Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 297 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.3

2015 PLACEMENT: UP
    8 - 132 of 210 (6.689)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 6 (@fatyoshi @BreatheBox @scottdisick94 @joeee @phoenix123 @TheChoirgirlHotel)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 3 (@Babyface @VeryPSB @KingBruno)
    MY SCORE: 5/10

Another song that has maybe been flying under the radar for a while, but most likely an inevitable casualty of our surge into Top 100. Some of y'all are going to drag me for my score but you know that this kind of saccharine nonsense was never going to fly with me no matter how lovely Madonna sounds on it. Part LSD trip and part children's lullaby, this was somehow a single from Like A Prayer despite there still being options that weren't, you know, this. However, what do I know? It stayed in the Top 5 for three weeks in the UK so it clearly struck a chord.

I will cop to the origin story being adorable though. Patrick Leonard was late to the studio one day because he had to pick up his young daughter, the titular Jessie. He decided to bring her to the studio since he was already running late for Madonna, who was furious at his tardiness (SIS the hypocrisy!) and most likely came close to breathing fire on the diminutive woman that Patrick had the nerve to arrive with, before she realised it was a child. Madonna, in a rare moment of softness, was completely and utterly beguiled by her, to the point that Patrick approached her with a song he had been writing for his daughter, and Madonna agreed to sing it and put it on her upcoming album, the now-iconic Like A Prayer.

[​IMG]

Although I don't think that was their first meeting, at least going by this quote in Q Magazine in 2015 from Patrick Leonard himself. Considering the dates and the fact that he directed the Who's That Girl Tour, this must have happened before the recording of "Dear Jessie" a year later.

Do you have a favorite Madonna memory?

Yes. When we were on tour. We were in London and it was her birthday. There was a private party in a club, and all these people wanted to dance with her and hang out with her, and Jessie, my daughter, was with us on tour at that time. She was right around 2 years old. You can find things in the press that are still out there — Madonna sat her up on the bar and put half a glass of champagne in her, or a couple of sips or whatever it was, and danced with her pretty much all night. Jessie stood in the middle of the dance floor and spun in her dress, and the next day you saw all these things in all these tabloids with all these faces of celebrities who wanted to dance with her, and Jessie was their foil all night. That was really fun to just see her embrace my daughter and have fun like that. It was really, really special. There are a lot of memories. She’s a good girl. Madonna is a good girl.

[​IMG]

Patrick Leonard remains such a class act.

The song only received an animated video, in which Madonna appears as a fairy weirdly styled as her Who's That Girl self despite her being deep into a new era look by that point. I maybe thought it was because the Blond Ambition Tour had started or because she was filming Dick Tracy, but both of those things happened well before and well after, so if anyone knows why, feel free to tell us why! It's suitably trippy for a song about pink elephants and lemonade. And while Madonna herself has never performed it live, Patrick Leonard performed an instrumental of it in 2017 at a concert of his own, where he broke down various Madonna co-writes and spoke a little about them. Cute!

2. You've heard this before, but it's probably the first Madonna song I've ever heard. Still very fond of it, 20-something years later. It's gorge.

3. I can’t explain how much I love this song. It is ridiculously sweet.

4. Take me there.

Like... a... Prayer....

Maki and relby like this.
  5. Dear Jessie into Oh Father.

[​IMG]

6. berserkboi and phoenix123 like this.
  7. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

How did RJF forget her favorite version of the track?

Charli XCX could never.

8. The story behind Dear Jessie is extremely sweet and part of the reason I'll never understand the detractors who hang their dislike of her on how "mean" or "cold" she is. Maybe you're just a dick?

9. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Oh my god it got two videos!

The girls these days can't compete with the budget!

Music Is Death, K94, DJHazey and 9 others like this.
  10. RJF

RJF

I rebuke it.

11. Dear Jessie is so, well, endearing. And the part where it gets a bit trippy and switches up is lovely

12. Rosie O’Donnell’s taste saying it’s her favourite Madonna song.

13. Oof, Heartbeat is a major loss for me. It's just so...icy and brittle, I love the atmosphere it creates of complete abandonment in the midst of a crowded space. That "see my booty get down" refrain has even grown on me, it's ridiculous and campy as hell. Y'all did the song wrong but I also wasn't expecting much of a showing for Hard Candy this time so I suppose it's expected at this stage.

Music Is Death, K94, DJHazey and 6 others like this.
  14. Dear Jessie is very much a 'just there' track.

15. Rollergirl, an icon.

DJHazey and matthew. like this.
  16. Dear Jessie is cute but probably the most inessential track on Like a Prayer.

JMRGBY, RainOnFire and rav4boy like this.
  17. "Dear Jessie" is so cute that I couldn't give it a lower score than an 8.
    I think that title belongs to "Keep It Together", which is still in thanks to its parent album and nothing else.

berserkboi, soratami and Cutlery like this.
  18. Keep It Together is one of Like A Prayer’s finest. Til Death Do Us Part is a lot weaker. I remember hearing the album the first time and thinking it was the first time she’d bored me when it came on.

19. RJF

RJF

I would imagine "Keep It Together" owes more to its role on Blond Ambition and how its used in Truth Or Dare and being amazing rather than simply from being on Like A Prayer.

20. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

"Keep It Together" might be the best performance from Blond Ambition. Its a great track that's only elevated by how fantastically it translates live.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.