Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 333 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RJF

RJF

2. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.567

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 16 - 84 of 210 (7.554)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 13 (@eatyourself @OSHi @Phonetics Boy @Andy French @BreatheBox @unnameable @joeee @DinahLee @phoenix123 @Remorque @happiestgirl @Music Is Life @Weslicious)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3.5 x 1 (@aaronhansome...?)
    MY SCORE: 6/10

The name of the phenomenon sweeping the western world as people refuse to wear masks during a global pandemic and swiftly contract the virus, my nickname in prison, and now, the name of the first song out of the Top 100 of the Madonna Discography Rate. "White Heat" leaving the rate means that True Blue has no remaining album tracks, and has nothing but its 80% bulletproof singles run remaining. I'm not surprised, and not entirely disappointed either.

The general accepted mythology behind this one is that it was actually been swirling around for a while long before True Blue came out, cycling through a few alternate titles ("Get Up, Stand Tall", "Dangerous") before eventually becoming what we know it as now. I think it came from the same sessions that "Love Makes The World Go Round" was birthed from with Patrick Leonard, which Madonna performed at Live Aid in 1985, two years before anyone would hear the studio version. The title comes from the movie that the vocal sample in the track comes from: White Heat, a 1949 movie starring James Cagney as... oh, y'all know how I feel about movies. But yes, that's him doing the "A coppa!" introduction, in what I can only assume is part of some thrilling denouement where the pigs catch up to his undoubtedly charmingly nefarious character. Madonna has a major thing for classic movies, so I'm not surprised to find it here, all about... holding someone up with your love? Holding someone at lovepoint? The US is in dire need of love control, I guess. Hell, some of you in this thread could maybe do with some restraint as well.

My thoughts? I'm... whelmed. Look, it's not entirely its fault, but let's face it: look at what it shares an album with. Why on earth would I put any stock into "White Heat" when it sits between two of the greatest pop singles of all time? What does it offer other than being yet another proficient 80s bop? I like it more than the title track and the other album tracks, but that's not exactly high praise. It just doesn't stand out. If you removed the film sample at the start of it, it would have no real defining features that makes it stand out from Madonna's best work of the time.

"White Heat" was performed as part of the relentlessly energetic Who's That Girl Tour, and received a relentlessly energetic performance, which is available to watch below for your viewing pleasure while simultaneously making you wonder what you've done with your life, sitting on your ass for the last five months. I mean I hiked over twenty miles this weekend, so I can listen with the clear conscience, but the rest of you? Get up, stand tall, etc.

3. ‘White Heat’ is great for me. It’s the perfect bridge between two of the greatest dance-pop songs ever and one of the greatest ballads ever. Happy to see it’s just scraped its way in to the top 100.

4. White Heat is competent but it shoulda been out like 20 songs ago.

Euphoria, GimmeWork, acl and 8 others like this.
  5. White Heat is definitely one of the 80s songs that was starting to overstay their welcome. It's a cute 7, which doesn't really cut it at this point.

Mr Blonde and Maki like this.
  6. Exactly. "White Heat" is the definition of a whelming song, so its time has come (I think I gave it a 7, too).
    It is the strongest album track from "True Blue", but I don't really consider it top 100 worthy.

Cutlery, joeee and soratami like this.
  7. RJF

RJF

I thought I had had another input error but no. That? She most definitely did.

8. White Heat should have outlasted True Blue tee bee aych

9. RJF

RJF

We'll have the second elimination in an hour, I think.

10. Ahh that was pleasing. Top100 and last album track with all singles in... not everyone has that.

Womanizer, Maki and joeee like this.
  11. White Heat - 9.5. This is an album highlight for me. In White Heat Jimmy Cagney plays a gangster with a mother fixation. When I was young I didn't get the word 'bust' in this context so I thought she was singing about her um, decolletage. I love everything about the song but I would have had the line be 'Put your hands up against the wall.' The song's in my Top 50.

Sleepycat likes this.
  12. It took me 25 years before I realized Jimmy Cagney was not, in fact, referring to a cup. "Howdya like that boys, a cup."

13. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.579

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 34 - 133 of 210 (6.677)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 10 (@AllGagaLike @Phonetics Boy @torontodj @joeee @Bleu Noir @clowezra @Filippa @acl @FrozenNight @tommylander)
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 2 (@matthew. @Ramalama)
    MY SCORE: 5.5/10

(It's so strange to start an elimination post with a double digit number rather than a triple digit number.)

