Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 337 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Mama this is garbage.

2. I know it's one of those songs that deserves the acclaim it gets, and I don't dislike it by any means, I just easily prefer a solid 100+ Madonna songs. I can't imagine going "ooh I'm in a Madonna mood" and putting Mer Girl on.

GimmeWork, rav4boy and Maki like this.
  3. Imagine calling for Bitch I’m Madonna or Living For Love this early. The lack of taste!

phoenix123, Bleu Noir and joeee like this.
  4. I know she did not get herself hurled across a stage by a cape for people to start calling for Living for Love to go now.

5. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Aw I love Material Girl! A classic.

6. [​IMG]

7. It’s easy if you try.

8. What, having no taste? I don’t think I can say it is!

9. Wait. Living for Love shoulda been out 50 songs ago.

Womanizer, Jwentz, Pop Life and 6 others like this.
  10. RJF

RJF

I was, predictably, in the pub. HOWEVER, I only had two. First elimination soon!

11. Welp, this was literally my thought process yesterday morning. Although I ended up starting from Frozen to build the anticipation.

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  12. If I'm walking through a shady forest on a summer day, or if it's 3am in the morning and raining outside, Mer Girl is the perfect song.

Andrew.L likes this.
  13. Mer Girl is a brilliant artful album closer up there with.....

14. Honestly I'm still upset about In This Life and Secret Garden.

:(

15. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.597

2015 PLACEMENT: DOWN 5 - 93 of 210 (7.342)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 10 (@nikkysan @Vasilios @eatyourself @torontodj @scottdisick94 @DinahLee @Sleepycat @clowezra @sexercise @Music Is Life)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@OSHi)
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

There's really nothing about this song that I dislike; it sounds so smooth; like watching honey pour from a jug, but it feels more like a toe dip into what Bedtime Stories eventually goes on to master, which would be the successful marriage of Madonna and the current sound of the time. "Survival" just sounds a little too much like the latter and not enough of the former. Like... these lyrics. Madonna has been through shit. That scene in Shawshank Redemption where that man crawls through the sewer pipe to freedom? That was Madonna's career a few years in the 90s. She more than earned her right to write songs about going through some nonsense and coming out of the other side intact through her own sheer force of will, but... notlikethis.gif. I mean, I love a wee "Live To Tell" mention as much as the next guy, but these opposites attract lyrics... no ma'am!

That's... really it. There's nothing else of note about this. Dallas Austin and Nellee Hooper worked on it and... Oh! It was the b-side to "Bedtime Story" when it became a single? That's basically it I guess. Such is the trauma of being on an album that had no tour in its honour.​

16. Has To Be and Time Stood Still need to go.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  17. Survival - 6.5. Pleasant enough but doesn't go anywhere. I need a bit more urgenncy in a song about surviving. The catchiest part is the recurring 'yeaaahhhh.'

Future Lover likes this.
  18. Survival is gorgeous, and the lyrics are a bit "fanmade t-shirt" but considering how she was just over a decade in when it was released, it's actually pretty impressive. Her impact!

I also like that the demo instrumental pretty much laid the groundwork for TLC's Creep:

19. A 6 from me, and her third weakest album opener I think.

Pop Life likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.