Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 276 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Ddd I remember fans complaining about that hashtag as they assumed the song would actually be about her daughter.

2. Mercy James is an icon

3. Me too, unfortunately

4. RJF

RJF

First half of a tie!

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.058

2015 PLACEMENT: N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 (@Raichu @discoteca @Suburbia @Andy French @joeee @DinahLee @Mr Blonde @Weslicious)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 2 (@Hurricane Drunk @letuinmybackdoor)
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

If "Looking For Mercy" fails for being a little trite, then "Extreme Occident" more than picks up the slack. It was actually our first teaser of Madame X as an album when, after stringing us along for what felt like ages after an Instagram profile picture change, we finally got that infamous teaser video

Madame X is A WHORE a whore
    Madame X is a dancer (I'm a dancer...)

...and so on, and so forth. It played while Madonna did her camp as fuck monologue and modelled about eighteen different wigs and costumes because if you didn't know that Madame X looks like when she's being an equestrian you sure as fuck do now.

The song is basically all about that old saying "not all those who wander are lost" and recognising the importance of the journey, which... is an interesting take for Madonna at this point, who has so many songs about making it through the wilderness and overcoming the odds and maybe not enough about the odds she actually overcame and the wilderness she was out in. She even acknowledges in the song that she's been all over the world and time and space looking for something because she thought she was always meant to find some closure, like her life is a story. But instead it turns out her life is a circle, and she's simply just a restless spirit seeing all it has to offer. She goes round and round *elaborate strings skip and repeat ad nauseam* The morna influences give the track additional pathos, although [obligatory acknowledgement of Madonna butchering another language] but overall it just really works as something introspective yet economical in emotion.

The song was apparently performed during the Madame X Tour, but there's literally no evidence of it happening other than homosexuals saying it happened, and you know homosexuals cannot and should not be trusted. So here's another look at that teaser video that had us hooting, hollering, and hopping way back at the start of last year. How simple life was back then, when we were all spies in the house of love.

5. LTG

LTG

waiT how has I Rise lasted longer than both of these?

6. How the fuck did this not make the top 100? I hate homosexuals.

7. Didn't expect this "Madame X" mini-cull.

Sail On and Maki like this.
  8. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

'Extreme Occident' as a song title actually sounds like something Britney stans would dream up when they're making their fake photoshopped track listings.

9. Both “deluxe” tracks out back to back?? Extreme Occident has become one of my favourites on the album, I wish I gave it a 10.

DominoDancing, Maki and rav4boy like this.
  10. A mini-Madame X cull when Confessions has yet to lose Push or How High? Hm.

11. I'm... appalled at the treatment of Madame X. The lack of taste and flavour on this bus is ASTRONOMICAL

Although I should've seen it coming when the album rankings were posted

12. K94

K94

Catching up only to see Veni Vidi Vici tanked

[​IMG]

13. I adore Extreme Occident. The way that percussion crashes in like a whip when she starts singing in Portuguese... *chefs kiss*

The fact that anything from MDNA has outlasted it is
    upload_2020-7-20_20-30-48.gif

14. I'm sorry but I hate Looking for Mercy. The chorus—from the melody to the lyrics—is one of if not the worst she's ever done and it's just inexcusable.

Mr Blonde likes this.
  15. I CAME

FROM THE MIDWEST

THEN I WENT

TO. THE.
    FAR EAST

Iconic.

16. Extreme Occidental was the absolute low point of the tour and of Madame X so I’m glad to see it gone.

17. Two of my favourite songs "Madame X" leaving one after another, which means that my entire top 3 from that album is now gone.

[​IMG]

M24 likes this.
  18. Looking For Mercy and Extreme Occident should not be out yet... what is happening?

19. RJF

RJF

*AIR HORN*

20. I don't know whether to be excited or scared!

Maki likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.