Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 230 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.461

2015 PLACEMENT: 140 of 210 (6.564)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 (@joeee @phoenix123)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1.5 x 1 (@RainOnFire)
    MY SCORE: 4/10

This is a bit shite isn't it ladies? Taken from the Super Duper Mega Ultra Okay Fine No More Songs Promise Oh Wait Here's A Few More Right Now We're Finished Edition of Rebel Heart, this leaves "Addicted" as the last remaining track from that little epilogue that was tacked onto the already gargantuan album. The song that sounds like the afterbirth of "Hung Up" just to jog your memory. How surprising, but I digress.

Here, Madonna arrives a good few years late to the empowerment anthem trend to remind us that - spoiler - did you know that, like, your bad things are also what make you good? Yes, like every edgy MySpace bio back in the day, Madonna's been through some tough shit but she's come out the other side stronger! Join the club, sister. Well adjusted people are a minority these days. I just find the entire package a bit insipid to be honest. Madonna's brand of empowerment has always been more, "What the fuck are you doing on the floor? GET UP!" rather than, "God mistakes no mistakes, you're on the right track baby you were born this way! <3" so to have her dip into indulging that fairly dry well by 2015 was just a bit tedious, pointless, and - dare I say it - reductive. It's about as close as she comes to throw pillow sentiment in terms of lyrical matter. That fresh out the tin disco_prod_014.mp3 production isn't helping things stand out either, sounding downright out of place in the context of the lyrics. It's just a meh track all around. The fact that this was all we got out of sessions with Rick fucking Nowels is a travesty.

I'm including a video to the demo below, purely because I think it's one of the few cases for Rebel Heart where the demo was, in fact, better. That lovely, warm guitar riff really just adds a bit more heart and melancholy to proceedings rather than Madonna bopping to her mental scar tissue in the final version. But it's like the difference between a 4/10 and a 6/10 at the end of the day, so. Madonna has far better songs that start with "Beautiful...", but we'll get to them in due course. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. Am I the only one that thinks her vocals on the Rebel Heart album hit a sweet spot between classic 80s rough round the edges pop Madonna and overly trained Evita Madonna?

madgemad and FridayNight like this.
  3. I actually do enjoy Beautiful Scars when I'm listening to it, but I immediately forget it's existence and what it sounds like once it finishes. Definitely doesn't feel very "Madonna", as the writeup rightly calls out.

Dddd why would you open this can of worms?

4. Keloid Scars should have gone about 20 eliminations ago, but thank god it’s out.

5. Yeah the finished version of Beautiful Scars screams “just turn it into a sweet disco track!” Maybe re-recording the vocals could have made it a bit more believable.
    At least the demo version has the essence of decent B-Side by The Cure.

madgemad, Maki and dodoriazarbon like this.
  6. I adore the Beautiful Scars demo and the way her vocal was shoehorned into a new melody on the album version is still jarring. It should've been more in the vein of this amazing fan-made remix (I know I've posted it a handful of times already elsewhere but IDGAF)

7. I love the demo and the final edit of this a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Like, only six songs on the album scored the same or higher a lot. I actually didn't realize it was so widely loathed until this thread took off.

8. I was surprised too, I’ve only ever seen praise for it, even if it had worn thin on me.

9. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Beautiful Scars is a cute girl.

10. RJF

RJF

I do want to say in tandem with that write up that "It doesn't sound like a Madonna song!" is generally a lazy critique unless it's qualified massively, as part of Rebel Heart's charm is that it's basically a massive pop jukebox karaoke night and Madonna's determined to hold onto the mic until closing, so naturally part of that is that she tries new things. I just don't think it sounds like a good Madonna song. It's a really basic, tired conceit to build a song around to begin with, but when you factor in it was done by Madonna and Rick Nowels and it sounds like the third single off an album by The Saturdays, it's just unforgivable.

Production on the demo is lovely though. Shame BloodPop ruined it! But we're used to that by now in 2020, aren't we girls?

11. This one hurts but I sadly saw it coming. I must admit that it passed me by on this horrible album, but then I listened to it in isolation and it clicked immensely. I'm very certain this would be much more appreciated if it were part of Like a Prayer instead.

12. RJF

RJF

Anyway, I just returned from hitting a PB for a 5K ("KING!" - y'all) so I'm off to have some dinner before returning to knock out the other two of the night.

Maki likes this.
  13. He was also responsible for Devil Pray, Iconic and Body Shop, so for that I am thankful

14. I like the final Beautiful Scars (and really liked it the first couple of months after the album release) but a cleaned up version of the demo would have been truly a moment.

15. "Beautiful Scars" suffers from being very basic and buried among tons of other bones tracks, so I won't miss it the slightest.
    Honestly, "Rebel Heart" can get culled a bit, as some of its remaining songs are average at best.

And yay at "Addictive" being the longest lasting out of the four super deluxe tracks! Small victories etc.

16. Devil Prey was vastly improved and Body Shop is one of my favourites on the album, but I fear its end might be near.

17. This is GORGEOUS.

18. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

There's something charming about the 4 extra Rebel Heart tracks (I fully consider the deluxe the true alberm) in a 2009 kind of way. They're all tracks with nothing special about them that all could have been 4kbps leaks but here's Madonna throwing it all out there. You have to applaud her gumption for issuing so much, swerving her own 'Taxi' situation with braindead stans demanding the release of something that ultimately turns out underwhelming.

19. Body Shop should be Top 100 at least

20. Body Shop should have been eliminated already.

DJHazey, JMRGBY, Sleepycat and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.