Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 257 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I imagine a lot of more casual fan voters skimmed over Best Night. It's subtle on an album that isn't THAT subtle at all. I think for some listeners, these moments become background noise. Body Shop won't be far behind, unfortunately.

2. It's a shame Best Night is out as it's lush and filthy all the same. It's up there with some Erotica tracks for me, seaux... I reappreciated it after listening a couple of times to Rebel Heart for this rate and it's one of a few tracks that actually grew on me more than it initially did...

I suggest y'all get leathered up after drinking a bottle of wine and listen to it on repeat.

[​IMG]

3. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

"Best Night" is one of the best tracks on Rebel Heart. It's hypnotic, actually sexy, and Madonna sounds like she's absolutely ready to dom top another 27 year old notch in her belt.

4. All these good Rebel Heart tracks leaving and yet Body Shop is still in? Make it make sense!

soratami, DJHazey and Maki like this.
  5. I just realised this and I’m actually horrified that Best Night is out before that song.

Maki likes this.
  6. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Body Shop is a 10 and you can all continue to seethe.

7. I was about to write that it always helps when a song has had a live performance, but then I thought about I'm Going Bananas.

8. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.785

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 17 - 135 of 210 (6.785)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 (@happiestgirl)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1.5 x 1 (@RainOnFire)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

"Who is the master, who is the slave?"

[​IMG]

...No, don't worry, I'm not done this time. I was a bit shocked to be reminded that I gave this a 6/10 when I was expecting it to have been a 4 or 5. There's just... no flavour here. Justin Timberlake once again makes sure he can get a (Feat.) credit in case they want to make this a single by singing a chunk of it for no real reason, and Madonna sounds bored as hell as she ponders over who is really in control of a relationship. Let me help you out, honey: it's the person who cares the least, and that's the tea. Am I right, ladies?

I think this suffers doubly because it follows what it is probably the only time Hard Candy has any kind of emotional tension in "Devil...", and this kind of covers the same lyrical content with far lower stakes and less drama. It also... sounds like a 128kbps radio rip. 808 blow outs all over the place, vocals sounding like someone scrunching up paper in the same room... Like there are the bones of a decent song there, but it's all just so limp and crunchy sounding. Although to be honest I remember this being a problem for Timbaland in general in the latter section of his time as Producer of the Moment as if he was trying to compress everything to the point of regressing to the second dimension, so.

My current self to my past self giving this 6/10.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  9. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

'Voices' is the worst track on Hard Candy.

[​IMG]

10. RJF

RJF

Oh and before one of you breaks a goddamn ankle running in here with, "THE ORCHESTRAL VERSION IS SO MUCH BE--" the main reason I didn't post it in main write up is because, despite it being a fairly accepted alternate version... I couldn't find where it originated. Is it a demo? Is it fanmade from leaked stems? Is an official release on something that I've missed?

11. ding ding

12. FINALLY! I've been waiting for Voices to depart since the 200s

13. These good Rebel Heart tracks going is not it.

Iconic has trite lyrics, but the sonic experience has impact. It feels appropriately epic. And Chance The Rapper's verse is wonderfully creative. I gave it an 8.

Veni Vidi Vici is one of those odd experiments that always seem to pop on Madonna albums. It successfully blends a lot of things together that initially seem like they shouldn't go together, showing the unorthodox thinking that's so integral to her work. Nas's verse is appropriately grand and those horns go off. The only thing I don't like is her voice on the chorus. I think the referencing in the verses works fine and really don't see the issue. I also gave this an 8.

Best Night has both Erotica and Bedtime Stories energy and I think it sounds great, particularly her voice, but I gave it a 7.5 because I don't come back to it often.

As far as Addicted is concerned, thank Goddess that shit's out. The lyrics are Katy Perry levels of embarrassing cliche and the rest of the song is not good enough to make up for it. I gave it the 4 it deserves.

Shanti/Ashtangi is kind of a Killers situation for me. Problematic, yes, but it is exquisitely made. It sounds like a journey. But I guess the sonics don't captivate me as much as Killers because I gave it a 7.5. It's the right track to be first out from Ray of Light. But if this is the worst track on the album, you know you're listening to a masterpiece.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  14. Voices - 5.5
    Best Night - 5.5
    Veni Vidi Vici - 5.5
    Broken (I’m Sorry) - 6
    Shanti / Ashtangi - 6
    Addicted - 5.5

Can't say I'm too sad about the last few eliminations, especially after ya'll tanked Iconique! We really need to purge the rest of the Evita tracks though.

Euphoria, paperboyfriendd and R27 like this.
  15. RJF

RJF

A mess. Dust shall remain its payment then!

16. Voices is one of the better tracks on Hard Candy for me, hence my 8. The melody is very interesting and even the faux-philosophical lyrics work.

Broken was a 7 for me. A solid bop, but I don't really have all that much to say about it.

Maki, rav4boy and nametag like this.
  17. before Heartbeat? tragic.

rav4boy and Future Lover like this.
  18. LTG

LTG

Voices is another one of the tracks from the musicals she was writing before Confessions. It's quite the progression from this:

19. This is quickly turning into a fucking mess, good grief. Rebel Heart is bloated but we've now lost several of her best album cuts this decade because apparently y'all got fatigued and just started throwing out mediocre scores.

20. RJF

RJF

I will be... speaking on a few things this evening after our final elimination of the night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.