Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 226 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I'm not particularly bothered by the Like a Virgin culling but I do think there's more varying of quality between them then their successive boots imply.

2. "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" is excellent and shouldn't have been out anytime soon.
    Actually, it's in my "Like a Virgin" trinity.

Thinking that "Over and Over" almost surpassed it... nice to see that my scores made some impact, after all.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Daniel_O, Aester and soratami like this.
  3. The latest batch of eliminated song was all fine songs from 6 to 7,5, but somehow "Stay" is stinging the most with an 8 I gave it.

Phonetics Girl, R27 and relby like this.
  4. "Love Don't Live Here Anymore", Japan single 1985 where it was backed with fellow eliminee "Over And Over" (which was released as a single in Italy.)

[​IMG]

The 1996 single cover is an outtake from the "You'll See" video set with her arms removed and her head titled back as though she's lying in repose. They were taking this "prepare all for Evita" thing very seriously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regarding the video...

Evita Diaries: Buenos Aires [Tuesday, March 5, 1996] :
    "Freddy [DeMann] has come to visit me and brought me massive amounts of caramel corn, Fiddle Faddle, peanut brittle, and licorice whips. This is by the way, fairly reliable way to get to do things I’m not keen on doing. Which is exactly what I did yesterday.
    A video on my day off!

I’m so immersed in the life of Eva Peron and the movie music that I could not remember the words to my own song, no matter how many times I tried. It felt funny to be me with green eyes, hair down, and Gucci caftan. I consciously rejected the idea of being me. I am on strike. I am temporarily laid off, I do not exist until movie is finished.
    But I did enjoy my candy."

[​IMG]
    That dodgy loop of the audio track beginning around 3:45, when it finally gets to the close-up! This must have been her best take and someone thought a perfect solution to the millisecond where she missed lipping a "love don't" was to make the music track more jarring.

Mess.

Finally, she'd already worn this dress at the December 1995 VH1 Fashion & Music Awards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ONWARD!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  5. RJF

RJF

Ready?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.458

2015 PLACEMENT: 154 of 210 (6.272)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 (@discoteca @Andy French @torontodj @joeee @Bleu Noir @phoenix123 @Filippa @fancygreen)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 3 (@unnameable @K94 @happiestgirl)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

And that's it for I'm Breathless! ...Well, kinda, but you know what I mean. The final Breathless Mahoney track does its last fan dance of the night before vanishing into the either, and... I think I'll kind of miss her? This is a track that sounds far better in isolation than it does on its parent album, and it's a shame that I'm only realising that now as I relisten; I probably would have bumped my score up by a point if I had had this experience before voting ended, but as y'all know, the voting period for this rate was only an hour, so we all had to be quick, didn't we?

But yes, this is really nice. It has some of the strongest verses around at this time in Madonna's material, she sounds incredible, and a slightly moody, melancholic lounge singer is actually a role she slips into marvellously, but then maybe it shouldn't be a surprise from the queen of reinvention. She and Patrick Leonard really were just on fire for these years. It's also bizarre that it was the namesake for the ballads compilation five years later and yet never received the single treatment, despite them dusting off "Oh Father" and "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" for the promo. I guess it's doomed to be a little under-appreciated. I do seriously recommend that everyone listen to it on its own rather than in the middle of... a rather arduous album.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be, at least not in this lifetime.​

6. The way this dropped nearly 20 places...oh well. I'm glad it stuck on this long, at least! It's one of her most underrated ballads.

7. Well, there goes another 10. I’ll always love this song. Also the thought of her doing a theatre tour as Breathless Mahoney and singing this has always excited me.

8. RJF

RJF

A wee write up and round up graphic is incoming for I'm Breathless! I'm fully aware it has one track remaining, but - spoiler - the gulf between it and the rest of the album is such a profoundly yawning chasm that it feels more right to do this now rather than then.

9. Losing two 9's in a row (both of them used to be 8.5 at some point, though)...

[​IMG]

Please don't do more than three eliminations per day.

FridayNight and Filippa like this.
  10. Today was a good day!!!

11. Sorry to be mean, but can we have a current "what's left" list? I wasn't even aware that "I'm Breathless" left...ish already.

Sprockrooster and Maki like this.
  12. Yes Vogue never really belonged to this album, kind of a stranger ('though a very good stranger)

I have to say I'm mourning about "I'm Breathless", because it's one of my favourite albums. But I understand because it's so different, somehow musical-like and maybe dated now.

My ranking of her albums:

1) True Blue with an average of 8,33
    2) American Life and Like a Prayer with an average of 8,00

4) Erotica with an average of 7,92
    5) I'm Breathless with an average of 7,91
    6) Like a Virgin with an average of 7,78
    7) Ray of Light with an average of 7,71
    8) Hard Candy with an average of 7,62
    9) Confessions on a Dancefloor with an average of 7,57

10) Madame X with an average of 6,78
    11) Rebel Heart with an average of 6,54
    12) Madonna with an average of 6,25
    13) Bedtime Stories with an average of 6,18
    14) Music with an average of 6,17

15) MDNA with an average of 5,75

13. RJF

RJF

This is a one off.
    Since we hit Top 175... okay, but once the leaderboard is up.

14. Is this an indication that a certain Erotica track is coming up tomorrow... (I know it's a lyric on both songs)

15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

'Something To Remember' is...an unfortunate title to be included on that particular recording dd.

Dangerous Maknae and R27 like this.
  16. Oh, and R.I.P. "I'm Breathless". Even though you are Madonna's worst album, you aren't that bad at all.

17. I think this is the first shocker for me. I thought Something to Remember would be in it a lot longer.

cheida, Maki, Bleu Noir and 1 other person like this.
  18. Stay is... great for me. I had no ideia it was hated at all. And even thought I like Over and Over, I still think Stay is better. Someone else mentioned but cool to remember Over and Over was a single in Italy and it's one of her most expensive items ever.

[​IMG]

And the 5 eliminations were such a rush today.

19. RJF

RJF

20. The demo version of Stay is flawless.

Womanizer likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.