Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 224 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SCORE: 6.409

2015 PLACEMENT: 161 of 210 (6.139)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 (@Remyky22 @Filippa)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@sexercise)
    MY SCORE: 7/10

And the first single from Evita falls! The life of this song is actually has two stories. It was originally released in 1977 along with, unsurprisingly, the original version of Evita where it peaked at No.18 in the UK. In this version of the musical, it was apparently sang by some hoe that Eva's man was seeing behind her back. Then, of course, twenty years later, Madonna comes along and takes it to No.7 because anything you can do, she can do better. Her version of the song is less hoeish though; Eva sings it as she leaves her deadbeat partner to improve her life. Been there, sweetheart.

I... must have been feeling particularly gracious when scoring this track because while it's lovely and I enjoy the production, it's also not a 7/10 in my book. Madonna makes use of her newly discovered upper register to great results but it's just not really my bag. Or my suitcase, in this instance. Antonio low-key sounds like Kermit the Frog here too. One thing I discovered that I did find amusing is that, in recording the Evita soundtrack, Madonna was uncomfortable recording her vocals in the presence of the eighty-plus piece orchestra and demanded that she get her own private studio space to record in, which: scream. Sis, you're really going to personally write to the director of the film to beg for the role then start making demands? Queen of social distancing twenty four years early I guess.

"Another Suitcase In Another Hall" has actually been covered loads of times over the years, so I'm going to leave you with a version performed by someone who was truly reaching for the stars and for the appropriate note. See you later on this evening!

[​IMG]

(Imagine most likely queuing for hours (okay, maybe twenty minutes) to be at the barrier at G-A-Y for Kimberley Walsh's album of covers of songs from musicals. Couldn't be me!)​

2. Aw I really love this one, it's my favorite Evita track bar You Must Love Me. I actually came to love it during the first rate, and I remember it was sad to see it go a bit sooner than it deserved.

Filippa, Lila and Maki like this.
  3. I am not a fan of musicals but 'Another Suitcase...' is one of my favourite musical songs. But I'm not that keen on the saxophone in this version. My supervisor and me sometimes sing it at work.

Filippa likes this.
  4. "Over and Over" outlasting three other album tracks from "Like a Virgin" is a twist I wasn't expecting nor hoping for.
    That being said, "Stay" is a filler, so I won't miss it.

5. Not Kimberley Walsh.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  6. That Stay demo is a bop. Damn.

7. I really wasn’t expecting to come on here and see Kimberly Walsh.

8. RJF

RJF

But who got the three film postcards with the limited edition cee dee single is what I want to know

[​IMG]

9. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 6.433

2015 PLACEMENT: 176 of 2018 (5.858)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 (@BreatheBox @Pop Life)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@Fortune)
    MY SCORE: 3/10

I get up again, over and over

[​IMG]

You get up again, over and over

[​IMG]

Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah
    Shout it, shout it, shout it, ah
    Over and over
    Over and over
    Over and over
    Over and over

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hurry up
    Hurry up
    Hurry up
    Hurry up
    Hurry up
    Hurry up
    Hurry up
    Hurry up

[​IMG]

I get up again, over and over (over and over, over and over)

[​IMG]

10. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Okay but

Call in three months time, and I’ll be fine I know
    Well maybe not that fine, but I’ll survive any how
    I won’t recall the names and places of each sad occasion
    But that’s no consolation, here and now”

is a perfect verse.

11. YAAAASSSSSS!

[​IMG]

K94, Bangers&Bops, Aester and 5 others like this.
  12. R27

R27

Well, there goes my favourite Evita track. We can bin the rest of them anytime now and I will be unbothered.

Maki likes this.
  13. RJF

RJF

I'll return later on this evening with a cheeky bonus elimination. Might start chucking them in occasionally just to keep things moving along smoothly!

14. She sounds angelic on Another Suitcase. I paid it dust for years because for a long time, if it wasn't Ice Queen Madonna I wasn't interested okurr but I'm glad I eventually gave in to Evita.

Over and Over is fine. "You try to criticize my drive / if I lose I don't feel paralyzed / it's not the game it's how you play / and if I fall I get up again now" is a great prechorus

15. Stay is far superior to Over and Over so it's a bit of a shame we fucked it up.

ALSO I prefer Don't Stop to I'd Rather Be Your Lover but it's not as glaring as the aforementioned comparison.

Another Suitcase in Another Hall is very nice, I hadn't heard it until this rate. It's no You Must Love Me but I like it more than Argentina.

Ramalama and Maki like this.
  16. Another Suitcase In Another Hall was probably my favourite discovery in the rate, it definitely deserved better.

17. Stay should have beat Over and Over by a good few placements, wish I'd been harsher on O&O because it is bloody irritating.

Aester and Maki like this.
  18. The original demos for Stay and Don't You Know were both pussy poppers and the fact that she repurposed them to make this... was a choice

19. The Over and Over write-up. *chef's kiss*

20. Can't believe that the underproduced, repetitive mess that is "Over and Over" surpassed 50 songs.
    Good riddance!

True (to some extent).
    True (100%).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.