Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 313 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I can't speak about Portugal but the original song was never a hit here in Brazil. People particularly eat Madonna up down here - I remember the Superstar elimination part about the song being a single here just because it randomly became a favorite with the public (which I will never understand) - and Faz Gostoso is precisely what we all seek: a big name (in this case, the biggest) dancing to our music, collabing with our artists and literally singing in our mother tongue. Like, Shakira is probably the biggest international name in the country since forever, and even though she has released a Brazilian Portuguese version of most of her early singles, there was never that crossover element that everybody loves. You'll see every Brazilian adding Faz Gostoso to their party playlists and no one bats a lash when it comes on, which unfortunately can't be said about Medellín.
    About the language butchering, her accent definitely is weird and at times lowkey comic, but I think we have a lot more tolerance for that down here. It's just another reason for people to boast "it's because our language is the hardest in the world to learn!!" as if that was even a graspable concept. A lot worse than her accent is in fact the pseudo-samba bit before the last chorus. They went for some sort of 50's retro moment of whatever with that, and it sounds so out of place in the middle of a Funk track.

I'd like to finish my post with a brief moment of iconicness where Madame X discusses international politics and Latin American music with our former in no way less iconic president Dilma Roussef in the middle of a carnival parade in Rio. Cheers!

[​IMG]

2. RJF

RJF

Just one kiss, just one touch...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.427

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 5 - 106 of 210 (7.171)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 (@dodoriazarbon @Euphoria @tylerc904 @BreatheBox @joeee @wintersleep @nametag @Maki)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@matthew.)
    MY SCORE: 7/10

[​IMG]

A knee widener. You just know from the second you hear those noghty ;) horns that you're most likely going to be in for a good time. I mean, it's a tale as old as time: people love things that feel a lil... taboo, against the grain, not of the norm. Madonna, who has proudly championed people who found themselves being accused of living as such, naturally identifies with such a philosophy, so a song about a love that really shouldn't happen but you want it too is a logical step to take. The sultry production just seals the deal. It also popped up on Something To Remember a year later, because Lord knows that needed a bit of excitement.

Is there really even much to say about this? It's a proficient slow jam; Bedtime Stories is an album full of surprising marquee songs that, despite the more subdued vibe, still make a pretty big dent, whereas this kind of simmers along. As a song, it's all the better for it, but in a contest of standing out in Madonna's discography, it maybe doesn't do the business. Which is fine. I think this is an appropriate place for it to fall. Although I will shout out Babyface's backing vocals, which are legitimately spine-tingling. Yass.

The right "Forbidden Love" won tbh.​

3. M pestering Anitta to do a video with her for Faz Gostoso multiple times last year and Anitta basically paying her dust was a bit of a scream. It do take nerve to blow off the queen!

4. Upsetting. Both Forbidden Loves are 10/10 in my book - this is one of my favorite Madonna songs, period. The ~entanglement~ of vocals in the chorus, Babyface's whispers in the verses, that smooth groove, the classic Madonna spoken word moment with one of my favorite quotes: "Rejection... is the greatest aphrodisiac."

An underrated gem in her discography.

5. The Confessions Forbidden Love is one of her best songs and will be Top 30 in a perfect world.

sfmartin, cheida and Sprockrooster like this.
  6. Here in Portugal, Madge's version of Faz Gostoso was a quick lil' controversy and everyone mocked her for it – but Madame X was still number one for weeks, so whatever. I honestly think that samba breakdown nearly elevates the original (which is a classic).

evilsin and soratami like this.
  7. For a second I thought it was the Confessions Forbidden Love and died a little inside, to then realise it was the Bedtime Stories Forbidden Love and I was fine again.

DJHazey, sfmartin, Lila and 1 other person like this.
  8. 2014

2014 Staff Member

It's always a thing that slightly amuses me when artists have more than 1 song with the same title. The Confessions one is so much better, but this is cute enough I guess.

Lila, Sprockrooster and soratami like this.
  9. A lot of the Portuguese lyrics are actually different between the original and Madonna versions of Faz Gostoso.

E o pior que ele é safado e ainda por cima é carinhoso
    Eu não nego, ele é safado e ainda por cima é carinhoso

Ele faz tão gostoso, ele faz tão gostoso

Por isso que ele não se casa, e na minha casa é perigoso
    Ele não quer compromisso e na minha casa é perigoso

Porque ele faz tão gostoso, ele faz tão gostoso

Ele sabe que eu sou casada e até amo meu esposo
    Ele sabe que eu sou casada e ainda amo o meu amor

Mas ele faz tão gostoso, ele faz tão gostoso

Passei a vida a te teimar, e acabei com esse teimoso
    Eu me sinto no poder, mas esse cara é perigoso (vai, vai)

Ele faz tão gostoso (vai), ele faz tão gostoso

The content is basically the same between the two, but the original has a more lighthearted and slightly humorous vibe and in Madonna's version the lyrics are a bit more basic and straightforward. The weirdest change is going from "esposo" (husband) to "amor" (love), since "esposo" rhymes with "gostoso", etc while "amor" obviously doesn't, and "amo o meu amor" means "I love my love" which is a pretty awkward line.

