Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 321 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.515

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 10
    - 95 of 210 (7.304)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 4 (@matthew. @Andrew.L @BreatheBox @scottdisick94)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@unnameable)
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Oof, now this is how you send someone packing. Acting as the sixth and final single from Erotica, "Bye Bye Baby" never received a video as Madonna was deep into The Girlie Show tour dates by then, but let's also dwell on that for a moment. The sixth single for an album that caused a backlash so severe even Madonna herself thought that her career was over at certain points. SIX SINGLES from a career-rocking relative bomb. Some of these girls can barely get a second single out during successful campaigns without giving up! Who ELSE was giving it to you like this?

"Bye Bye Baby" is just... so slick. The treatment Madonna's voice gets so that it sounds like she's simply picked up the phone to tell this guy to go fuck himself - and not even turned up in person - is just such a great, fun detail in a song already amazingly produced. Shep Pettibone once again making what sounds like empty bottles rolling around an alleyway SLAP. I also like that it can read to be about S&M as well, although I think that's a reach when the reality is that it's just a swaggering kiss-off to a deadbeat. It also samples LL Cool J's "Jingling Baby", although ironically it's not that bit where the production actually jingles.

The Girlie Show performance is where things get interesting though. The genderbendery of it all. Madonna and her backing singers dressed in traditionally masculine tuxedos as they objectify the flapper-girl-style dancers while performing this track is not only a bit hot, but also a great commentary on double standards and misogyny in general. It's also really, really fucking gay, but that should be expected at this point. As it never got a video, I'm afraid we have to make do with the performance from The Girlie Show, and the 1993 VMAs. And yes, they had the VMAs back then.

2. You can forget about it baby... Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye

M24, unnameable and Maki like this.
  3. What the Fuck...

You horrors, this is a masterpiece.

4. RJF

RJF

I would recommend looking more into the inspiration behind the performance treatment for “Bye Bye Baby” which is wonderfully layered. I would have included it in the write up but it started to read like the copy/paste job it would have been nn.

Music Is Death, acl, funkyg and 12 others like this.
  5. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

You monsters did Bye Bye Baby so wrong.

6. RJF

RJF

One more elimination before I go out for dinner. It’s... a painful one.

7. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Its Celebration isn’t it.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  8. I thought the same thing... this doesn't bode well.

9. I’m going to snap at anyone who gave Living For Love a 10 and let it get this far.

10. I'm fine as long as my lowest scores from "Erotica" are leaving.
    Bye to "Bye Bye Baby"!

unnameable likes this.
  11. This recent Erotica cull is breaking my substitute for a heart.

12. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.542

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 33 - 136 of 210 (6.595)

11 x 1
    @fancygreen

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 19 (@funkyg @dodoriazarbon @Dangerous Maknae @Sprockrooster @Suburbia @Babyface @Phonetics Boy @dylanaber @Ana Raquel @fatyoshi @godspeed @1991 @Sail On @aaronhansome @Crisp X @Sleepycat @Music Is Life @Touchofmyhand)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 2 (@letuinmybackdoor @Markus1981)
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Sometimes people put it into better words than I can.

"It's funny, I suppose in a cosmic sense. A song I initially thought of being a bit melodramatic, suddenly turning relatable as a symbol that that your initial dismissal might have been less about "try hardedness" and more about one's difficulty facing their own memories. There's also a lot to be said about coming into one's own. Maybe I was the one with the pretense all along.

"In This Life" is, like many Madonna ballads, a triumph. Part of me thought my 11 would go to "Bad Girl" or "Live to Tell" or "Frozen" or.. -- but at the risk of oversharing to a platform that already knows too much... revisiting this song just devastated me, as I've lost a lot of people in my time. I hadn't recognized that my time of scoring, that I was forgetting the anniversary of one of my best friend's passing. I'm not one to attempt to martyr myself. In fact, I run the risk of over-intellectualizing to counter the hurt. But there was something in the air that made me reflect back on not just that one friend, but many others that perhaps, despite my brain finding acceptance, that my spirit still had business to attend. With this gift of reflection in mind, I felt it would disrespectful to not try to help give the song its due.

