Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 302 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

LAYYDEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.315

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 3 - 123 of 210 (6.863)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 12 (@eatyourself @Andrew.L @Jonathan27 @Andy French @Up Down Suite @DinahLee @Lila @wintersleep @Trinu 3.0 @ufint @happiestgirl @Music Is Life)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2.5 x 2 (@theelusivechanteuse @ABoy’sGot2Suffer4Fashion)
    MY SCORE: 4/10

I just don't like this.

Listening back to it now so I can do the write up and maybe my score is harsh, but I also don't think this is that much of a loss at this point in the rate. It's just terminally basic. The mere idea of Madonna confronting another female trying to make the moves on her man is a strange thing to get your head around in the first place (because honestly, who the fuck would dare?), but it comes to life here in such reductive manner that it's hard to actually feel like the song is real. The production is typical of Pharrell's fairly anaemic disco across the album in that it's pleasant but non-descript, and then it ends rather neatly... only to have an utterly pointless two minute outro that's just a dub of everything you've just heard over the last four minutes. Madonna being jealous and maybe even a little threatened by another person is a great concept for a song, but nothing that happens here does it justice. Boot!

That said, the song got a pretty solid performance during the Sticky & Sweet Tour, where Madonna sees off numerous pretenders dressed in some of her most iconic looks over the years before freestyling like a maniac during a blissfully truncated outro. It was also interpolated into the end of MDNA Tour performance of "Express Yourself" and, ahem, "Born This Way", just in case said mash up wasn't explicitly shady enough. Although Gagger should feel kind of honoured; she clearly had Madonna, like, 4% rattled. Which is 4% more than anyone else has ever managed. Enjoy both performances below!

2. She's Not Me is THAT screechy petty bop. Perhapst it was too ahead of its time for some

3. I always loved how this song painted a picture, it has an interesting campness to it, in my opinion. And the strings in it are gorgeous.

Maki, cheida and stuaw like this.
  4. LTG

LTG

bUT she Don't HAVE What's OURS!
    followed by smoothed studio vocals.

[​IMG]

5. RJF

RJF

As she rubs her even smoother glute in the audience's face.

6. There is no way that She’s Not Me should have stayed this long, over Candy Shop.

Jwentz and Syzygyz like this.
  7. Her cawing at the audience during about 80% of Sticky & Sweet is legendaric. We stan a witch.

fUCk ThE RAaAAAaaiN!

8. I really like She's Not Me but staying longer than Physical Attraction? Why's It So Hard? This Used to Be My Playground? Really?

[​IMG]

9. yAoU CAN’T TOUCH THIS MUTHAFUCKEEERRRRZZZZZZZ

10. RJF

RJF

In fact I'll just do the rest of the eliminations later on tonight. I hate rushing.

11. I actually really like She's Not Me—I gave it an 8—but it is over six minutes long. There is just no excuse for that.

12. LTG

LTG

Would you prefer it if Time... Stood Still?

Andy French likes this.
  13. Drop 4 Minutes at this point even though I threw it a 8 as well and that Hard Candy trinity should remain great as it cruises into the Top 50 but that won't happen of course.

Maki and MilesAngel like this.
  14. I see you've decided to get rid of all of my 9's and 9.5's before we even reach the top 100...

"She's Not Me" is an excellent album track and easily among the highlights from "Hard Candy".
    I don't care that it's six minutes long, either - it's a total bop.

Music Is Death, DinahLee and soratami like this.
  15. The last two minutes of She's Not Me are actually the best part. The same can be said about a few other Hard Candy songs too actually.

16. Poor Frozen.

Music Is Death and Maki like this.
  17. Yeah She's Not Me works for me because it's six minutes long. The "I know I can do it better" paired with the whistles before it transitions into that second part is one of the best moments on the album.

18. Like @Andy French (I think) said before, I love how the thing goes off the rails in the last two minutes. Indulgent? Yes. Do I bop? Also yes.

Music Is Death, Jwentz, Maki and 3 others like this.
  19. Wendy Melvoin’s guitar on She’s Not Me and both Madonna & Pharell actually calling out her name in tandem right before the final 2 minutes are one of my favourite moments on the whole album. Just like the song in general.

20. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I feel like we all kind of knew Why's It So Hard would be the first song eliminated from Erotica, but it still sucks to see it happen. It's one of my favourites.

I adore Physical Attraction too - it was actually my highest-rated song on the debut album, I find myself going back to it even more than the singles nowadays.

Maki and torontodj like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.