Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 266 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.884

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 23 - 124 of 210 (6.848)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 (@aux @DJHazey @soratami @WoW73 @Zdarlight @joeee @wintersleep @Music Is Life)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 (@theelusivechanteuse)
    MY SCORE: 8/10

And the mess rolls on! It's been a while since we hacked into MDNA. It's gone untouched for about thirty places since [redacted] left, only for us to lose what is possibly the best track on the whole damn thing. To say most tracks on the album are riddled with problems would be an understatement, but "Beautiful Killer" just... isn't. It's a delightfully smooth, solid ride. Catchy, breezy, cheeky, and just a good bit of fun. One of the few tracks that Martin Solveig did that doesn't feel compressed within an inch of its live. You could easily slip this into Music, where it would probably get showered with 10s, but let me not get too salty. It's a great track, and @theelusivechanteuse can stay pressed and stressed about it. Madonna sounds flirty and free as she flirts with both love and danger, but then, that's hardly a surprise considering it's her best setting. It is in fact inspired by an old French film called Le Samouraï, which Martin Solveig explains here:

"We talked a lot about movies; she has a very impressive knowledge of French film from the '60s. It's the story of a killer, a very solitary person; the cinematic of the whole movie is really special. We liked it very much, and talked about that for a little while. On the next day I had a draft of another song called 'Beautiful Killer' referring to that."

At the time of release, people were quick to notice just how nice a fit it would be mashed up with "Die Another Day" and... this was something that Madonna's team also appeared to notice. During her eight minute set at the Olympia in Paris, Madonna justified price of admission being the same as it was for her regular tour by chucking in this bonus mash-up, and it fucking slaps. It was a one-off performance that never materialised anywhere else. I'm guessing it was maybe a part of the MDNA Tour setlist at some point but got cut eventually. My guess would be during the gun-heavy opening act. I think the clips on the screens behind her are from Le Samouraï too, but I could be wrong. Would make sense considering where she was performing it. But yeah, it's a fun routine for a fun song, and Madonna looks stunning swinging her revolver.m4a about in her black flasher coat. Enjoy!

2. I get it’s one of the only MDNA tracks allowed to breathe but I still don’t give a fuck about it. Overdone, trite imagery that doesn’t land. Cute at best. Au revoir.

3. RJF

RJF

Okay but y’all should watch the performance. Mother is glowing and the dance breakdown at the middle-eight is camp.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  4. I stand by that one tibbs. Plodding nothingness.

Mr Blonde likes this.
  5. Don't Start

Also, I listened to Beautiful Killer on my drive into work this morning, and it's pretty good, a solid 8

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Verandi and Lila like this.
  6. That middle 8? CLASSIC MADONNA.

Also, 8 years on, I still have no clue what the last line of the song is. "You're a beautiful killer, but you'll never be...???"

Maki likes this.
  7. Alain Deloin, the actor in the film/s she's singing about.

8. And my first 10 falls. Anyone who doesn’t think that Beautiful Killer should have at least bowed out with an average of 7.5 is...a damn mess.

9. It's nice to learn that Madonna knows about French film from the 60's because I am also a fan. I can confirm that Alain Delon is indeed 'très beau.' I gave the song 7.5.

Andrew.L and Lila like this.
  10. My favourite Madonna song of the 2010s. It really is classic Madonna.

Maki likes this.
  11. Ah, a little gutted at Hold Tight. One of my favourites alongside Iconic, Unapologetic Bitch and Bitch I'm Madonna. My lowest remaining are Mother and Father, Love Spent, Body Shop and of course, the Evita tracks. Even once those have departed, there's still another 14 songs with scores of 5.5, kii.

12. Of course one of the best "MDNA" songs leaves... "Beautiful Killer" is in my top 3 from that album.

13. Exactly. It's the MDNA effect.

It goes when all the low points of the album still exist. The only song left from the album I really love is Masterpiece, I'll never understand what people see in the supposed 'Best Of' choices of the album.

Chezam and Maki like this.
  14. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.894

2015 PLACEMENT: NON-MOVER - 146 of 210 (6.422)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 (@torontodj @Sideout @joeee)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@Euphoria)
    MY SCORE: 5.5/10

15. [​IMG]
    Three 10's from me Hen

dodoriazarbon and cheida like this.
  16. I love The Beat Goes On. Great tour performance.

Maki likes this.
  17. I'm pressed about Beautiful Killer and Bop Goes On (a 9!!), especially after losing Future yesterday.

18. Beat Goes On is cute. Honestly the Madame X tracks should outlasted all of these. Y'all suck.

FridayNight and Future Lover like this.
  19. R27

R27

Can we please go back to eliminating the few remaining bad songs? Thanks.

FridayNight, Zdarlight, Maki and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.