Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 317 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Rating Love Tried To Welcome Me below like...an 8.5 should be classified as a hate crime. What is wrong with some of you

2. Ya'll really kept Mother and Father over Love Tried To Welcome Me + Forbidden Love? The American Pro-Lifers really highjacked this rate, huh.
    [​IMG]

3. I-
    [​IMG]

4. Erotica should have at least title track, Deeper and Deeper, Where Life Begins, Bad Girl, Waiting, Thief of Hearts, Rain and Secret Garden in the top 50.

But will there be room at the Inn?

Chezam likes this.
  5. I didn't realize Celebration was still here.

It is time.

6. I stan her Drowned World looks. Unexpectedly ugly and she kinda nailed it, unlike Sticky and Sweet.

K94, nikkysan and Andy French like this.
  7. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.464

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 45
    - 153 of 210 (6.279)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 7 (@eatyourself @soratami @scottdisick94 @Xanax @Pop Life @evilsin @sexercise)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3.5 x 2 (@acl @Markus1981)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

Well, who would have thought that this could go so far? Looks like this is the threshold for covers, because "Fever" is out after leaping a whopping forty five places in the overall standings and a huge +1.2 point increase. What on earth caused such a surge? I honestly have no idea. Overall Erotica stannage perhaps? It maybe went a little too far, but it's hard to resent anything to do with such a flawless classic.

I don't really have much to say that we haven't already covered back when "Goodbye To Innocence" was eliminated. This being recorded was essentially an accident while Madonna was trying to figure out the way to make the former song work, and she just... started riffing the lyrics to "Fever" and had the rights to cover it by that very afternoon. It's a great rendition, if you ask me, a Madonna stan who is entirely impartial. Madonna's cool performance just nails that crackle of anticipation of something that is... a sure thing. It's like easy conversation over cocktails when both parties are fully aware they'll be banging within the hour. It's just pure certainty, but then Madonna has never been one to operate on ifs and maybes, has she?

Another thing to note is the wealth of different artwork the different mediums and regional releases had, and they're all kind of a serve. Pretty sure the main cover that is at the top of the elimination is a shot of her from Body of Evidence? Either way, there are a few serves here, which I have collected in a cute banner for your viewing pleasure. I didn't know the iconic "Bad Girl" shot also got an outing for this single too.

[​IMG]

"Fever" has had some great outings. There is of course The Girlie Show treatment as part of the show's opening act, but there is also her incredible SNL performance (the ONLY time she's actually performed?!?!?! MADNESS.) that sometimes gets overshadowed by the other song she did that night. There is also her performance on the Arsenio Hall Show, which is just star power star power star power. You cannot tell me that she is anything other than the most powerful creature in the universe in that tantalising opening minute. The video is also a visual feast, and boasts a slightly warmer mix of the song compared to the headboard rattling album version. Bit of a tragic wig though. Enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  8. I stan the look she had for the Barcelona shows of the Drowned World Tour. That hair was just a lot better.

Andrew.L likes this.
  9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

oh..........wow.

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, Crisp X, K94 and 10 others like this.
  10. I actually love the hair on her in that Arsenio performance but it looked so busted in motion for some reason. I'm like 98% sure that it happened the same day as the iconic Herb Ritts shoot for The Girlie Show tourbook and some editions of Rain's single:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I think that third single cover might be fanmade?

Music Is Death, K94, Sail On and 15 others like this.
  11. RJF

RJF

Kicking these hoes out tonight.

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.47

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 19
    - 88 of 210 (7.49)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 5 (@MilesAngel @unnameable @RetroPhysical @joeee @Crisp X)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@Chezam)
    MY SCORE: 7/10

It feels like we're clearing house a little with these eliminations tonight. "How High" remains more or less static in terms of score performance in 2015, but an overall higher average score means that staying the same isn't going to cut it.

This is good. I enjoy it as part of Confessions, but then I also then end up glancing towards the credits and think that there should have been so much more. Madonna, Stuart Price, and Bloodshy & Avant all had a hand in making this track, and this is what it ends up sounding like? I'm a little whelmed, readers, I won't lie. It also seems to have been another refugee from the abandoned Hello Suckers musical, which helped to filled a fair few amount of gaps in Madonna's albums in the 00s. I think this is also the reason "I Love New York" was already floating around at the time of the Re-Invention Tour as well. It makes more sense when you realise it was meant to be part of a musical; how plainly auto-biographical and obvious it is without any kind of twist or shock. There are a whole host of demos, both half-finished and near-finished, that leaked a few years back if anyone's interested in the rest. Still though, hearing Madonna ponder if she should carry on doing what she does on a song that is now fifteen years and four albums away is always a nice little moment. She had been going for longer than most even back then. Now, she's a straight up pioneer.

Anyway, here are a few demos of "How High" for anyone that's curious. Hearing these... you can see how much work there was to do in terms of production, so maybe I should be kinder to the version we got. The way the atmosphere is sucked out at the chorus in the first one, I-

12. RJF

RJF

It appears to be a promo, which maybe explains why it looks busted as all hell.

13. How High is one of her most Album Track-iest album tracks, but it's fine (I feel like there was a rumor at some point in 2006 that it was going to be a single but I can't remember). The back-to-back self-referencing with "Nobody's perfect / I guess I deserve it", intentional or not, is neat (#Justice4Music) and "it's funny how everybody mentions my name / they're never very nice" has only gotten more...accurate...as time has passed.

Also bonus points for what I'm pretty sure is the first recorded appearance of her now-infamous Crow Voice. I DyADEyTTT!

14. Lila

Lila Staff Member

It’s iconic that Peggy Lee stanned Madonna’s version of Fever. I can’t find any source online but in Encyclopedia Madonnica I remember her saying she liked mum’s “disco” interpretation.

15. RMK

RMK

I really like How High, existential bops aren't something you find every day. I would've maybe bolstered it up one or two spots within the album, but the placement is understandable.

acl, Maki and MilesAngel like this.
  16. The way she sings „I did it“ in How High is certainly...interesting but it‘s not a crow voice. (checks Sticky & Sweet Tour) Nope, crow voice sounds different.

17. RJF

RJF

Sticky & Sweet is her witch voice, not her crow voice.

18. Aw I love How High. It might be 85% due exclusively for the strings though

Music Is Death, Crisp X, Maki and 3 others like this.
  19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

How High feels very album tracky to me but because the whole album is mixed it feels like it has its function in a way some album tracks don't?

20. What the hell is a Madonna witch voice? I don’t know her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.