Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 284 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.112

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN
    29 - 103 of 210 (7.206)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 (@paperboyfriendd @evilsin)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@Up Down Suite)
    MY SCORE: 7/10

The epitome of a 7/10 song, as can be seen by the absolute dearth of extreme scores. "Push" is good, but let's be honest: when you're dealing with Confessions On A Dance Floor, anything that kind of breaks the reverie and takes its foot off the accelerator is going to be punished somewhat, and this pays the price coming off the high-octane drama of "Isaac" and... kind of brings the album to a crashing halt. I mean it's over with by the next track anyway, but it says a lot about a track when the most notable thing about it is the segue into the next one, which is sublime. There's also a very, very light brush with The Police's "Every Breath You Take" according to some websites, but... I don't really buy it (the step you take/move you make lyrics) as being anything other than incidental given they're just natural ways for the lyric to evolve in this instance. Besides, Miss Sting didn't get jack in terms of a writing credit so I'm guessing Stuart Price and M got away without having to acknowledge it as a sample, as well they should.

I... have nothing else to say about this song. It wasn't even used as part of the Confessions Tour setlist and the only demo I can find of it appears to be more or less identical to the song we got in the end. I do remember there being discussions about the fact that either this or "How High" were actually rehearsed for the tour at one point only to get cut, but I can't remember which one it was. So... yeah.​

2. Push is a weird one. I don't think it takes away from the album's cohesiveness, but at the same time nothing else on Confessions sounds like it - the melody is also strange to me, it feels deliberately discordant. When you factor in the strange, percussive, swirling production...yeah, it's just an oddity. It's fine though. This is actually farther than I expected it to go!

3. "Push" shouldn't be eliminated yet according to my scores (not even in the bottom 5 of "Confessions on a Dance Floor"), but it makes sense why it's out at this point.
    I think I slightly overscored it, actually, though that could be because it stands out sonically compared to the majority of the album.

4. RJF

RJF

One more tonight, which I can see being the last for the week looking at my time over the next few days.

5. Nice to see Folklore streams already accounted for!

6. LTG

LTG

Even @Push not giving it a 10. The third betrayal.

7. You know Confessions is wrapping up soon when it gets to Push, I agree that it brings down the pace of the album, it's like when the engine on a ship stops as it drifts towards the dock. It's a quirky number, it almost feels a bit witchy, I like it, but not enough to seek it out.

Andrew.L and relby like this.
  8. How High is the only other song from Confessions that I would tank at this point, the rest remains.. unbothered.

phoenix123, Future Lover and relby like this.
  9. All the transitions on Confessions are expertly done, but I think Isaac into Push may be one of my favorites? When Isaac is winding down with Yitzhak Sinwani's speech and that singular piano note is all that remains, cutting through the atmosphere before Madonna's reversed vocals from Push come gliding in like ghosts of the past and future, ramping up the tension until the song crashes in moments later...whew lord.

10. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I quite like how...sinister sounding Push is, but it could have gone with that idea so much more, instead it ends up being a bit too limp to hold up to the highs on Confessions.

11. Welp, you know me, I do love an odd one out, don't I?

FridayNight, Mr Blonde and Maki like this.
  12. I love the production on Push but now was probably the right time for it to go.

Mr Blonde likes this.
  13. Isn't Push about Guy Ritchie? A limp song ideally suited to... a limp husband.

14. I'm Addicted - 9.5. I don't care, it's my favourite song on the album. The opening synths that play under the verses are brilliant. I love the line 'When did your name change from language to magic?.'

15. Push - 9. I like that it's lower tempo than the songs before, as if the night out is coming to an end. The Tabla instrument also sets it apart. I interpret the lyrics as being my depressive dark shadow self, speaking to my positive inspirational self.

Maki and R27 like this.
  16. I unapologetically think I’m Addicted is the best/only bop worth salvaging from MDNA so frankly it being crowned as such makes me happy. I like the lyrics. Production never bothered me. Cool. Don’t care it’s gone but glad it did relatively well (but not beating out Love Spent...which is produced far worse across the board to my ears but has a couple of gay-baiting flourishes... well, alright).

17. R27

R27

Ouch, a rough string of eliminations for me. Masterpiece and I’m Addicted are my favourite two songs on MDNA. Masterpiece has a lovely melody and is probably M’s best vocal on the album. Admittedly, my 9 for I’m Addicted might have been a tad high, but unlike a lot of the wannabe bops on its parent album, I’m Addicted actually feels alive (unlike the tepid Turn On The Radio) and makes me want to dance (unlike Girl Gone Wild which makes me want to cry/die).

Oh, and Push is a pretty great song to run to.

cheida, Mr Blonde, Zdarlight and 3 others like this.
  18. Masterpiece is far and away my favorite thing from MDNA. Falling Free is so... bland. At least Love Spent has a memorable hook somewhere in it. Speaking of bland, how the hell is Playground still here?!

Push is a cute girl, definitely not the worst on Confessions (Like It Or Not for me, I Love New York for everyone else I guess). It probably would be my second boot, so I guess we got that right.

19. With all the divise songs people had been calling for (Body Shop, American Life, Masterpiece, etc) having just been eliminated, I have no idea what might be coming next.

Maki and evilsin like this.
  20. RJF

RJF

Will we find out?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.