Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 290 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

Wanting...

Needing...

Levitating...

2. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.139

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 17 - 147 of 210 (6.368)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 7 (@Vasilios @dodoriazarbon @Remyky22 @Andrew.L @Andy French @VeryPSB @KingBruno)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@Sideout)
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

Well, depending on who you ask, this is actually the first cut Music has suffered since the rate began. However, I'm afraid several countries that had "American Pie" and "Cyber-Raga" tacked on their regional releases would disagree, so you'll just have to seethe.

Music is... not particularly a favourite Madonna album for me, and I do think this track kind encapsulates that. Yes, of course it has highs, but it also has a lot of... well, this. Kind of meandering, nothingy electronica and insipid lyrics to boot. The entire package is of course glistening, and mother invented ASMR for your nerves, but overall, I just find more of a moodpiece than anything all that solid. I'm actually surprised to see my score for it is as high, because it is definitely one of my least favourite tracks left. I think a lot of points went to when it finally drops the sedate electronic elements and warmth is able to crack its icy production about two thirds of the way in, but even then it never really does anything with that moment except exist in it.

The song was given the live treatment as part of the Drowned World Tour during the... um... Geisha act of the show, a concept which might be more than a little uncomfortable in 2020. Honestly, it's not even that good a performance because the song does not lend itself to a stage show at all and it sits between the absolute set pieces of "Frozen" and "Sky Fits Heaven", the latter of which being one of Madonna's most impressive routines on tour. Uh, so, anyway, enjoy?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. Music isn't one of my favorite albums either, a lot of middling songs (and the highs aren't at the top of her discography to me), including this which also got a 6.5 from me and was probably over-scored too.

4. LTG

LTG

Nooo a lot of other Music tracks should have gone first.

5. Nobody's Perfect is literally perfect. De lack of de taste.

6. rdp

rdp

I think I liked Nobody's Perfect a bit more when I thought the lyrics were "Who I am when I'm with you?" and not "Cool I am (...)". Still a nice atmospheric track though.

AllGagaLike likes this.
  7. This is actually...fine as far as elimination placements go? Higher than I expected honestly, y'all sissies do this song dirty on the regular

8. Let's keep it up with Runaway Lover next, yes?

9. I spent a lot of time lipsyncing to Nobody’s Perfect in my bedroom as a 14 year old.

Maki likes this.
  10. I gave her a 5.5, it was definitely time for it to leave.

11. Maki and Andrew.L like this.
  12. RJF

RJF

Hmm let me investigate.

Maki likes this.
  13. RJF

RJF

You actually gave it a 7/10 but it's only a minor score change thankfully!

aaronhansome, Maki and dodoriazarbon like this.
  14. I love Nobody's Perfect - icy encapsulating electronica at it's best

Vasilios and Maki like this.
  15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Amazing had better be staying for a good while yet - a bop.

16. I have mixed feelings about Amazing. The chorus goes off but overall it's a poor man's Beautiful Stranger. The lyric "you took a pretty picture and smashed it into bits" feels so clunky for some reason as well. She really couldn't come up with a better lyric huh.

Runaway Lover on the other hand better run ha way to the top 75! A stone cold bop.

Womanizer, Maki, K94 and 1 other person like this.
  17. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.173

2015 PLACEMENT: N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 7 (@discoteca @Remyky22 @elear @Andy French @LTG @Verandi @Markus1981)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 2 (@soratami @Hurricane Drunk)
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

...Was I suffering from a brain bleed when I scored this? Because it's a 7.5/10 at least and now I feel bad, mad, and sad.

This is actually the first time in Madame X's tracklisting where the fairly oppressive, dark subject matter and production lets up and it's a delight. Jason Evigan, who assisted on "Ghosttown" and "Inside Out" (and Madame's very own "I Rise") from the previous album returns to lend a hand here, and you can kind of hear a bit of similar DNA across those tracks in how these verses are absolutely packed to the rafters with content and Ma'am X more than rises to the challenge of injecting some life into such verbosities with a vocal performance packed with personality. The way she flies through petulance, pissery, sweetness, coyness, and sometimes downright deranged is such a lovely reminder that she is a professional; she professes, that is her field. You add in those beautiful fado flourishes and it's just such a nice song all the way around that's bursting with character and colour. I remain aghast at my own score for it; stone me, thread.

The song was performed as part of the Madame X Tour. Maybe. Possibly. Potentially.​

18. Definitely the right time for these two to leave.

19. Crazy sounded HEAVENLY when she sang it at the Palladium. That fucking DVD cannot come quickly enough.

Music Is Death, Maki, acl and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.