Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 329 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Mer Girl and Has To Be are two sides of the same coin. The former is a dark night of the soul, full of uncomfortable introspection, pain, sadness, anger, and regret, while the latter is the morning after, the calm after the storm; the tears start to dry, the clouds begin to part, and the journey to healing begins.

I realize that she wanted thirteen songs on the album for spiritual/numerology reasons, but given how amazingly the two of them work together I really wish she'd just included Has To Be on all editions of Ray of Light.

2. Lila

Lila Staff Member

If anyone dares I’m throwing HANDS.

3. I'll take these out of your spoiler for everyone to see, because... sis, what the actual fuck?

4. Some things should stay hidden.

5. Some of these requests for cuts...

[​IMG]

Chezam likes this.
  6. The fact that Celebration is still here and some of you are calling for Mer Girl and Intervention to leave...

Music Is Death, Chezam, acl and 5 others like this.
  7. Oof, I forgot to add "Celebration" to that controversial list, so let me edit that. Certainly among my least favourites out of the remaining songs.
    These all lean onto the more boring side and don't resonate melodically with me. I was shocked myself to not be that keen on those two "Music" singles. Not bad songs by any means, though, just something that I don't care for, especially in such a broad and strong discography.

What I see as criminally wrong is "To Have and Not to Hold" being called multiple times.

8. M24

M24

I'm super late, but don't worry, I understand! I've only participated in very few rates, and I already know what that being frustrated with the results feels like haha.

And yeah, I absolutely understand the reasons you and so many others love those particular songs! I just wanted to offer an alternative viewpoint, that's all.

For what it's worth, I do feel like I could've been more generous with In This Life, and even if right now I come to Madonna for all the motives I detailed, I have no way to tell if my relation to Madonna's music will change in the future. After all, it's only been like a year since I dived head first into her discography, so I guess hooks and melodies are still the most alluring part of her music to me right now, and eventually that will wear out a little. It's possible I'll have to forge my connection to her music from a different mindset. Who knows, maybe I'll be stanning Erotica like a lot of you by the next rate in 2025(?).

Oh, yes, I understand. I usually look for more information about the lyrics if something catches my attention when I'm playing it. I guess I'm not 100% indifferent to the lyrics, but unless it's something very deep or very... stupid, I'm not usually compelled to look them up.

That changes for a few artists though, in some contexts (eg Taylor's new album) or i nkpop (where I have a language barrier and can't pick up more than the few english words they use).

MilesAngel, Maki and nikkysan like this.
  9. Okay but something something 100 songs can't make the Top 50 and I don't see any of you putting your neck out there to say what songs you'd like to see go ddd.

But that being said, asking for Don't Tell Me to be cut is a Class A crime.

10. I'd just appreciate a bit of an 80s cull in general, it feels like some of the pre-Erotica songs are really starting to overstay their welcome.

eatyourself and phoenix123 like this.
  12. Well these are my remaining sub-9 scores, so they can all leave before Top 50.

Material Girl
    Angel
    Like a Virgin
    True Blue
    Oh Father
    Keep It Together
    Waiting
    Words
    Take a Bow
    Swim
    To Have and Not to Hold
    Has to Be
    I Deserve It
    Amazing
    Love Profusion
    Mother and Father
    Let It Will Be
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Living for Love
    Ghosttown
    Crave
    Crazy For You
    Who's That Girl
    Causing A Commotion
    I'll Remember
    I Want You
    You'll See
    Beautiful Stranger
    Celebration

13. Celebrating Celebration being in the Top 100, tihi.

The power of Generic House Beats™!

[​IMG]

Up Down Suite and AllGagaLike like this.

14. Girl Gone Wild's older sis, whew!

[​IMG]

15. LTG

LTG

16. Crazy For You, Oh Father and Material Girl?

Really?

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  17. Oh Father
    Take a Bow
    Mother and Father
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Ghosttown
    Who's That Girl
    You'll See

are all 10s or close to it.

18. Celebration is fine but it's punching well above it's weight at this point.

19. People are calling for Take A Bow???????????!????

20. I'm not surprised so few of the 80s singles have left yet. Not only are they all mostly bulletproof as songs, but there's an enormous amount of affection for them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.