Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 233 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Your Honesty - 8
    ~ This is a prime example of a song unfairly suffering due to it being considered a rarity and/or being released in an obscure way. I was really hoping it won't be a case this time, since in the previous rate it was competing against the 00's and 10's songs, but the curse strikes again. Very random release, though it should be greatly valued. I really enjoy this tune. It's that sophisticated bop that's missing on "Bedtime Stories" - could've easily replaced either "I'd Rather Be Your Lover" or "Don't Stop". Why did they decide to leave it out? Great production, excellent melodies (especially the pre-chorus) and awesome harmonies. I really like the swirls/quirks in the instrumental, as well as how the short verses cleverly blend with the choruses. Very memorable song, too - I prefer it to at least three other songs that made it on the album. To be honest, I think I slightly underscored this one myself.

I'm 100% sure that if "Your Honesty" appeared on "Bedtime Stories", it would've been much more appreciated and placed at least 10 spots higher.
    An unfortunate release/classification led to an unfair elimination of this hidden gem.

2. I have a name...

3. Your Honestly is pretty shit. It's just weak. It sounds like it was written in 2 minutes and has some of her worst verses ever. I overscored it with a 5.

Don't Stop is realistically a 5 (or even a 4), but that beautiful lush production elevates it quite a bit. To a 6.

Something To Remember is a piece of art; one of her most atmospheric ballads. Eliminating it for I'm Breathless's crimes is not fair. I gave it a 9.5.

I don't have much to say about Another Suitcase other than it's a strong Evita track with gorgeous vocals. I put an 8 on it.

I really don't see the problem with Beautiful Scars. Lyrics are slightly corny but within reason. Otherwise, it's a lovely melody on top of a classy and enjoyable production vibe. That got a 8 from me, but I might have overscored a tad.

Stay is of a much higher caliber than other Like A Virgin album cuts. It has way more of atmosphere and and gravity to it than the likes of Over and Over, Shoo- Bee-Doo or Pretend. It's an easy 7.

Love Don't Live Anymore got a 6.5. Outstanding vocals delivered with passion and grit, but I think the song is boring and the production didn't age well.

Over and Over is like a slightly better Jimmy Jimmy. Cute but a 6.

I'm okay with Bitch, I'm Loca getting eliminated. It's quite good, but it really lacks flavor compared to Medellin. Played way too straight on an album that's not played very straight. I gave it a 7.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  4. Ciao Bella should have been out before Bitch, I'm Loca. It bores me something fierce and is such a chore whereas Bitch, I'm Loca, while slightly generic, is still a little concentrated burst of energy.

Maki and tommylander like this.
  5. Unpopular opinion surely, but prefer Loca to Medellin. Much more kinetic in its groove.

6. I wish she snatched Soltera for Madame X instead, but Bitch I'm Loca slaps a bitsy. Ciao papi! Byebyebye

7. Bitch I'm Loca is the basic bop but also a nice reminder of what a joy "Medellín" was and how it could have turned out so thank god dd

8. Bitch I'm Loca is definitely amongst the weaker Madame X tracks objectively, but that did not stop me from almost bursting into tears one of the times listening to its second verse and how THRILLING it is when Madonna says that she can be your perra or your bebicita with Maluma singing on top of her, or rather her on top of him, cause she likes to be on top, ver cómo te excitas. We love to see a transcultural queen peg a hottie on her own terms. What a delightfully fun and funny bop. But the best thing about it is when you hear that giggle after YOU CAN COME INSIDE segueing into I Don't Search I Find, the sheer RANGE exhibited in those 4 seconds of music.

9. Some people have never seen my booty get down like and it shows.

They're the lucky ones.

10. RJF

RJF

Good morning! Today’s trio contains maybe the most shocking elimination so far. Any guesses?

11. Like A Prayer!

evilsin, happiestgirl, citoig and 6 others like this.
  12. LTG

LTG

Maybe an 80s single? Gambler? Would that be a surprise?

13. RJF

RJF

I said a surprise; not a lynching and being left for dead in a gutter.

14. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.558

2015 PLACEMENT: 129 of 210 (6.765)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 4 (@Sprockrooster @Daniel_O @joeee @Markus1981)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@theelusivechanteuse)
    MY SCORE: 5/10

Oof. I've never been a fan of this, and I will be correct in labelling it as a bit of a dirge unlike half of Pop & Justice who will label anything they don't like as a dirge despite it not fitting a criteria at all. But yeah: DIRGE. It's difficult to get excited over what is essentially a fairly miserable, tawdry piano ballad this late in Madonna's career, and this doesn't really make a case for it outside of a fairly impassioned vocal performance... but even then that's marred by some curious choices (the wobbly attempt at ironing out her vocals in the second verse come to mind). Those drums sound like something that would play as the coffin is lowered into the ground at a military funeral before several people shoot rifles into the air for some reason.

But yeah, I was most puzzled when people were labelling it as a highlight when the album first came out, with some even going as far to label it the sole highlight. Like even if you're at the point where you're yelling at clouds and find Madonna's current day bops to be just noise, you have far better ballads on Rebel Heart that are far more interestingly crafted and performed. It's a boot ladies. It seems to be another one of the tracks that got passed around like a power bottom at Fire Island last weekend - boasting nine writers - and maybe ends up sounding a little focus grouped as a result. Oh well.

As mentioned a few days ago, it actually got an outing during the Rebel Heart Tour with a rather marvellous routine that saw it mashed up with "Love Don't Live Here Anymore". It'll be the best use of stairs you'll see all week, I promise. Unless you already watched this on Monday...

15. Supernatural still being here
    [​IMG]

16. LTG

LTG

Some girls just want to shag a ghost

17. How is I Love New York still in?

18. Is right and just and fair because bop.

19. LTG

LTG

I'm just listening to Funana and I'm still not over Da Vinci.

dodoriazarbon and acl like this.
  20. Oh well. Disappointed about HeartBreakCity being so low. It's gorgeous and her best song from her recent albums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.