Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 249 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I love the throwback sound of the music and Kimi Djabaté's parts, but it feels like she's the featuring artist. It sounds very "bonus track" to me.

Maki, Sprockrooster and rav4boy like this.
  2. My first ten! But not surprising. It’s an unusual entry in her catalogue but I think it’s just pretty breath-taking all around. I’d love to read a full translation.

3. Ciao Bella is incredible and serves as a much better closer than I Rise. I just wish we knew what the actual lyrics are.

Crisp X and Chezam like this.
  4. But of course the majority of the forum is too confined in their disgusting consumerist modes of thought and conduct to admire the revolutionary brilliance of Ciao Bella. You will regret it when you hear it playing from the barricades and burning cars when Madonna joins us in destroying the shackles of capitalism and the song becomes the new Internationale.

5. Ciao Bella is beautiful, and I think it deserved a spot on the standard edition over some other tracks.

6. It could have replaced Bitch I’m Loca for sure, but I appreciate them wanting to put one more “bop” on there. And Ciao is a hard one to sequence except write at the end, really.

joeee likes this.
  7. ciao bella is my favorite from madame x............

Stopremix, Crisp X and Phonetics Girl like this.
  8. Yeah, Ciao Bella is one of the stronger Madame X moments for me, and a rare moment where the vocal messery doesn't become too abrasive for me.

Dino is actually Portuguese, it's his parents and grandparents that are from Cape Verde. He does speak English and served as a translator for Djabaté, aside from being a musical consultant of sorts, just like you said.

(He's also one of the sweetest people I've ever met and his own music is transcendental.)

9. I used to love Ciao Bella on release, while thinking the other two bonus bonus tracks were ok, but unlike the main album I grew out of love with the song quickly. An appreciated addition to her catalogue nonetheless

Maki likes this.
  10. I think Ciao Bella is boring and sounds dated; it does the world music thing in a much less interesting way than the album proper. It should have left a long time ago. I gave it a 4.5.

Maki likes this.
  11. I like "Ciao Bella" but it reminds me of Seal's first record.

"Seal... I've got some globes you can warm..."

torontodj likes this.
  12. I didn't know about the Italian protest song?! Ugh, queen.

13. Sis you literally gotta acquaint yourself with La Casa de Papel. It's an amazing/trashy Spanish show which features it prominently.

14. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.702

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 82!!!!!!! - 76 of 210 (7.642)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 5 (@Sprockrooster @tylerc904 @Remyky22 @1991 @Markus1981)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@Phonetics Boy)
    MY SCORE: 9/10

JESUS. What happened? "Iconic" loses nearly a whole point from its 2015 score and crashes over eighty places too. What caused such a harsh re-evaluation?! I would be surprised if this isn't our biggest drop in the entire rate. Iconic? More like Icannot.

Just kidding! I love this track! It's so gaudy and stupid and confrontational and big and I always love when Madonna is on a bit of a power trip in her songs because... well, she's damn well earned the right tbh. "Say I have to fight and I can't wait." is a perfect lyric for someone who has been so gloriously ready for battle her entire career. The instrumental drop also sounds like she's opened a portal to hell and the entire world is being sucked in. It's just a massive load of fun. It also features Chance The Rapper before he became Chance "Excuse me ma'am! Do you have a minute to talk about Jesus Christ?" The Rapper, and he delivers a brilliant verse all about how being deified can also lead to people pulling you down and tearing you apart just to study you. CHEERY. It also features a spoken word intro by... Mike Tyson, because he's a FIGHTER. And the song is about FIGHTING. And also Mike Tyson is a MESS. From Rolling Stone:

Tyson ad-libbed his part of the song — which he says was done in one take — and drew inspiration from an unlikely icon. “When I did it, I think about being some guy like [Benito] Mussolini and they’re really arrogant, but you try to come from a positive perspective and be uplifting. You watch Mussolini on television — even though we don’t understand what he’s saying — he is so mesmerizing. I look at myself in that way.

“I know people may say ‘this guy’s a fascist’ and all this stuff, but man, you can take positivity from watching him,” added Tyson. “No wonder why Hitler was attracted to him. This guy’s a hypnotic figure. There’s so much pride behind what he’s saying. I’m not even Italian and I feel the pride he’s projecting. He had that street swag; he was doing this stuff with his hands and moving his head before it was even hip-hop.”

[​IMG]

The track acted as the opening song to the Rebel Heart Tour, and with it, received an extended and rather brilliant intro, complete with a video featuring Mike Tyson, and Madonna dressed in her iconic Marilyn Munroe garb, bruised, bloody, and held captive, which is actually pretty powerful imagery about how she's perpetually held to unfair standards and trapped into certain archetypes of her past by the media. Still being defined as "The Material Girl" thirty years after you initially expressed the sentiment must get frustrating. You can enjoy the performance, and the opening video, below. Along with Madonna's smooth af live autotuned vocals.

15. RMK

RMK

Why did everyone let this drop? Mess.

16. Iconic is great and I’m surprised it’s out so early.

I rewatched the performance earlier and I forgot what a great entrance and it was, and how great the tour was.

Mvnl likes this.
  17. Iconic was cute for a few listens but I don't find myself coming back to it at all. Mike Tyson's presence is also enough to lose a few points.

18. R27

R27

Glad to see it go. I'm pretty sure that Mike Tyson quote made me lose some brain cells. His feature, and return to cultural relevance around the turn of the decade, makes me uncomfortable to say the least considering his history of domestic violence.

19. I loved Iconic when the album came out, I was convinced it was THE banger on the album and should have been the opener, but then I got bored of it and just never really wanted to hear it again... but over the past week I’ve been listening to Rebel Heart a lot and I’ve actually got a new found appreciation for this song and I probably would have scored it higher.

20. Great song. Great tour opening. Chance's verse is GREAT. The track sounds polished and expensive, the breakdown is demonic. A solid 8 out of 10 affair. Anyone that scored it less than a 7 is simply incorrect.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.