Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 245 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, my first 10 leaves... Yes, in the form of "Supernatural" - I unashamedly adore it.

If I had to choose, it would be my least favourite out of the 10's I gave in this rate, and also the only option out of them to leave first, but the lack of taste here is appalling.

2. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.652

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN
    17 - 144 of 210 (6.456)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 5 (@sfmartin @scottdisick94 @DinahLee @paperboyfriendd @Verandi)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@Markus1981)
    MY SCORE: 5/10

I feel like there has been such a uniform consensus on this track over the years that a write up isn't even necessary. The lyrics are shit. That's honestly about it. Not even the way that Madonna lyrics can sometimes be shit because it feels like she's going round in circles in a comfortable wheelhouse; they're straight up awful. They could be written by an eight year old, complete with compulsory naughty word in the second verse. I feel bad, sad, and mad. We waited over twenty years for Madonna's love letter to her spiritual hometown and we get this? New York deserves better, girl ("Ha! Suffer!" - @theelusivechanteuse). I do wonder if it maybe started life as one of the tracks she was writing for the musicals she was briefly involved with before Confessions was released. At least it would maybe make sense in that setting... a little.

All five of my points here went towards the spectacular production, which just blossoms when performed live, as you'll see below when the song made its way onto the setlist for Confessions Tour. It says a lot about how good Confessions is as a show that it wasn't hampered by this popping up. Madonna regains some cool points in the middle by actually swearing and dragging George Bush (who was the President at the time... God, time has passed hasn't it?) instead of talking about golf. But yeah, those stately drum rolls are perfection and I think it's probably one of the most interesting productions across the album.

For some inconceivable reason, a demo of the song was included in the live CD of I'm Going To Tell You A Secret (which I swear used to be on UK Spotify but isn't any more) along with select live cuts from the Re-Invention Tour. The demo... kinda sounds like something The Donnas would do, so it's interesting in terms of tracking the song's journey to something that would fit more with Confessions On A Dance Floor, but still: who was asking for this?

3. OH! Well then...

4. By the way, "Supernatural" is not only my highest score (and only 10) out of all thirty-something extras in this rate, but also my second favourite song from the entire "Like a Prayer" album sessions, with only the title track being superior.

[​IMG]

Andrew.L likes this.
  5. LTG

LTG

AND YOU CAN SUCK GEORGE BUSH'S DICK is an iconic moment, let's be honest.

6. RJF

RJF

I've listened to Confessions Tour so much that the studio version without that sounds jarring. Madonna dragging Bush is also an iconic part of her career in general and I can't believe it was fifteen years ago.

7. Maybe Supernatural was too ahead of its time for me, but I thought it sounded like shit.

Cutlery likes this.
  8. These tumbles are so interesting. Messiah freefalling 45 spots, Supernatural with 31, I Love New York with 17. I'd say we could thank Madame X, but we've already eliminated 4 of the 18 tracks, so that only works for NY.

Euphoria, Maki and nikkysan like this.
  9. [​IMG]

10. The correct first standard track cut from Confessions though. I feared it was gonna be Push.

11. I don't feel sorry for them, I feel sorry for this song!
    What a deliciously weird one...And how weird is that it was apparently written during the True Blue sessions and finished for LAP? Then released as the b-side to her most inoffensive song? Then remixed for an Aids-charity album, where they tried (and failed) to turn it into a conventional bop?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Maki likes this.
  12. Yeah New York is immensely listenable but it's terrible lyrically.

13. I do love the "I don't love you, but I love New York" lyric from the demo - it has this sense of brattiness that's missing from its eventual studio incarnation.

The rest of the lyrics, though? They can go to Texas.

beekeeper, madgemad and cheida like this.
  14. Have I flirted with the idea of giving I Love New York my 11? Maybe so. I mean yes lyrically it's embarrassing but it really does go the F off.

Future Lover, Sleepycat and Ramalama like this.
  15. RJF

RJF

Oh, you'll suffer for some of your scores eventually.

16. [​IMG]

17. I Love New York - 7.5. My lowest score on the main album. It's a shame about the lyrics because the production is really great. Although I do like the line 'If you can't stand the heat, then get off my street.'

Aester and Maki like this.
  18. @RJF I definitely didn’t give Supernatural a 10. I can’t even remember what it sounds like. I think you’ve looked at my score for the song underneath that in the list

19. RJF

RJF

Oh no.

aaronhansome likes this.
  20. I Love New York is definitely in the so bad it’s iconiqué category for me.

As she says: Being a New Yorker is about having a FUCK you attitude!!1 And she really did say fuck you to any semblance of good song-writing on this track. I respect that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.