10. I am starting to feel I should have given Forbidden Love '94 a 10. I love this track more and more with each year.

I remember reading an article where the interviewer quoted lyrics from the song and, if I'm not mistaken, I believe he said "Power... is the greatest aphrodisiac" and Madonna fully ADMONISHED him and corrected him with the proper lyrics. Queen.

I wish I could find the interview.

11. I only started really stanning Forbidden Love in summer 1997, for some reason it took 3 years.... The whole album really is a summer bop for me. I discovered this in summer 1995 (I think it should have been released a bit earlier in 94). I know it’s supposed to be all chill and bedtime-y but it also sounds good in 40 degree heat.

Maki and torontodj like this.
  12. I can totally understand why Madonna wanted to work with Babyface again after giving birth to Lourdes and working on what was eventually Ray of Light. Obviously the huge success of Take a Bow was a huge factor, but she and Babyface really worked well together. And they sounded great together too.

Forbidden Love has such a lush, vibrant sound to it - like the entire album.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  13. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.452

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 41!!!
    - 151 of 210 (6.291)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 9 (@eatyourself @sfmartin @relby @scottdisick94 @joeee @DinahLee @Pop Life @TheChoirgirlHotel @FrozenNight)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@Markus1981)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

When people think of Ray Of Light, is this song really one of the tracks that instantly spring to mind? It's not really for me; I always forget about it when I start my playthroughs until those gloopy guitars kick in. I can't be the only one who has ever got Garbage teas from this track? They definitely were defined by the Drowned World Tour performance, in which Madonna seems to really be feeling her Shirley Manson fantasy. But yes, it's fine, just not all that notable in the grand scheme of things. Still, it's up over FORTY PLACES, so it's not a bad outing.

It also turns out it's a... borderline theft dd. Susannah Melvoin, who came up in the thread quite recently is a co-writer of the track. Her family tree is so star studded and convoluted that I'm just going to copy and paste from Rolling Stone: daughter of top L.A. session musician Mike Melvoin, brother to late Smashing Pumpkins touring keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin, twin sister to Prince and the Revolution’s Wendy Melvoin, and former fiancée to Prince. She’s no slouch herself: As member of the Family, a splinter group of the Time, she co-sang the original version of “Nothing Compares 2 U” and co-wrote one of Prince’s sweetest songs, Sign o’ the Times’ “Starfish and Coffee. Okay, work.

"Candy Perfume Girl" was the result of sessions between her and William Orbit. It was originally written about Susannah's brother, who had succumbed to a heroin addiction around the time of writing, which... makes a lot of sense when you listen to the song, which is essentially all about being devoured by this... essence. She got the call that Orbit had offered the queen her track on the condition that M would take a third of publishing (nn savvy mum) and she relented, because if you're a songwriter and you hear that your new track is going on the new Madonna album in 1998, back when people still bought albums and writing on a hit album meant you could eat for a year, that's what you do. She also apparently had a major hand in "Swim", but is uncredited.

"Candy Perfume Girl" was performed on exactly one tour, that was on Drowned World Tour, the mash up of both Ray Of Light and Music eras, because Madonna had had two back-to-back albums so successful that she could ignore literally everything else in her back catalogue for the setlist and still manage to fill it halfway with hits. Her power. Here she is performing it in her ugliest tour outfit ever! Shout out to her guitar strap!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  14. The Drowned World Tour's Butch Scottish Rock Mom (Who Is Also Maybe A Cowgirl?) look is still iconically ugly.

[​IMG]

Wig.

15. Another bummer, but it's probably out at an appropriate time.

This was always one of my favorites around the time the album was released. I was 7 when Ray of Light was released, and it was one of my top played albums for the following couple of years. Grown up now, I understand why it's not seen as one of the best songs on the album, but I've always enjoyed it.

16. Since we recently mentioned Babyface, can we take a moment to really appreciate this gem?

Music Is Death, Andy French and Maki like this.
  17. [​IMG]

Cancel the rate.
    "Forbidden Love" (1994) is in my top 10 Madonna songs. By far one of the best discoveries and my second 10 to get eliminated in this rate. An absolute stunner.
    To see it entirely miss the top 100 is a travesty.

18. LTG

LTG

@RJF I gave Candy Perfume Girl an 8.5, not 10.

Maki and djmakemewet like this.
  19. LTG

LTG

The sexy whispered “don’t go near the fire...” really elevates Forbidden Love (1994) for me.

Maki likes this.
  20. These ARE in her Top 100 songs ever so I’m gonna need this rate to course correct real soon.

Maki likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.