Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE | Page 343 | The Popjustice Forum

Madonna: The Discography Rate - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Apr 19, 2020.

1. I won’t be surprised if I gave everything in the Top 20 a 10 dddd

2. Not used to being this correct.

sfmartin likes this.
  3. I hope Vogue isn't top 5.

4. Into the Groove
    Like a Prayer
    Frozen
    Nothing Fails
    Get Together Hung Up

The power that top 5 has. I don't know a better discography.

Music Is Death, cheida and matthew. like this.
  5. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Did 'Impressive Instant' walk so Charli XCX could fly? An ATRL thread.

Womanizer, cheida, Chezam and 5 others like this.
  7. I can't stop listening to 'Give it 2 Me'. I underscored ha.

8. Despite being an undeniably great song, I find "Vogue" overrated (this can be said for several other songs, actually).

The trinity of the previous rate winners ("Like a Prayer", "Frozen" and "Hung Up"), though... Flawless.

9. RJF

RJF

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.661

2015 PLACEMENT: UP 7 - 101 of 210 (7.236)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 6 (@Andreas @1991 @joeee @BEST FICTION @Pop Life @Weslicious)
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 5 (@cheida @Butterfly @Sprockrooster @Aester @Filippa)
    MY SCORE: 8.5/10

Oh good, @Butterfly is starting to show up in the lowest scorer section. Hope you enjoyed having a scalp, sis. I don't think the girls will let you keep it for much longer.

I feel like this has always been a little underrated in terms of Madonna's catalogue. Originally born out of the emotional crisis her divorce with Sean Penn wrought, "Keep It Together" is inspired by Madonna suddenly, profoundly, missing her family after her attempt to build her own fell apart, which... is kind one of the most relatable things Madonna has ever felt. I think, even if we're not close to our families, sometimes we'll get that pang for something familiar and solid, and perhaps just the certainty of someone who is almost obligated to have your back no matter what. People who don't even have the most enviable of family situations even get that craving; that idea of missing something that you've never even had. As someone who grew up without a mother, I imagine Madonna was always haunted by things she felt she never got to know, yet missed them all the same.

But yes, this knocks. That "Family Affair" sample, the way the hook steadily repeats throughout like a mantra. The way that Prince, uncredited, is shredding it on guitar. It's a fantastic closer on an album that sees Madonna go so far and wide into her own emotions only to end on a call to come home. It's doubly affecting when you realise that she starts the album declaring that everyone is alone. We also can't talk about its status as a single without mentioning that its b-side was originally going to be... "Vogue", only for everyone with a head to realise it had too much hit potential, so they released it as a full single and stuck "Keep It Together" as its b-side in the territories it hadn't been serviced as a single. A shockingly good decision by all, for a change!

We also can't really talk about "Keep It Together" without talking about the queer reading of it, and the idea of found family, which is summed up marvellously in how the song is used in Truth Or Dare. As the finale not only to the Blond Ambition Tour, but Truth Or Dare as well, we see "Keep It Together" getting the encore treatment as we also see Madonna say goodbye to her now-iconic dancers from the tour after mothering them like the proto fag hag she is. It makes for a poignant reminder of how shared experience can sometimes create stronger bonds than blood, and that is especially true of the queer experience, let alone also being part of the most iconic pop tour of all time. It's been driven to cliché at this point, but a lot about being queer is about finding your people, because sadly the people you're initially given aren't always who are best for you. But isn't it great you get to choose?

Anyway, you can enjoy the aforementioned performance below, along with a clip of how Madonna keeps it in the family on tours.

10. [​IMG]

MilesAngel likes this.
  11. It's weird to me when "Ray of Light" isn't considered among her clearest 11/10 classics along with "Like a Prayer" and "Vogue."

12. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sense of dread I receive when I see I'm tagged in this thread, knowing full well you heifers have kicked out yet another one of my 10's. But Keep it Together ya'll.. really? I have to shout out @Mirwais Ahmadzaï for turning me onto the house-tinged single mix, that shit slaps. Elevates the song from an 8 to a 10. Gone too soon.

13. She is! But it's still soon to be talking about any of these songs

sfmartin and rav4boy like this.
  14. [​IMG]

Now girls, "Swim" is not better than any of the past 10 eliminations,
    and "Celebration" shouldn't have made the top 200.

15. I thought of Keep It Together as the weak link in Like A Prayer but I’ve warmed to it hugely over time (for many of the reasons mentioned in @RJF ’s lovely write up). It’s a deceptively important song and really the perfect way to tie up what is (and always will be) the definitive Madonna album.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  16. I still can't believe it took 30 years for me to learn Prince played on Keep It Together.

I should have known better.

Maki likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

18. Keep It Together could've stayed a little longer. Lovely write-up as always @RJF. I've seen the Blonde Ambition Tour via YouTube, but now I'm realizing that Truth Or Dare is also essential viewing.

These songs are my only scores left below 8, so they can leave next. But we're getting into the Really Good portion of the rate, so anything leaving will hurt.

19. Oh my God ...

When the Girl Gone Wild cancellation goes a step too far.

I'm kidding.

Andrew.L likes this.
  20. You totally got "Keep it Together", @RJF ! Really beautiful write-up.

Pop Life likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.