Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 298 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

Batter up!

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.309

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 2 - 119 of 210 (6.934)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 16 (@discoteca @Sprockrooster @maverick_79 @rav4boy @torontodj @Modeblock @Daniel_O @Sideout @joeee @Bleu Noir @Epic Chocolat @phoenix123 @Pop Life @wintersleep @Remorque @Mvnl)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 (@theelusivechanteuse)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

And now, an anthem for all the children who have had their playgrounds locked because of the pandemic and children have grubby, grubby, virus-transmitting hands all the time because they're vile. In fact, do children even use playgrounds these days? Don't they just use iPads?

Shep Pettibone takes production duties here as Madonna sings beautifully about retreating to simpler times in your head when times are tough, and I really cannot understate how beautiful her vocal is here, because it is, but I'm sorry... this is mostly just a very pretty snooze of a track. I zone out around the three minute mark each time. I'm sure many of you are going to respond that I'm simply a philistine for not being stunned by its beauty, but yeah, Madonna has a trove of incredible ballads. This, despite it's perfectly executed lyrical conceit, simply isn't one of them to me. However, it would appear I'm in the minority, because the song was a smash. Recorded in aid of promoting A League Of Their Own, a film that all metrics appear to tell me is A Good Madonna Film, it was done fresh off the Erotica sessions and went from conception to completion in a fairly remarkable two days. She really had such a great rapport with Shep and Patrick back in the day; the rate at which they spat out amazing material together is incredible. But yes, it was Madonna's tenth No.1 on the Hot 100, and peaked stupidly high in several other territories as well.

The song, despite being huge, has never found its way onto a single Madonna setlist. I could have sworn it made some kind of appearance during Tears Of A Clown for some reason or maybe even the acoustic section of the Rebel Heart Tour where she picked hits at random to perform, but alas, no. It does have a suitably maudlin video though, along with, somehow, an even longer version if you haven't lost enough of your life to it already. Enjoy?

2. Madonna's vocal crack on that final "wishing you were here with me" leaves me in an absolute wreck every time I hear it.

3. Dear Jessie is a sweet song.

Maki and Future Lover like this.
  4. While it's not my favourite (but I don't think it was ever supposed to be anyone's favourite), I think that Dear Jessie is essential to Like a Prayer. It's the bridge between the joyful Cherish, where Madonna seems to believe she can be a hopeful and innocent woman again, and the heartbreaking Oh Father, where she realizes that she has to deal with the trauma of her youth before she can be in a healthy relationship. In between is Dear Jessie, where she's encouraging a little girl to find a better place, inside her heart and through her dreams...

5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Playground struck a chord with me when I quit working at the bar where I'd loved working for years, cried, laughed, loved and all that. Ever since it became a favourite it never had been before

6. I know it’s predictable, but this song being released in the summer of 92 literally reminds me of the summer holidays with my family as a kid, so yes, that “dreary” song that “drags on longer than it should” means a lot to my 6 year old self, and it takes me straight back to summer 1992 whenever I hear it.

A couple of fun fact, apparently Shep had zero experience producing strings before, so this was a new experience for him.
    Also, apparently Madonna recorded the vocals the same day she recorded the vocals for Rain.
    Correct me if I’m wrong.

Filippa, evilsin, Maki and 2 others like this.
  7. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This probably happens all the time with albums, but the thought of recording multiple future hits in one day blows my mind

8. Inessential?
    It's literally the yin to Oh Father's yang.
    It's maybe the only Madge song that reminds me of Christmas time, when it was released in the UK, and I was a wee one.

9. I adore Playground, it sounds like a Carpenters song and single handedly turned me into the sad gay that I am today.

10. I can't believe Playground is out!! It's a classic.

Great song, great movie.

And I love how this song showed Madonna in a very sombre, introspective manner for the summer of '92, and yet she kept us full of surprises, especially what was brewing for the fall season.

The public: "Oh, Madonna, I didn't expect you to be so classy and introspective."

Response by Madonna: "My name is Dita. I'll be your mistress tonight."

11. Dear Jessie on Like A Prayer is the very definition of:

upload_2020-7-28_21-37-55.gif

gagapourgaga, FridayNight and R27 like this.
  12. It blows my mind too. 2 completely different hair styles / images but vocals from the same day?
    upload_2020-7-28_21-37-6.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-28_21-38-4.jpeg

13. Playground was the second single of hers I was 'oh?' at, the first being 'The look of love' but you could overlook that as it was third single and literally 'we need a new single out as we know there's nothing for a while'. But this was a brand new song, the first since 'Immaculate' and it was just...there. The full length version goes on forever.

14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Different albums too and I can't even imagine Playground being on Erotica.
    But yeah as someone who only knew Madonna from music videos at the time these feel like completely different eras

AshtrayHeart likes this.
  15. Dear Jessie is definitely a highlight for me and like yourself, this song is pure child hood nostalgia to me. Like, if you were a kid in the UK in December 89 then this was like a gift from the Queen. The reason I bought Like a Prayer album.
    Uh, I fear for this song in the rate right now.

Andrew.L and Mvnl like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

What is 'this song'.. cause Jessie just left?

Womanizer, Maki and Andrew.L like this.
  17. Erm... so I skipped a page! I’ll see myself out ddd
    upload_2020-7-28_21-54-33.gif

Maki and Mvnl like this.
  18. Oooooffffff Dear Jessie and Playground.... two of my tens, classic hit singles going already and shit like Amazing is still in?

I could listen to the strings in Dear Jessie for hours..... before they segue into Oh Father of course.

Phonetics Girl, AshtrayHeart and Mvnl like this.
  19. Considering what happened with Into the Groove, Live to Tell, American Pie, Die Another Day and Masterpiece... Playground should logically have been chucked on to Erotica whether it belonged there or not. Thank goodness that never happened.

Cutlery and Mvnl like this.
  20. If there’s ever a proper deluxe Erotica box set, I reckon it’ll get tagged on disc 2 with Justify My Love, Rescue Me and Goodbye to Innocence. Maybe even Vogue?

Andreas likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.