody and the fact that it feels like it barely has more than one verse. Not one of Dallas Austin's finest.

An interesting thing to note is the Daniel Abraham credit on Spotify when in the booklet he's only credited for additional production. It appears there was a more complete version of this song with a far different vibe that Madonna axed completely, and the version we have on the album is, according to Abraham, "an incomplete, stripped-down version of [his] original idea." which actually explains a lot about how this sounds like ninety seconds of a song on a loop.

There's also a claim on Genius that the main beat is taken from "Right Here", the absolute JAM by SWV that was released originally in 1992, but I can't find any trace of a crossover between the two songs. The closest it gets to Madonna is that it's apparently a very young Pharrell that does the "The S, the double, the U, the V!" tag, but apart from that, nothing else. It does kind of fit though. If anyone else can confirm or deny this, feel free. I'm going to leave you to enjoy this bop on your Sunday evening.

Just when you think it can't get any more 90s, this was actually part of the fucking Free Willy soundtrack. MEMORIES.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  4. Bedtime Stories is my favorite Madonna album, but Don’t Stop is definitely the weakest link there.

5. RJF

RJF

Let me see what we've got to look forward to this week. Hmm...

Oh.

Looks like a mauling is on the horizon.

Might do four eliminations for the drama.

Might not.

Love to keep the girls guessing.

;)

See you tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

177. Don't Stop - 6.339
    178. Girl Gone Wild - 6.324
    179. I Know It - 6.267
    180. Act Of Contrition - 6.245
    181. Fighting Spirit - 6.227
    182. I Don't Give A (Feat. Nicki Minaj) - 6.203
    183. It's So Cool - 6.191
    184. Illuminati - 6.167
    185. Funana - 6.161
    186. Dance 2Night - 6.152
    187. Borrowed Time - 6.118
    187. History - 6.118
    189. Sooner Or Later - 6.109
    189. One More Chance - 6.109
    191. Back That Up To The Beat - 6.076
    192. Let Down Your Guard - 6.036
    193. Killers Who Are Partying - 6.015
    194. I'm A Sinner - 6.012
    195. I Fucked Up - 5.964
    196 - Some Girls - 5.933
    197. He's A Man - 5.924
    198. Give Me All Your Luvin' (Feat. Nicki Minaj & M.I.A.) - 5.921
    199. Buenos Aires - 5.894
    200. Super Pop - 5.848
    201. Revolver (Feat. Lil Wayne) - 5.827
    202. Can't Stop - 5.77
    203. Ain't No Big Deal - 5.736
    204. Turn Up The Radio - 5.727
    205. Best Friend - 5.721
    206. Graffiti Heart - 5.697
    207. Hanky Panky - 5.691
    208. Love Makes The World Go Round - 5.679
    209. Back In Business - 5.67
    210. Pretender - 5.661
    211. Lament - 5.615
    212. Cyber-Raga - 5.603
    213. Incredible - 5.545
    214. Jimmy Jimmy - 5.521
    215. Now I'm Following You - 5.497
    216. Ring My Bell - 5.424
    217. S.E.X. - 5.373
    218. Spanish Lesson - 4.997
    219. Shoo-Bee-Doo - 4.948
    220. More - 4.852
    221. What Can You Lose - 4.436
    222. Superstar - 4.391
    223. Auto-Tune Baby - 4.121
    224. Cry Baby - 3.367
    225. I'm Going Bananas - 3.327
    226. B-Day Song (Feat. M.I.A.) - 3.000
    227. Hey You - 2.976

6. Don’t Stop is one of her most nothing-y songs lyrically but that production is gorgeous.

7. Wasn’t Warner pushing for Don’t Stop to be a single? Can you imagine?

8. They made Give Me All Your Luvin' a lead single. Are you that surprised?

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  9. I can. I love it, and I only started loving it these past couple of years. It's such a wonderful earworm.

10. Don't Stop is cute. There really aren't any bad songs on Bedtime Stories.

Also Right Here fucking SLAPS.

11. "Don't Stop" is a cutie, but definitely inessential among Madonna's songs.

Along with "I'd Rather Be Your Lover" (which would be my ideal first cut from this album), it's my least favourite song from "Bedtime Stories", so I'm not bothered by its exit.
    The rest of the album, though, ranges from great to magnificent and shouldn't be leaving in a long time.

soratami and Daniel_O like this.
  12. Give Me All Your Luvin' was released through Interscope. I didn't mean it in a negative way, I'm actually imagining this being played on the radio and getting a music video back 94/95. Maybe a single mix.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  13. I agree that Bedtime Stories is also a favourite of mine but Don't Stop is the weakest number. The sing La Di Da Di line makes me cringe, a 5.5.

14. Bedtime Stories is one of my favourite Madonna albums but Don’t Stop is definitely the low point of the album, and probably the low point of her 90s music in general (I’m Breathless excluded obviously)

15. Don’t Stop wouldn’t have been my first cut from Bedtime Stories but it’s also not a huge loss. Things continue to go remarkably well for me, I’m kind of perched for the mess to start.

Andrew.L and nikkysan like this.
  16. Don't Stop isn't awful but it is trash compared to all the other R&B that was being produced at the time.

Mr Blonde and Mirwais Ahmadzaï like this.
  17. Let Down Your Guard and Your Honesty could've both replaced it in retrospect, but I appreciate that we have it.

18. Don’t Stop is a cute bop. I don’t really get the disdain for the “sing la di da di” lyric because it wouldn’t sound out of place on some of her best 80s stuff?

Music Is Death, Euphoria, K94 and 5 others like this.
  19. RJF

RJF

I just watched The Girlie Show for the first time in years and phew, it's so fucking queer. The nudity, the sexuality, the sensuality. It's also probably the start of her hilariously cruel, self-indulgent setlists. She really said, "Y'all have put me through hell this year so you're going to pay to listen to what I want to perform." and made the girls eat it.

I also can't really think of another popstar outside Beyoncé who has been such a solidly reliable performer for such an extended period of time. Madonna's always been a jack of all trades in terms of performing talent. No one is highlighting a routine during an instrumental break or the duration of her belts, but from tour to tour to tour there's never really a point where her output dips until... Sticky & Sweet, and even then she's still good. She's hitting every beat, catching every note, and is effortlessly commanding a whole stage and tens of thousands of people all at the same time. You can see the work she puts in too; her body is custom built for providing the stamina required for a gruelling two hour show. She gives the girls what they paid for every time.

We're very lucky to have her, aren't we?

20. Girl Gone Wild is by far my highest score so far ddd.

Modeblock and DJHazey like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.