Me, watching this slowly scale up from the 120s, into the 110s, into the 100s, and... finish at 99.

[​IMG]

Like... what is the point? A nothingy song on an album full of nothingy songs, and it manages to the be the emptiest of the lot. A redux of "Beautiful Stranger" with none of the joy and the naughtiness of the original. I mean, okay, I can kind of accept it if I think of it as a cute update to Madonna's 80s songs as she talks about cute boys cutely, but other than that, I'm not entirely sure what there is to return to. Every single thing it can do, something in Madonna's catalogue does it better. Why listen to "Amazing" when you can listen to amazing pop music instead?

The most interesting thing about "Amazing" was that it was one side of a tug of war between Warner and Madonna when it came to deciding what the fourth single from Music was going to be. Madonna wanted nonsense banger "Impressive Instant", while the label wanted "Amazing" purely for the fact that it sounded similar to "Beautiful Stranger", which had been massive at the time. Madonna didn't want to repeat herself, however (then girl, why did you record it in the first place?!) and it resulted in a stalemate where no fourth single was released. Cute fact? Outside of I'm Breathless - which doesn't really count - this was Madonna's first ever album to not spawn a fourth single. Let that sink in. Madonna went seven album campaigns and nearly twenty years before serving anything less than four singles from an album. And some of these girls have spent a decade barely getting past two singles. I can't.

I did see someone mention either in here or in the General thread that, as part of the above dispute, Madonna took "Amazing" off the setlist of Drowned World so they couldn't even use it a live recording as a video for it, but I can't find any record of it ever being on the setlist to begin with online. Was it meant to be on the setlist and she pre-emptively scrapped it? However, putting "madonna amazing" into Google does not provide the most informative of answers. The Internet is stanning though, I can tell you that much. If any of y'all have the proper info, feel free to clarify!​

14. Thank christ.

phoenix123 and Lila like this.
  15. RJF

RJF

Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Burning Up
    Holiday

Material Girl
    Angel
    Like A Virgin
    Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach
    Open Your Heart
    Live To Tell
    True Blue
    La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer
    Express Yourself
    Till Death Do Us Part
    Promise To Try
    Cherish
    Oh Father
    Keep It Together
    Spanish Eyes

Vogue

Erotica
    Deeper And Deeper
    Bad Girl
    Waiting
    Thief Of Hearts
    Words
    Rain

Survival
    Secret
    Inside Of Me
    Human Nature
    Sanctuary
    Bedtime Story
    Take A Bow

Drowned World/Substitute For Love
    Swim
    Ray Of Light
    Skin
    Nothing Really Matters
    Sky Fits Heaven
    Frozen
    The Power Of Goodbye
    To Have And Not To Hold
    Mer Girl
    Has To Be

Music
    Impressive Instant
    I Deserve It
    Don't Tell Me
    What It Feels Like For A Girl
    Paradise (Not For Me)
    Gone

American Life
    Hollywood
    Love Profusion
    Nobody Knows Me
    Nothing Fails
    Intervention
    X-Static Process
    Mother And Father
    Die Another Day
    Easy Ride

Hung Up
    Get Together
    Sorry
    Future Lovers
    Let It Will Be
    Forbidden Love
    Jump
    Isaac
    Like It Or Not

Give It 2 Me
    Miles Away
    Devil Wouldn't Recognize You​

Living For Love
    Devil Pray
    Ghosttown
    Bitch I'm Madonna (Feat. Nicki Minaj)
    Joan Of Arc
    Rebel Heart

Medellín (Feat. Maluma)
    God Control
    Crave (Feat. Swae Lee)
    I Don't Search I Find

Into The Groove
    Crazy For You
    Who's That Girl
    Causing A Commotion
    Justify My Love
    Rescue Me
    I'll Remember
    I Want You (With Massive Attack)
    You'll See
    Beautiful Stranger
    Time Stood Still
    Celebration​

16. Good fucking bye to these average songs that didn't deserve to outlast the massive Erotica cull

17. It’s a surprisingly strong bop, but the sample does some heavy lifting in terms of making it feel important. It was White Heat time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.