Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 295 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. No regrets Hen

Babylon likes this.
  2. Me for that entire batch.

3. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

“White Heat” is one of Madonna’s best 80s tracks and deserves a spot in the top 100.

4. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.239

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 34
    - 92 of 210 (7.343)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 12 (@Andreas @eatyourself @Phonetics Boy @fatyoshi @Sideout @joeee @Jimmyandroid @BEST FICTION @eliminathan @Mvnl @Mr Blonde @Weslicious)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 2 (@theelusivechanteuse @happiestgirl)
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

I guess it's appropriate that my asshole prolapsed when I saw that drop in standings for this, one of the best tracks on Rebel Heart. It's not even that much of a score change, but I guess things are just way more competitive this time around and even the slightest slip in scoring can result in an absolute tumble.

This is great; it's such a weird clash of tones that result in a really dynamic, compelling pop song. On paper it's actually quite tender and sweet in the way it's about bringing someone out of their shell, but everything in practice from production to vocal delivery makes it sound like Madonna is going to slither up your urethra and eat your vital organs and that's... kinda hot tbh. I'm surprised to see it go this early in relation to the rest of Rebel Heart but considering how early y'all booted "Best Night" I guess lockdown-enforced solitude has really let your loins freeze.

"Inside Out" was actually one of the first tracks that we had an inkling about when the rumour mill started up for the new album in early 2014, when photographer Mert Alas (of Madonna-collab-faves Mert & Marcus fame) posted the below picture with the caption, "In my Room, listening the new album !!!! Im DYING !!! LET ME LOVE YOU FROM INSIDE OUT !!!!" which low key sounds like he's trapped in the room and begging to be released. Hilariously, the photo is now captionless, so Madonna must have slapped him hard for revealing such info. Poor it!

"Inside Out" was sadly not performed on the Rebel Heart Tour, which is kind of understandable as if Madonna had tried to perform the majority of the album, it would have been a four hour show. And considering she was typically showing up at 6AM after making audiences wait nine hours, there maybe comes a point where that's just too much of a commitment.​

5. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

'Inside Out' is such a dark, sticky beauty of a track. The way it slithers to the chorus is just perfect. One of my favorites from the album.

6. RJF

RJF

Also, fuck whoever was responsible for what I found on the Rebel Heart Wiki this morning:

[​IMG]

7. R27

R27

One of my least favourites from the album (although my four might have been a bit harsh). I kept forgetting this was still in.

Andrew.L likes this.
  8. It does feel people have been a lot stricter and maybe harsher on their scores when having to judge the whole catalogue against it's self rather than specific eras.
    Let's hope I get through a day without losing another 10.

9. Hate it. I stand by my score.

10. The title-track has overstayed its welcome, shouldn't have beaten that.

Maki, berserkboi, RMK and 3 others like this.
  11. Inside Out is incredible.

12. But... I’m used to you having good taste?...

DJHazey likes this.
  13. RJF

RJF

And @Pop Life can finally breathe!

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.285

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 13 - 112 of 210 (7.025)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 10 (@cheida @Sprockrooster @JMRGBY @DJHazey @Suburbia @Jonathan27 @fatyoshi @joeee @Bleu Noir @clowezra)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 (@Pop Life)
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

My, what a diverse run of tracks we've had recently. Has anyone seen my booty? It was last seen down like. Despite fending off sporadic calls for its head a few times in the thread, "Heartbeat" finally flatlines, albeit with a score increase and a relatively small standing decrease from 2015.

Like I said last night, Madonna singing about how fucking great it is to dance is something of an evergreen topic for her when it comes to music, and that applies here too. If Hard Candy was a deliberate move to perhaps simplify her lyrical inspirations and subjects and return her to her dancefloor origins, this is a song that does better than a lot of the album. Pharrel provides a strangely packed and robust production for his standards rather than something sparser and percussion-driven (which maybe would have made more sense for a song entitled "Heartbeat") but it actually compliments the sweetness of Madonna's vocal take quite well. My issue is similar to the one I had with "Where's The Party" in that

"Heartbeat" was performed during the Sticky & Sweet Tour, relatively close to the start of the show featuring the conveyor belt in the middle of the runway, right after one of the songs that I would much rather listen to than this one. And of course, as mentioned many moons ago, it was mashed up with "Best Friend" for an interlude for the MDNA Tour. Both are posted below for your enjoyment.

14. Poor Heartbeat. It deserved better.

K94, Chezam, cheida and 8 others like this.
  15. Whenever I see someone speak against a Pharrell-produced track, I remember 'Heartbeat' and know anything else is/should be forgiven.

Maki likes this.
  16. [​IMG]

17. RJF

RJF

So, we have No.124 coming up this evening... but when we have a three-way tie at No.121. HOT. Now, do, people want me to just do the next two songs... or will I do a bumper evening and eliminate everything that's tied and take us down to the Top 120 tonight?

18. Not seeing some of Hard Candy's most out-spoken stans on that 10 line. Disgusting.

Sprockrooster and Maki like this.
  19. Aww... "Inside Out" and "Heartbeat" are such little gems of album tracks and could've easily made it to the top 100.

20. @RJF I think you should get it down to a Top 120 today. Then people can discuss it over night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.