Madonna, for all accusations that she is aloof, mannered or buttoned up, wrote this song with great risk to herself personally and professionally. I admire and am in awe of her openness and courage. And yet, I could argue that I find camaraderie in her intellectualizing the existentialism.

This song finds her lingering in mundane settings of park benches and traffic, and without distraction or defence, she flooded with simple but overwhelming memories of the mere existence of lost friends. Obviously the context here is that the song comes out of the AIDS crisis, and how "ignorance is not bliss"; that denying, destigmatizing, and dealing with a condition, can cause greater harm on physical, interpersonal, and societal levels.

And this isn't to diminish the obvious weight of the intended subject matter, but the brilliance of Madonna is that even with specific narratives, she's more often than not able to still find universality. Death is painful, but we will all experience it one way or another. There are many stigmas attached to death at large, and an uncomfortable topic people put off in general. Adding back in the stigma of the AIDS crisis, the feeling of lives being othered due to fear, propaganda, misunderstanding, homophobic and racist epithets normalized in culture... honestly, it's no wonder that Madonna's near-defeated rhetorical pondering of, "In this life I loved you most of all - what for?" swallows both her and the listener whole. I feel for her, for the duality of her admonishing herself for being vulnerable, in a song where all wounds are open. Her rage and her sadness are seething and crying over a bed of a looped hypnotic augmenting progression that seldom return back to the I chord. In music theory, the I chord is considered home, and by being denied much resolution musically, she is painting a backdrop that also augments her distress.

There's something to be said about the nature of singing. That we sing because speaking isn't enough. But to flip that on its head as Madonna does at the end with her monologue, she gains so much power. It's at this moment, she strips the passiveness from the listener, asking point blank if you've "ever watched your best friend die." (Which was, of course, the moment I fell apart.) She then deftly swoops back into singing on a plea for ending suffering. End the suffering of those who have been ostracized for being ill. End the suffering of those misunderstood, unappreciated, unloved. End the suffering of dying without dignity.

She hopes it's in this life. Nearly thirty years on from the song's initial release, I hope the same."

- @fancygreen

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  13. I love Bye Bye Baby more now than I did say 20 years ago, I recall VH1 and MTV would use the VMA performance whenever doing a singles discography run.

Andrew.L likes this.
  14. Literally fuck all of you.

Except @djmakemewet, you can stay.

15. In This Life? Is this... a joke?

This forum thinks True fucking Blue is better than one of her greatest masterpieces?

This forum thinks there are MDNA and Hard Candy songs that are better?

I thought this was going top 20 and it's not even top 100?

I want to see scores.

16. I love the VMA performance of Bye Bye Baby. Madonna was shamelessly lip-synching - at one point she forgets to return to the mic to her mouth before the vocals kick in. But that messiness just adds to the fun performance.

Brilliant write-up, @fancygreen.

The Girlie Show performance of In This Life remains one of Madonna's most powerful performances. The whole '70s disco party smashed by AIDS is still one of Madonna's most incredible tour sections.

When I saw the show in Toronto, I was captivated by how warm and genuine Madonna as on stage. I remember someone shouted "I love you" and instead of a snarky reply, Madonna replied, "I love you too".

And the wonders of Youtube is that sometimes your memories are not a fuzzy dream but, indeed, just how you remembered them (approx 1:10 in this video).

Music Is Death, Crisp X, acl and 12 others like this.
  17. JESUS can Erotica stop hemorrhaging?

18. Well I didn’t expect this to go before even the top 50, and certainly didn’t expect to feel this moved by a singular elimination today.

19. R27

R27

Was not expecting an Erotica culling. Wasn’t hoping for one either.

Aester and evilsin like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.