Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 292 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

*snorts* So?

Mirwais Ahmadzaï likes this.
  2. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.179

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 6 - 122 of 210 (6.877)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 (@funkyg @aux @Remyky22 @relby @fatyoshi @joeee @Crisp X @Mr Blonde)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 (@OSHi)
    MY SCORE: 7/10

And with that, "Love Spent" becomes the last track standing on MDNA. Will it see that the album is represented in the Top 100?

I'm glad that this one was able to improve on its 2015 score along with not suffer too steep a drop either, as it's always been one of my favourite tracks on the album and just in general pretty great. MDNA makes a mess of actually articulating what appears to have been a brutal divorce, but maybe that's simply because there was no other way for it to come out. By the time we reach "Falling Free" at the end of the album, all the anger seems as spent as the love, and it's here we finally get something resembling the Madonna/William Orbit magic that we recognise. The slightly pretentious lyrics with an edge of surrealism, the strings, the release. It's one of the few songs on the album that feels like it has space, and is all the better for it. How we go from starting an album off with something like "Girl Gone Wild" to ending it with something as delicate as that waltz production is nothing short of the power of Madonna. That quivering vocal she gives us on the outro as well just seals a delicate package perfectly. After spending the whole album trying to get in as many parting shots as possible, the final separation ends up being the softest.

"Falling Free" never made it onto the setlist of the MDNA Tour despite reaching the point where they were at least rehearsing it and putting an idea together for it, like so many other performances that end up on the editing room floor in the preparation time for a Madonna tour. However, for a change, we actually have the footage of the full performance in rehearsals. Well, the routine at least. You can even see Madonna over on the left observing, so I'm guessing this is from the stage where they're still brainstorming. I wonder if this would maybe went somewhere around "Like A Virgin" and "Love Spent", and this routine would have happened on the main stage while Madonna was at the end of the triangle. Either way, enjoy!

3. Thoughts and prayers x

4. R27

R27

Crazy should have been Madame X’s second loss so I’m glad to see it finally hit the curb.

Edit: Just saw Falling Free was eliminated. I’m sad to see it go and would have kept it over Love Spent, but I’m not too bothered at this point.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Sleepycat likes this.
  5. Falling Free is gorgeous, even if that ending bit with the artificially-lowered vocal takes the air out of it a little. I wish the real orchestra that was recorded for it hadn't gotten replaced by synth strings

6. We've reached "very good" territory and we're not even at the top 100 yet. Songs are gonna bomb out of the top 20 from a single bad score aren't they? I'm stressed.

7. RJF

RJF

Thinking about how much carnage is in the Top 20 when we've still got loads of agony just to get to the Top 100? Bold.

8. [​IMG]

9. Falling Free is a beautiful little outlier to the majority of MDNA and I'm happy that it at least got the silver medal for the album

10. Falling Free is brilliant. Possibly her best album closer on her worst album, tricking you into thinking you've really enjoyed the last 45 minutes right at the end? Her mind!

11. I wonder if that rehearsal video for Falling Free could have been for a interlude actually.
    Surprised to see Crazy go so early, I was under the impression from the Madame X thread that it's one of the most liked songs.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    joeee likes this.
  12. I remember reading it was originally an interlude for The MDNA Tour and then I thought it was going to be an interlude for the Madame X Tour after she teased it on Instagram again but I guess it got taken out.

13. Darkest day yet for this rate by far. Things are getting ugly indeed, sistren. Queen has more than 100 amazing songs!

theelusivechanteuse, Lila and LTG like this.
  14. Despite allegedly having a cold when she recorded it, Madonna seems genuinely fond of "Falling Free". During her 2015 Ask Me Anything Q&A she said the following:

Question:
    Do you ever wish some songs in your back catalog would have been singles but weren't?

Answer:

*thinks*

Yes, I-I'm, from my last album, one of my favourite songs is "Falling Free".
    I think it's a brilliant song and that would have been cool if it was a single, but it's not conventional enough. Anyway, that's one of them.

*tosses paper*

[​IMG]

15. I was possibly a little harsh with Falling Free.

16. RJF

RJF

The long hair of the second half of the Rebel Heart era really was a look. As was the rat that scuttled across her bathroom floor during this segment.

17. RJF

RJF

Anyway, let's move this along so I can go to bed.

Maki likes this.
  18. RJF

RJF

btyvbyu

Maki likes this.
  19. It was me I'm the bathroom rat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.